What should I do?

Help Support CattleToday:

What should I do with the scuppernongs?

• Buy a Jack LaLanne Juicer and run them through it for some organic breakfast juice

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Lay up in the bed and ask my wife to feed them to me as she massages my feet

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Make Jelly

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Make Wine

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Hand feed them to the cows

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Picked about 30 lbs of scuppernongs and was considering the altermatives.

IMG_6725.jpg

I voted for wine. My husband has 10 gallons or so of Mustang grape wine working in an air conditioned storage building. The best wine that he made was a mix of mulberry and wild grapes.

hooknline":1908pwfq said:
What exactly is a scuppernong?

Its similar to a muscadine but it comes from the carolinas and they are light green balls of sugar.

Pdfangus, that was my first choice but after I got that look I figured I best just make some wine. Got about six gallons on now and its just started to ferment.

Chippie, I've heard good reviews on the Mustang grapes. We don't have them here but I think they would be similar to our wild muscadines. There was some grapes crossed in Texas that are very similar to those in France but they would take our southern heat. Seems like someone at Texas A&M came up with them. I was supposed to get some this spring but I forgot.

Yep, I voted for the wine. I figure if you're going go to all the trouble of juicing them, might as well do what grapes do best!

I didn't see an option for running them through a power juicer and using the juice for wine and the scraps for livestock feed and then having my wife....nevermind...
Juicing first is a quick way to make some pretty good wine. I ran some half frozen persimmons through a juicer today and dumped the juice into a batch of mead. You get all the taste but not the haze and you're left with free chicken feed. :D

Just racked some blueberry wine and kept a small glass for test purposes. Apparantly 2012 was a good year for berries because this is showing some real promise.

IMG_6731.jpg