What % protein?

Help Support CattleToday:

How big a animal and how much growth do you expect to put on each day? A medium frame 600# steer needs over a pound of protein just to put on a half pound a day...almost two pounds to put on three pounds that is with thirteen and a half pounds of dry matter...about 12% of its diet is protein....gets a little complicated when figuring out exact percentages and every animal is a little different.
We feed a high quality alfalfa 14+% and some suppliment in the third trimester.....Some of the more eloquient will say it better, I'm sure....DMc

S.R.R.":3ktr2je0 said:
What % are we looking for to maintain a good healthy beef cow.
You left out the most important information---a good healthy wet beef cow or a good healthy dry one?

A 1,300-1,350 pound wet cow needs about three pounds per day of protein. I would think around 13% in the total ration should get her that easily. I've always figured that if I had 12-13% protein hay, I could winter wet cows without supplement. These are just rough figures off the top of my head. Maybe somebody can post a link to something better.

I currently run a small stocker operation out of south Florida. I run about 200 head of lightweight stocker calves (200-500 lbs.). I currently feed bakery waste (bread and sweets) mix with a very light ration of 12% weaning medicated feed. The calves run on native Bermuda grass and on all the feed they want. They will gain about 1.0 to 1.3 lbs a day. I was wondering if I just putting them on just straight feed what kind of results would I be getting. And would it be feasible to feed just feed.

rchile":3j7jrm8v said:
I currently run a small stocker operation out of south Florida. I run about 200 head of lightweight stocker calves (200-500 lbs.). I currently feed bakery waste (bread and sweets) mix with a very light ration of 12% weaning medicated feed. The calves run on native Bermuda grass and on all the feed they want. They will gain about 1.0 to 1.3 lbs a day. I was wondering if I just putting them on just straight feed what kind of results would I be getting. And would it be feasible to feed just feed.

I think if it were me I would want some hay and or grass along with that kind of diet rchile.
bif

S.R.R. - My weather is a "little" closer to yours. We run our nursing cows with the bred heifers. They get all the baleage they can eat, with good mineral & fresh water. That's all. The baleage is probably about a 12-15% protein feed. Now, the cows started the winter out in about a 6.5 body condition, so I just need to keep up their maintenance.

It's not so much the percentage of protein in the feed, but the amount of total protein you feed. Cattle have different protein requirements for different stages of production. Contact your local ag extension agent and he/she will help you determine the protein requirements for your cattle. You can then determine how much of that requirement they are getting from grass or hay and how much they are lacking. Then just divide the daily protein deficiency by the percentage of protein in the feed to get a total. For example to supplement .5 pounds of protein with a 12% feed you divide .5 by .12 to get roughly 4.17 pounds. You can then feed roughly 4 pounds daily or 12 pounds every 3 days.

Latest posts