What Say You ??????

Help Support CattleToday:

Ol' 243

Reaction score
I'm going to have 24 heifers ready to breed back for their 2nd calf in January, they are Semi/ Angus out of full blooded stock on both sides. I have a guy here locally that is trying to convince me to put a Beefmaster bull on them. He swears it is the best combination he has ever had. What say's the experience here on CT?

While I don't have any experience with that particular cross, it should make some good calves. Will they work in your market?

Rafter S":2t94cwyt said:
While I don't have any experience with that particular cross, it should make some good calves. Will they work in your market?

Market is not my issue, I can sell everything I can produce via private treaty. I'm just looking for something that will mash the scales with good quality beef.

Ol' 243":1derkuvp said:
Rafter S":1derkuvp said:

Market is not my issue, I can sell everything I can produce via private treaty. I'm just looking for something that will mash the scales with good quality beef.

Then I believe you'll be happy with the Beefmaster, but I'm sure you'll get other opinions (probably from some who aren't familiar with the benefits those of us in warm climates get from Brahman influence in our cattle).

being 30 minutes south of you, in Letohatchee, I would agree one of the best crosses, a vet I know ran that cross, it was Simmy Beefmaster cows with a Angus bull. he sold them Private treaty at weaning for 850 a heifer back when prices were low about 8 years ago. Even his steers were bought off the farm, he never sale barned a thing.

You will be much better off to breed them to a good Hereford or Angus bull. If you breed Simangus to Beefmaster who knows what color calves you will get...spots, brindles who knows.

Rusty Faucet":3jgfyt8n said:
You will be much better off to breed them to a good Hereford or Angus bull. If you breed Simangus to Beefmaster who knows what color calves you will get...spots, brindles who knows.

I don't give a shyt if they come out pink, as long as they mash the scales with quality beef. I stated earlier in this thread that I sell everything I can produce private treaty. My customer don't care about color. I'm looking for the best, fastest growing, heat tolerant, beef I can produce.

What about charolais? With the sim and angus to improve the meat quality, char will grow them quicker than anything.

Ol' 243":53u4oj6y said:
Rusty Faucet":53u4oj6y said:

I don't give a shyt if they come out pink, as long as they mash the scales with quality beef. I stated earlier in this thread that I sell everything I can produce private treaty. My customer don't care about color. I'm looking for the best, fastest growing, heat tolerant, beef I can produce.

You'd get some good heterosis w/ a heat tolerant Continental breed...Aubrac. They do quite well in the heat -- their coloration helps with that.

I happened to buy 8 bred Simangus heifers last fall that were bred to a Beefmaster bull. I am really impressed with the calves, they are very growthy and deep. They had 4 red bull calves and 4 black heifers, kinda funny how it worked out like that.

Lazy M":34lzz7hh said:
What about charolais? With the sim and angus to improve the meat quality, char will grow them quicker than anything.

X2. This is also then a true 2 or 3 way cross as well.

Charolais is also heat tolerant and can do better in putting more pounds in the calves than Beefmaster.

Ideally you want the brahman influence in your cow herd, not on the terminal side. If Simmentalxangus works for your cows then you don't really need much Brahman. The success of crossbreeding lies with the use of pure bulls over (planned) crossbred females.

As far as quality beef goes I'd stick to British breeds or even maybe Charolais, but try and steer clear of everything that claims to have lean flavourful beef or any inicus influences.