What Ratio of These Bi-Products for Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

u4411clb

Reaction score
Texas Bred or anyone else out there that is a feed guru. I am trying to plan for this winter. As a supplement for my cows it looks like I will be able to get good prices this year on whole cotton seeds, cracked corn and gin trash. What combination or ratio can I use of these bi-products can I use to supplement my cows since I can get all of them for a decent price locally. Or is there something else I should add? I will have free choice 7% protein fescue and clover hay early and Johnson grass hay that we are rolling this week later on in the year and free choice minerals to go along with it.

u4411clb":1hzc3ae4 said:
Texas Bred or anyone else out there that is a feed guru. I am trying to plan for this winter. As a supplement for my cows it looks like I will be able to get good prices this year on whole cotton seeds, cracked corn and gin trash. What combination or ratio can I use of these bi-products can I use to supplement my cows since I can get all of them for a decent price locally. Or is there something else I should add? I will have free choice 7% protein fescue and clover hay early and Johnson grass hay that we are rolling this week later on in the year and free choice minerals to go along with it.
Whole cottonseed has the best of everything and gives you the most bang for your money. Protein, fat,fiber and energy and makes good rich milk if cows are nursing calves. I use to feed 5-6 lbs. per head per day to dairy cattle. Would use it now but operation is too small and I don't have storage facilities. Might add that fed heavily to bulls over several months time it can cause temporary sterility due to gossypol content..... I'd feed gin trash limited or free choice only if I had a shortage of hay.

So you would leave off the corn and gin trash all together. Corn is about $3.75 a bushel and gin trash is about $15 a ton and the whole cotton seed is about $200 a ton. Any way to mix in corn or trash to cut my bill a little? I am hoping this is only for Jan and Feb for cows and Dec - March for heifers so are you suggesting I should just bite the bullet and fork over the money for the whole cotton seed?

u4411clb":13op98rz said:
So you would leave off the corn and gin trash all together. Corn is about $3.75 a bushel and gin trash is about $15 a ton and the whole cotton seed is about $200 a ton. Any way to mix in corn or trash to cut my bill a little? I am hoping this is only for Jan and Feb for cows and Dec - March for heifers so are you suggesting I should just bite the bullet and fork over the money for the whole cotton seed?
Sure you can always mix in corn. It will provide extra energy but is low in protein (8%) so will also lower the protein level of the total ration. You can also replace the hay completely with burrs if you wish. Sounds cheap enough anyway and burrs usually have a guarantee of around 8%.

Latest posts