What should I feed a 4H steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

clubbiebreeder

Reaction score
For the past few years my family has fed COB to our 4H steer and we have finally decided that needs to end, because we're constantly worrying we're feeding too much or we're worried we're not gaining? What would be something good to feed our steers? Or if you have any tips I'm happy to learn new tips

For the past few years my family has fed COB to our 4H steer
First off, WELCOME to the cattle forum. :)
What is COB? and your 4H project is one 3 yr old 4H steer?

Google search tells me COB is Corn, Oats, Barley mix by Producers Pride
and sells for $600 ton. That's 30 cents a pound.
How many pounds per day have you been feeding?

Montana has a lot of good cattleman and 4H is supposed to be a learning experience. You should find a local mentor.

A lot more information is needed to provide you with useful advice for your situation. What are your goals? What is your family's experience with cattle?
What resources do you have or what is available?
What have you been doing with the steer to date?

There are a lot of helpful knowledgeable people here that will help, if you could provide more specific information. And again welcome to the cattle forum. :)

Last edited:
My family normally feeds cob because we feed calves out for a longer period of time, and we start 4H calves out a month after weaning, we try to feed abt 15 pounds per day for one steer, I don't currently have a steer, he sold last weekend, but I just need something that would help put on weight faster than cob, like just a common mix or something, also thanks for the welcome! It's a lot of fun being here and learning! I do a lot of research on cow breeds and that's how I found this site!

First off, WELCOME to the cattle forum. :)
What is COB? and your 4H project is one 3 yr old 4H steer?

Google search tells me COB is Corn, Oats, Barley mix by Producers Pride
and sells for $600 ton. That's 30 cents a pound.
How many pounds per day have you been feeding?

Montana has a lot of good cattleman and 4H is supposed to be a learning experience. You should find a local mentor.

A lot more information is needed to provide you with useful advice for your situation. What are your goals? What is your family's experience with cattle?
What resources do you have or what is available?
What have you been doing with the steer to date?

There are a lot of helpful knowledgeable people here that will help, if you could provide more specific information. And again welcome to the cattle forum. :)
I'm sorry I just realized I said 4H steer as singular, I meant it as plural, now wonder you were confused 😂

For a general show conditioner feed (whether sale heifers, show heifers or finishing show steers) I always used a COB base and then added cottonseed hulls, a dab of brewers yeast, and if more of a finishing ration, extra cracked corn. A cheaper ration is rolled oats, cracked corn, cottonseed hulls and brewers yeast. For a grower ration add in a protein pellet.

You might do a search on Steer Planet for the "AAOC Ration" which is a homemade ration that works really well.

For a general show conditioner feed (whether sale heifers, show heifers or finishing show steers) I always used a COB base and then added cottonseed hulls, a dab of brewers yeast, and if more of a finishing ration, extra cracked corn. A cheaper ration is rolled oats, cracked corn, cottonseed hulls and brewers yeast. For a grower ration add in a protein pellet.

You might do a search on Steer Planet for the "AAOC Ration" which is a homemade ration that works really well.
Okay, thank you so much! I'll look into those!

Latest posts