What rural publications do you read (US)?

Help Support CattleToday:

Which of these do you read?

• American Agriculturist

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Mid-South Farmer

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • The Farmer-Stockman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western Farmer-Stockman

• California Farmer

• Southern Farmer

• Missouri Ruralist

• Farm Futures

• Wallaces Farmer

• Other- let us know what you read

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

I'm just wondering what papers/magazines people read.... I've listed some of the ones I could find but if there's something missing, let us know.
Why do you read these publications and what sort of things are in them?

Never heard of any on the list.

Let see, read is not the best word, scan thru is more appropriate.

The Progessive Farmer
Farm Journal
Land and Livestock Post
Southern Livestock Standard
Hay and Forages
Beef
The Gulf Coast Cattleman
Texas Agriculture

And probably some I forget righ now.

I read
American Agriculturist
Farm Journal
Northeast Dairy Business
Hoard's Dairyman
Country Folks
I also get the Angus Journal that comes out once a year or so for Association members....but that is mostly ads.

Dad got Progressive Farmer and Farmer Stockman for years. I can remember being a little kid and thinking how boring they were. No toy ads! :D

Lammie":xa97iyy1 said:
Dad got Progressive Farmer and Farmer Stockman for years. I can remember being a little kid and thinking how boring they were. No toy ads! :D
I get Gulf Coast Cattleman. I like to look at the pictures.

Haven't seen a copy of Hoard's Dairyman in years. It was depressing just to look at.
What about it Love Moo. Is it still dreary looking?

Lammie":1wrx42n8 said:

Being a girl and all, I guess you didn't drool over the machinery ads?

We get the Lancaster Farming, Country Folks, and the Register(Simmental Mag). And two copies of the Angus Journal.

john250":3i3f28cm said:
Lammie":3i3f28cm said:

Being a girl and all, I guess you didn't drool over the machinery ads?

Not back then, but I do now.

At home we get Rural Missouri through the electric coop.

At work, we get a lot of the livestock publications but usually time doesn't permit actually reading them all, all they way thru.
Angus Journal
Limousin World
Simmental Register
Braunvieh magazine
Record Stockman
Gulf Coast Cattleman
Southern Livestock Standard
Western Livestock Journal (? I think that's the title. Lee Pitts writes the cover editorial??)
New Mexico Stockman
Missouri Cattlemens Assn magazine
SuperLooper
Spin to Win Rodeo
Dally Times
The Wrangler
And others I can't think of at the moment.

One that I wish we received is the Stockman Grass Farmer.

we read:
florida cattlemens
progressive farmer
american simmental
and theres a few more florida ag magazines we read too

High plains journal
Western livestock journal
I don't get the Angus journal anymore I couldn't carry it back to the house without stopping to rest several times.
Fastline
Tractor house
When I lived in Ohio I got the Farm and Dairy
Plus several of the other already mentioned.

It would be great if we could get some of the US or Canadian rural papers here in Australia. It would allow a much better apparaisal of rural life in these countries. Our rural newspapers used to take quite a while to read. I can polish of the three that I get each week in about 1 to 2 hours reading the bits that interest me. Our rural newspapers are far too expensive to advertize in for the return you get. How much do your papers cost? Ours that I read, Queensland Country Life and The Land cost $3.40. The Stock and Land costs $2.10 ( thats all its worth too, nothing much in it) Most landholders in our area read the interstate paper because we are right near the border. Suppose it's the same in the US.

Australian":1gavrbv4 said:
It would be great if we could get some of the US or Canadian rural papers here in Australia. It would allow a much better apparaisal of rural life in these countries. Our rural newspapers used to take quite a while to read. I can polish of the three that I get each week in about 1 to 2 hours reading the bits that interest me. Our rural newspapers are far too expensive to advertize in for the return you get. How much do your papers cost? Ours that I read, Queensland Country Life and The Land cost $3.40. The Stock and Land costs $2.10 ( thats all its worth too, nothing much in it) Most landholders in our area read the interstate paper because we are right near the border. Suppose it's the same in the US.

Farm and Ranch Living Magazine. [google it]
You can get this in Australia for about $30 per year.
This will give you the best information on rural North American living, of any rural publication I've seen.

Latest posts