What should they bring

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
Got a couple bred heifers I THINK I am going to try and sell. Depends on what they bring.
What do in guys think they will bring.
I know it' just depends but thought I would ask.

TennesseeTuxedo":23qouh9n said:
The smart azz answer is they'll bring what they are worth in your area. I like them and if you were down the road from me I'd give you $1,500 per head.
I'd go $1501!

Lazy M":2ufkyx7c said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2ufkyx7c said:
The smart azz answer is they'll bring what they are worth in your area. I like them and if you were down the road from me I'd give you $1,500 per head.
I'd go $1501!
$1502!

Lol. Yes registered, yes bred for March to registered bull.

A local guy told me no one will want them. Offered .75 a pound. I haven't sold any bred heifers so don't really know but for .75 a pound I will keep them.

Just my humble opinion, but I would not sell them for .75. Since they are registered you probably have some advertising options. Like others have said I would not take less than $1500.

JHH":6oo89117 said:
Lol. Yes registered, yes bred for March to registered bull.

A local guy told me no one will want them. Offered .75 a pound. I haven't sold any bred heifers so don't really know but for .75 a pound I will keep them.
I'd spit on his boots

Pretty girls indeed. I can't offer much as the freight and import paperwork would take a considerable chunk of the cost, about 1/2 I suspect. You obviously can find a good market for them in Kentucky.

Nice heifers, JH. I wish you were closer, they would fit right in with my March group.

Put them on Cattlemen's connection on Facebook. People are paying way more than I would on there.

The farm is little over three hours away from you. Were they bred to a hereford bull?
I may have interest in them if I can find room.

PM me a price you want for them and I will see if it works for us.

Nobody around me letting reg bred hereford heifers go for less than 2k...similiar quality as yours there. Your local feller is trying to get them at commercial price. Cant blame a man for offering.

bball":35vjp445 said:
Nobody around me letting reg bred hereford heifers go for less than 2k...similiar quality as yours there. Your local feller is trying to get them at commercial price. Cant blame a man for offering.
He's trying to get them for kill cow pricing, which I find insulting, and I do blame people who try to rip other people off.

5S Cattle":bbnu6tlx said:
bball":bbnu6tlx said:
He's trying to get them for kill cow pricing, which I find insulting, and I do blame people who try to rip other people off.

Yep. Youre right about the kill cow pricing. I was thinking 1500 was more in line with commercial. My mistake.
He made him a low ball offer. All JHH has to do is say nope. I wish i could find cattle like his for 1500 in these parts.

I'm in Texas Panhandle. Good black baldie bred heifers and nice Hereford Heifers like tours would bring the $1500 no problem. Especially being 3rd trimester. Good luck.

JHH said:
Got a couple bred heifers I THINK I am going to try and sell. Depends on what they bring.
What do in guys think they will bring.
I know it' just depends but thought I would ask.

Many people post here that they are looking for quality Hereford heifers/cows. They are more difficult to find than quality Angus.

Herefords are also very versatile. A Hereford bull can be used to get more Herefords, of course. An Angus or Brangus bull can be used to get Black Baldies. A Charolais can be used to get Yellow Baldies. A red bull can be used to get Red Baldies. A Brahman bull can be used to get Brafords. And I am sure there are other good cross breeds.

I think $2,000 a head seems more reasonable for registered Hereford heifers bred to a registered Hereford bull.

Coosh71":26hzffg5 said:
I'm in Texas Panhandle. Good black baldie bred heifers and nice Hereford Heifers like tours would bring the $1500 no problem. Especially being 3rd trimester. Good luck.

We are fairly close and I imagine see similar prices. There is a variance in what I see asked on Cattle Range, ect and what I hear they are actually bringing. There is going to be a sale the first week of Feb with some good bred reg Hereford females in it so it will be the first true guage I will get. I've seen the registered replacements that are 17 calves priced from 1,2500- 1,750. Again that is priced and not what I hear they are bringing. Like you stated I would see no problem with theses heifers bringing $1,500 and likely a little more in this area.

Latest posts