What size skid steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

whitecow

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a skid steer for use around the farm. It will be used for light dirt work, feeding hay, adding commodity feedstuffs to verticle mixer, etc. What size should I be looking for? I found a good looking used Case 430 with low hours. It's about 80 hp with 2000 lb lift capacity and 5400 lb/ft bucket breakout force. Is that big enough? Is Case OK or should I be looking for a Cat or Bobcat?

I personally like Bobcat. One reason is the number of attachments available. I would buy one based on who carries what
in terms of rental attachments in my area. The 743 and newer or 843 series bobcat are great machines.

Case skidsteers are very well built. That would be more than enough for farm use. The brand doesnt matter so much any more as they all have the same quick attatch and quality is good on almost all of them now. Try to think of the heaviest thing you would be lifting on a regular basis and select a skidsteer on that. The horse power will match. Since I got my skidsteer I rarely start up my tractor anymore unless I am doing field work. The skidsteer is much more handy.
scott

whitecow":84o4eisa said:
I am thinking about buying a skid steer for use around the farm. It will be used for light dirt work, feeding hay, adding commodity feedstuffs to verticle mixer, etc. What size should I be looking for? I found a good looking used Case 430 with low hours. It's about 80 hp with 2000 lb lift capacity and 5400 lb/ft bucket breakout force. Is that big enough? Is Case OK or should I be looking for a Cat or Bobcat?
Case makes a good machine and has for many yrs I wouldn't be afraid to buy one
for yrs case was the skidsteer of choice on most construction sites

Takeuchi makes a nice skidsteer. I would look for something with rubber tracks. The rubber tired machines are almost worthless on wet ground or mud.
Bear

I have a case and a bobcat. There is not 2 cents worth of difference in quality. As for operation it is what ever control you get used to. I like the rubber tracks. Not only for mud but they tear up less ground and have less ground pressure. Lifting capacity is crucial when considering loads that are being lifted high. I would go to 3000 pound. Lifting a 1200 lb. bale to full height can make these thing a little tipsy.
Parts availability is a key issue.
My favorite is a T 300 Bobcat high flow, but I think Case has an equal.

Latest posts