What Select Sire bull to use?

Help Support CattleToday:

We didn't realize that GAR Predestined was DDC and had used him last fall on one cow. Luckily we then tested her and she's DDF, but she can still have a DDC calf, which is annoying.

In terms of recommendations from the Select Sire Angus bulls, in addition to the above cows, we are expecting calves this summer from Rito 2x16 (on heifers) and from Weigh Up on our cows.

Give a look to SAV Mustang. He's not one that sees a lot of use but recently saw him in person and followed that by purchasing two sons. Moderate, thick cattle.

I have a couple of New Day 454 calves on the ground that I really like so far. I bred a load of heifers to Top Hand last year. I called the guy I sold them to and he was really happy with the ease that they calved.

Dave":1ozsmbu7 said:
I have a couple of New Day 454 calves on the ground that I really like so far. I bred a load of heifers to Top Hand last year. I called the guy I sold them to and he was really happy with the ease that they calved.

454 is another DDC that SS are selling, I agree on the calves, seen some good ones a couple of years ago but we'd used Boyd New Day heavily (and still do) since '03 so luckily didn't have a place to use him.

A couple of bulls to consider that I have seen offspring of and been very impressed with are Connealy Confidence and Connealy Capitalists. Confidence is calving ease and the capitalists have been very deep bodied. If you want to add carcass look at GAR Prophet. I am on board as well with the idea of crossbreeding. The Redeem Bull at SS looks good.

millstreaminn":3a3lgkkt said:
I'm going to sync my cattle in a month and was wondering what bull you would recommend I use on my commercial angus? These cows are daughters of New Design 878 and Gar Predestined. I just usually just pick a bull based on price- like to stay around 50 a straw. My Select Sire tech doesn't AI many beef cattle so I need to preorder the semen so he can get anything Select Sires offers. I am mainly looking for low birthweight and docile cows. I'm only breeding 8 cows so I would like to stick to one bull. All of my cattle seem to have similar builds, they are large framed, easy fleshing with good feet and udders. I was thinking about trying War Party but am open to any good bull.

Here's a summer pic of one of the cows. Thanks!

Hey Mills, How about an update on what you decided to do and photos of the results?

Haven't really looked at Select's lineup in a while.
Next door neighbors use SS bulls almost exclusively. They ought 50 units of Regis semen a couple of years ago...have not been very pleased with the calves...mostly out of 6I6 influenced dams.
Without spending a lot of time looking, if I had to pick a SS Angus sire, Connealy Shrek would probably get the nod here - a good-footed son of Protege(evidently feet have been a problem with his offspring). Hardly any 6807 influence in my herd, and Shrek brings it top & bottom.

But...I'd rather come over those black cows with a good Hereford or Simmental bull(Raisin' Cain or Mr.Olie)

If you want to stick with Angus, I have heard really good things about the TC Thunder bull. He sires daughters with excellent teat and udder structure and has been promoted as one, if not the best footed Angus bull in the Select Sires lineup. In the fall Select Sires newsletter they have some of their sales reps write comments on bulls working in their area. Two or possibly three reps mentioned TC Thunder and his popularity with producers in their areas.

Early last year I saw some really good Capitalist calves, so I bred some females to him in May. We have had a couple heifer calves out of him so far. They both weighed in the low 70's at birth and got up and nursed quickly. Though they are very young, so far I am pleased with them.

Others have posted that they would encourage you to consider crossbreeding to capture some hybrid vigor. I agree with this. Some research has shown that a crossbred cow will return $100 more annually on average due to a higher conception rate, heavier weaning weights, and greater longevity.

cbcr":1lzc244w said:
If you are going to stick with breeding them Angus, the DDC is something you need to watch out for. Even though some of the bulls that Select carries are DDF, close up parentage are DDC, With you already having a potential for the DDC with the breeding you have I personally would stay away from anything that DDC up close.

You don't believe the bulls tested DDF Are actually DDF?