what should i grow in my pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

rodeoking06

Reaction score
HI...i just built a pasture to hold 1 steer. and i was wondering what should i grow that would be good for my steer

Few years ago I seeded with a 5-way pasture mix. Very hardy and still green and lush now. My bull has alfalfa available, but is still munching the pasture. I'm very happy with the mix.

Jay":1ehplx57 said:
txshowmom":1ehplx57 said:
Ya think? Wow, I would of never guessed that.... :lol:

I was thinking steel pipes. There's a shortage of steel right now and they could bring a really good price come harvest time. It grows real well in certain areas and if planted early enough in the fall a good rancher could get 2 cuttings off one planting. One thing to be aware if is the rust, but if not to much moisture during growing season that shouldn't be a problem.

Another option would to plant some cement, but in most areas it doesn't get tall enough to harest with a combine.

Mr. Caustic Bruno may have some other suggestions if he can figure out how to come in out of the rain.

Post Holes would be good to plant on half the field La4, that way when he harvest the steel for post. By rotational planting he could meet the customers need by supplying fence post and post holes heck of a package deal.

Caustic Burno":3ls29vvg said:
Post Holes would be good to plant on half the field La4, that way when he harvest the steel for post. By rotational planting he could meet the customers need by supplying fence post and post holes heck of a package deal.

Mr. Bruno, I have thought of post holes, but not knowing where rodeoking's ranch is located I would be leary of recommending them
If he/she is in a fairly dry area they would do OK. But in an area which tends to get lots of rain during certain seasons of the yeat the crop will tend to stay flooded, and postholes don't do well when under water. The rust on steel pipes can be taken care after harvest, and cement does OK in wet weather. Before planting an acre of postholes in a wet climate the producer should have Flood Insurance which is very expensive. Something else to think about is that many ranchers are using the Steel T Post's so there is less demand for post holes as time passes.
With more houses being built and highways being built it seems to me that the demand for a bumper crop of cement would outweigh the demand for post holes over the next several years. Mr Bruno I don't want to start a fight with you over this so if you feel comfortable planting Post Holes you just go right ahead. Just My Opinion

cherokeeruby":108053ii said:
Ya'll just can't let that post hole thing go can you?

:cry: :(

:cry2:

Common Cherokee
You wanna buy some Post Holes you gonna have to buy some from Camp or Craig.. One of them probaly'll let some go. I not gonna plant no more oof them buggers. If Camp floods out Craig probaly have a good crop anyhow. He be closer to you so you save on shipping. :D :lol:

rodeoking06":36ytfvbe said:
HI...i just built a pasture to hold 1 steer. and i was wondering what should i grow that would be good for my steer

Your particular location will make a difference as to what forages would be appropriate. What is currently growing in the pasture ? Is it a grass/forage that could be improved with fertilization or adjusting the ph?

dun

la4angus":kvwy23zz said:
cherokeeruby":kvwy23zz said:
Ya'll just can't let that post hole thing go can you?

:cry: :(

:cry2:

Common Cherokee
You wanna buy some Post Holes you gonna have to buy some from Camp or Craig.. One of them probaly'll let some go. I not gonna plant no more oof them buggers. If Camp floods out Craig probaly have a good crop anyhow. He be closer to you so you save on shipping. :D :lol:

I'm running a little leery of post holes these days. I had a whole pasture full of four footers, kept them a little long and the market started to soften. It looked like two footers were picking up and I cut them all in half. Now the four footers are bringing a premium and I'm stuck with the wrong stock. If you've ever tried to couple those things back together you know what a headache it is. I just hope to get my money back out of them.

Craig-TX

rodeoking,

If at possible I would try to put two steers in the pasture. They are herd animals and he would be much happier. If you can tell us where you are I'm sure someone can give you an idea of what is best to plant or you can contact your local extension office.

JB

I am not that familiar with East Central Arkansas. But what I would do is plant a 50/50 mixture of Orchard grass and Endophyte free Fescue like MAXQ brand. Sow the Orchard Grass at about 10-15 pounds per acre, and the Fescue at about 30 pounds per acre. Then I would mix in a Legume like Ladino (white clover) or Alfalfa but do not exceed 25% of the total planting for pasture as a Legume. Legumes contain nitrates and will cause the grazing animals to bloat in springtime. However, they are very high in protein and will help put nitrogen back into the soil and reduce your fertilizer needs.
First I would get a soil sample and send to my local extension agent to determine the amount of lime needed. The Soil PH will be one of the most important items in achieving a healthy pasture. Lime in the fall and fertilize in the spring. Another thing if possible I would allow for one whole growing season before I began grazing to allow the pasture to get established and the grasses to establish a deep root system. Otherwise cattle will tend to pull the grass up by the roots while grazing.

Generally speaking it is recommended that you have one acre of pasture per animal. You can exceed this in the spring and possibly summer depending upon the amount of water and how well your pasture is. However, you will most likely have to supplement this with hay in the winter time.

Hope this helps.

Go ask your county agent or NRCS officer. They can help. I like in my area costal, but anything that is native to your area is probly good.

Scotty

Hi Beefy,
Sorry, I don't remember what the grasses were. I bought it on the advice from the store, that it grows well locally here.

Latest posts