What Should The Response Be?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky said:
Maybe he should send a special ops team over to Iran and take out the man with the fanciest towel on his head. One down and they'd know we meant business.

They have over 1million men in their army. They are also very well trained and fairly well equipped. Plus they have proxy groups all over the world that can perform terrorist attacks on key installations and power grids.

Iran is not like Iraq was. A conflict will not be a cakewalk for the US to take on alone.

sstterry said:
Lucky said:
Maybe he should send a special ops team over to Iran and take out the man with the fanciest towel on his head. One down and they'd know we meant business.

They have over 1million men in their army. They are also very well trained and fairly well equipped. Plus they have proxy groups all over the world that can perform terrorist attacks on key installations and power grids.

Iran is not like Iraq was. A conflict will not be a cakewalk for the US to take on alone.

Tough call and one I'm glad I don't have to make.

sstterry said:
Lucky said:

I don't believe that for a minute. With all the intelligence we have on Iran they'll be crippled the first day. Our forces are battle trained and toughened up compared to when we went into Iraq. The only way to stop terrorism is to put a bullet in their butt, it's been proven to work rather well.

True Grit Farms said:
sstterry said:
Lucky said:

I don't believe that for a minute. With all the intelligence we have on Iran they'll be crippled the first day. Our forces are battle trained and toughened up compared to when we went into Iraq. The only way to stop terrorism is to put a bullet in their butt, it's been proven to work rather well.
I agree.

We thought Iraq was all that. Turned out they were not.

Iran just uses others, gives them money, and equipment.

I think they would fall fast, but they'd be a pain in the rear, but they already are, so, new day, same old crap.

The Iranian response to the stand down:

Mohammad Marandi, head of the American Studies department at the University of Tehran, said Iranians have little faith in the US, and Trump's decision to pull back from the planned attack was unlikely to improve relations as long as the punishing sanctions remained in place.

"I don't think Trump is respected by anyone whether he orders a stand-down or not. You can ask families who lost family members due to lack of medicine, especially for cancer patients, what they feel about Trump and the US government," he said from Tehran.

The "real deterrent" in the current situation was the fact "the Iranians were able to down the most advanced American drone using stealth technology with an Iranian-made surface-to-air missile," he said, adding that Trump may have stood down because he recognised any Iranian response to a US attack would be "relentless and disproportionate".

TennesseeTuxedo said:
sstterry said:
Lucky said:

Indeed it would be a tough call. One would really have to trust the Intel. Problem with Intel, if someone smelled a rat the intell may have been planted and then you'd just look foolish.

It would be a tough call, think he made the right one, don't want another one of them mother of all battles in the middle east, don't worry their not done provoking us.

LRTX1 said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
sstterry said:

Indeed it would be a tough call. One would really have to trust the Intel. Problem with Intel, if someone smelled a rat the intell may have been planted and then you'd just look foolish.

Man I hear ya, funny thing about rats is they run in packs so you're constantly having to squash one.

haase said:
It would be a tough call, think he made the right one, don't want another one of them mother of all battles in the middle east, don't worry their not done provoking us.
Their like that bully in school, they'll stay on you like a duck on a June bug..till you've had enough..only one way to deal with a bully.they only know one way..our problem is,we care more about dying than they do

ALACOWMAN said:
haase said:
Their like that bully in school, they'll stay on you like a duck on a June bug..till you've had enough..only one way to deal with a bully.they only know one way..our problem is,we care more about dying than they do

Thinking you have 72 black eyed virgins waiting for might have something to do with it.

It's not really surprising what turns up in them traps, there relying on the sympathizers to help them out, c'mon Russia still needs them, pretty sad, but hey that's Russia, we still have sympathizers here, like the one that couldn't whip his way out of a wet paper bag, and to be honest, he couldn't do it in his prime.

hurleyjd said:
Was the response satisfactory for all of you. What now maybe a little diplomacy.

Although I agree with not killing 150 people I don't agree with the lack of response. I think it just makes Iran stick their chests out a little more and makes them feel like they can do this again with no repercussions. I think we should have picked a different target that would have been a property loss. I also think your diplomacy suggestion is pretty far fetched. We tried that for a bunch of years and you see where that's gotten us. These people don't mind dying for their cause so they laugh at diplomacy.

The only thing Russia needs Iran for is another region in which to expand their sphere of influence, and have another market for their weapons sales. Iran on the other hand, desperately needs Russia.
I would not be surprised to hear Putin has sent a squadron of aircraft and a battalion of troops to Iran as a warning to the US, just as they did with Syria a few years ago and more recently in Venezuela.
Putin likes to stir crap up just because he can.

The biggest problem I see is that this whole scenario resembles a giant chess game. One side is trying to guess and anticipate the other sides next move. Theoretically, most chess moves provoke a rather typical and proportional counter move from the opponent. There are a limited number of possible counter moves. In chess, you can't take a pawn, move it diagonally, knock over a knight, then slide it sideways and take out a rook, bishop, and the queen and capture the king. The rules don't allow this. But this game we are playing doesn't have rules. We have no way of knowing what the counter move will be.

Newtons 3rd Law of Motion says that for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction. This is true in physics. Not so much in global relations. We may choose to bomb an empty Iranian wooden storage building. They may choose to retaliate by sending a Nuclear warhead towards downtown Manhattan. Or who knows where. They are looking for a fight. They have nothing to lose. Life means nothing to them. To die is an honor for them. They aren't concerned with whether or not they have enough feed to get the cows through the winter. All they want to do is get to those 70 virgins they've been promised. As mentioned in an earlier post, the reaction may very well be disproportionate. In days gone by, if you hit a man in the mouth, a fistfight was likely to occur. Now a days, if you hit a man in the mouth, he's liable to shoot you. And whoever is with you. And bystanders. Or maybe your whole family. Who knows. People are crazy. Disproportionate response.

I'm not saying lay down and hide. But in the world we live in, the response needs to be very well thought out.
Kinda like watering corn. Don't put out 3/10 on Monday and 3/10 on Wednesday and 3/10 on Saturday. Put out an inch on Monday. Give it what it needs. Don't tease it. And if it is determined that a blow is to be dealt, hit to kill. Annihilate. Don't tease them.

I will end in saying that it is a decision, with potential unknown repercussions, that I'm very thankful that I don't have to make.

In diplomacy, even "gunboat diplomacy" what is said in public on either side means very little..that public commentary is 95% made for domestic public consumption and not for the other side.
What is said in private communications, even if the message is delivered by 3rd party is of far greater importance than what is said publicly...and often, it's what is left unsaid that matters most of all.

I too am glad I don't have to make these kind of decisions.

Latest posts