What protocol have you had the best luck with AIng?

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
I've heard that CIDRs are really good. I've heard others that heat detect for 5 days, give a shot of lutalace (sp) and time breed the rest. What's your opinion?

What would it cost me to breed 35 head if Genex or someone similar came out and did it on my place?

Most places charge between 20-50 buck a head to AI. Now, that is NOT including any meds or heat syncro. that just the cost to AI. If you use the Cdrs (which are the best) and Lut you are looking at about 7.50 a head if you use the cdrs twice, if you only want to use them once then its about 12.50 a head. I hope this helps.

Over the years, we have had as high as 75% first service conception with synch programs and as low as 30%. Different years and herds, different success. CIDRS in 2 local herds ran around 65%. We run well over 95% first sevice conception with natural heats and standing heat observation.

dun

I gotta a question:

I have pretty calm cows and can get them up with feed any time I want to. If I use CIDRs on them, I will have to handle them three times. If I totally depend on them being willing to get up, will they get more spooky being handled that many times?

redangus":3vimvwfy said:
dun,

do you have a name in central arkansas

Nope. But if you check with GENEX, ABS or Select Sires, they may have reps that regularly service your area.

dun

Used CIDR's and shots this time and out of 103, all but 3 were bred. I think it worked alot better then feeding the MGA with the Lute shots, which we did last year. You have to run them thru the chute about the same amount of times so you don't really gain anything with handling. I think if you cake them or treats of some kind each time you corral them it helps make the experience a little better for them.
As far as using CIDR's twice, it's not recommended, but Canada has a higher dose CIDR than the ones in the U.S., so supposedly they can be used twice.

have pretty calm cows and can get them up with feed any time I want to. If I use CIDRs on them, I will have to handle them three times. If I totally depend on them being willing to get up, will they get more spooky being handled that many times?

We give them the shot of lut and pull the Cidr the same day so we only have to run them through the chute twice.

Latest posts