What should I feed this calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Circle7

Reaction score
Should I try to feed this calf milk replacer, calf starter, or calf manna (if I can get it):

I got a calf 7 days ago. I think he's about 4 or 5 months old. He never found his place at the feeder, because one leg was crippled during a fight his mother had with a predator when he was born (she plowed up a 40 foot circle around him fighting), so he only had milk and grass.

When I got him, I gave him creep and he bloated. He survived the bloat, and I have only given him hay and water since, but he is losing a lot of weight.

Is it safe to try a bottle at this point, or is the bloat risk too high? What is the best way to get some good nutrition into him?

Thanks,

if he ate creep feed & bloated, he probably ate to much. did you start him on just a couple of lbs a day. I would try him again on feed, start slowly with 2 lbs & building up a lb extra every 2 or 3 days. see how he handles this. make sure he has good hay & water

Thanks. I will try him again on just a small amount of creep in the morning, and watch him closely.

Circle7":3tdszbbo said:
Should I try to feed this calf milk replacer, calf starter, or calf manna (if I can get it):

I got a calf 7 days ago. I think he's about 4 or 5 months old. He never found his place at the feeder, because one leg was crippled during a fight his mother had with a predator when he was born (she plowed up a 40 foot circle around him fighting), so he only had milk and grass.

When I got him, I gave him creep and he bloated. He survived the bloat, and I have only given him hay and water since, but he is losing a lot of weight.

Is it safe to try a bottle at this point, or is the bloat risk too high? What is the best way to get some good nutrition into him?

Thanks,
Back up and start over. Give him a good heavy dose of Probios then start him out with a hand full of a simple horse and mule feed or even a creep pellet....but do it 3-4 times a day until his rumen can adapt to it. Then gradually increase it until he's eating as much as you want him to eat but continue to break the feedings up into numerous small meals per day. Keep the hay, grass and water available at all times as well.

Latest posts