What shots do I give?

Help Support CattleToday:

T-Bone

Reaction score
I have three (~10mo) crossbreed heifers and one bull (~12-14mo). What shots are necessary and what is recommended? My goal is to have them ready to breed in 4-5mo.

T-Bone":9cthllc1 said:
I have three (~10mo) crossbreed heifers and one bull (~12-14mo). What shots are necessary and what is recommended? My goal is to have them ready to breed in 4-5mo.

We vaccinate all of our animals with 5ml of the following, administered SQ in the neck.

Virashield 6 + VL5
Electroid 7 (Blackleg)

If it's their first time to be vaccinated, they get a booster of each around 4 weeks later. From then on, they are vaccinated annually in the spring.

Heifers get OCV (bangs vaccination) before 12 months of age. This can only be adminerstered by vet.

I would recommend you make an appointment with a local vet and take the 3 hefiers to him/her for their OCV. At that time, ask the vet what they recommend as far as vaccines, purchase the vaccines, and adminster.

I agree with the suggestions to take them to your vet for the first round. Watch closely, ask questions, and try to buy some of your products from your vet in the future. You want to develop a relationship with your vet that is beneficial to both of you.

Once you get started doing your own vaccinations, you might find some information in the thread that I've linked below that could help you. Or some information that could possibly answer some questions you might have about injection site reactions. You might have to wade through some useless and factually incorrect information to find the good stuff, though. Good luck.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 090#118090

Thanks everyone I worked up the nerve and gave an 8-way (Sitegurd MLG) myself after talking to a few vets. Was'nt easy. I think I'll be ready for the booster. Any one have any tips? Thanks for all your help!

Here's how we decided on a vaccination program. We looked up the auctions in the area and what shots they required for their vaccinated calf certified programs. We might spend a little more for shots, but we know we have healthy stock and we always have the option of selling them at one of the value added sales.

Good luck

Latest posts