What size needles?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'll be taking in 3 to 4 times a yr. fully weaned calves anywhere from 500-700 lbs. What size (gauge) needles & syringes should I have in stock?

I just pick them up by the handful at the local feedstore if I need them.

Out of curiosity, what commonly used drugs are so thick that you need a 16 guage needle? I never use larger than an
18 guage ( e.g., Micotil, LA-200, Nuflor), use a 20 for the thinner drugs like Banamine.
Also, if you are giving IM, does less come back out if you use a smaller needle?

mjnetex":13xmcy3x said:
Out of curiosity, what commonly used drugs are so thick that you need a 16 guage needle? I never use larger than an
18 guage ( e.g., Micotil, LA-200, Nuflor), use a 20 for the thinner drugs like Banamine.
Also, if you are giving IM, does less come back out if you use a smaller needle?
Only antibiotic we use is Excenel. The quicker I can get it in the less chance for the animal to jump around and have to make another hole to get the rest of the stuff in

dun":11l223lo said:
mjnetex":11l223lo said:
Only antibiotic we use is Excenel. The quicker I can get it in the less chance for the animal to jump around and have to make another hole to get the rest of the stuff in
I agree...use 16 ga for everything and the quicker you get it in the better. Even use it for IV's. In that case it slows down the administation of the solution which is also good.

I think a lot of it is personal preference. I stock 2 sizes 18x3/4 and 16x3/4. If you try putting Nuflor through anything smaller than 16 in cold weather, you're gonna be there a while and end up with a sore hand from pulling that thick stuff out and pumping it in ( there again just my personal preference).

Larry

Does anybody, when giving an IM injection of a drug that does not "sting",
rub the spot very vigorously/hard (I use my knuckles), just before sticking the needle in?
Usually the animal doesn't even feel it--I once gave a bull two injections with him standing free in the pasture :shock: --but the third time, he felt it!
(and are there any other tricks that help them not feel it so much?)

mjnetex":3ai2frq0 said:
Does anybody, when giving an IM injection of a drug that does not "sting",
rub the spot very vigorously/hard (I use my knuckles), just before sticking the needle in?
Usually the animal doesn't even feel it--I once gave a bull two injections with him standing free in the pasture :shock: --but the third time, he felt it!
(and are there any other tricks that help them not feel it so much?)

I rub it after injecting to make sure the medicine doesn't oooze out....I don't worry to much about the pin prick the cow feels.

mjnetex":2x7f03sb said:
I find, while I like the smaller needles better (somehow I think they must hurt slightly less)...that they are also more easily BENT if the animal moves around much.

The only one I had trouble with "oozing back out" was the Draxxin... its like water so I switched to a smaller needle and it worked much better (along with rubbing the site afterwards)...they say if you rub that it causes the hole to close over...

i prefer an 18 gauge. smaller bends too easily and larger seem to me to ooze more.

I give most stuff sub q so 3/4 or an inch is usually what I have.

with a closed herd most of what we give is routine vaccinations. will use and oxytetracycline for the odd sore foot or injury etc.

Latest posts