What size slab for bins

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
What size and thickness do I need for 2 upright 5 ton grain bins with augers?

I'm thinking I can store a commodity mix in one and some 14% with Rumensin in the other.

shaz":286pze0c said:
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking I can store a commodity mix in one and some 14% with Rumensin in the other.
I've seen those mounted on wooden skids before. Might be better, know it'd be cheaper.

shaz":29muh600 said:
Hey Guys,

I don't know exactly what tonnage ours are but there on 12x12 pads that are 8-10 inches thick smaller ones 8 larger ones are 10 inches and same size pad all I can tell you is they been there a good 30 years I guess through hurricanes and all.

rollinhills":tnav05cm said:
You need to have as much weight in the foundation as you have in the bin when it's full. We've done a lot of grain systems and that is the norm.
I didn't have anywhere near 3 million pounds of concrete under my bins. Think I have 100 yards under each but won't swear to that. But I know not 3 million pounds.

jedstivers":qo2cru6n said:
rollinhills":qo2cru6n said:
You need to have as much weight in the foundation as you have in the bin when it's full. We've done a lot of grain systems and that is the norm.
I didn't have anywhere near 3 million pounds of concrete under my bins. Think I have 100 yards under each but won't swear to that. But I know not 3 million pounds.

What would a hobby guy need with 3 million pounds of feed?

TennesseeTuxedo":10nyrrp1 said:
jedstivers":10nyrrp1 said:
rollinhills":10nyrrp1 said:

What would a hobby guy need with 3 million pounds of feed?
Well that's why it's only 3 million pounds.
There is three of them though but I have to leave the real work to the professionals.

midTN_Brangusman":2po66yhu said:
I have 8 inches of concrete under my 2 three ton bins, but then again, Im just a small poor worthless hobby farmer :hide:

I'm also a total loser...

jedstivers":10lyovtc said:
rollinhills":10lyovtc said:

Little different deal your bins have a large footprint, the bins he's talking about are probably 15-18' tall and about 8' or so in diameter they will catch a lot of wind for their footprint. I know the size tanks your talking about and you right not near that mush concrete in them, diameter versus height big difference I bet.

rollinhills":9poywus0 said:
jedstivers":9poywus0 said:
rollinhills":9poywus0 said:

Little different deal your bins have a large footprint, the bins he's talking about are probably 15-18' tall and about 8' or so in diameter they will catch a lot of wind for their footprint. I know the size tanks your talking about and you right not near that mush concrete in them, diameter versus height big difference I bet.
Yep, I figure that's right.

Most of the overhead bins around here are 16 ton bins with a cone and 4 rings..the slab is a little larger in diameter than the bins and the legs on them and are bolted down on all four corners. Ordinarily the feed in the cone on the bottom is heavy enough to maintain balance. Most slabs are no more than 8-10 inches deep with rebar in them and a footing around them with rebar as well.

Used to have a 6 ton bin setting on railroad ties. Did blow over while empty but took tornadic winds to do it. I'm not an engineer, but a six inch slab with half inch rebar 12 inches on center should do. Especially if you put a toe beam around the edges.

I've had a 4-1/2 ton bin on a 4" slab for 3 years now with no issues. Never gave it a second thought, but now I'm wondering if it will hold up long term. My grain bins are a foot thick around the outer 18" and 5" in the middle.

ChrisB":1g7wv0in said:
I've had a 4-1/2 ton bin on a 4" slab for 3 years now with no issues. Never gave it a second thought, but now I'm wondering if it will hold up long term. My grain bins are a foot thick around the outer 18" and 5" in the middle.

There are quite a few people here focusing on concrete thickness, but that's not the only factor to consider. I'd rather have a slab 4" thick with adequate rebar than 6" without enough.

Latest posts