What percentage ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
Ok, I have a heifer that is limo/beefmaster. If,I breed her to a beefmaster. What is the percentage of beefmaster in the calf ? Then that calf is also bred to a beefmaster. What is that percentage ?
I guess I'm wanting to know how many generations does it take to have a pure bred.
Thanks
Joy

I THINK...

The calf you have now would be 50% Beefmaster. So when it is bred to a FB Beefmaster you would get 75% Beefmaster 25% Limi. Then that calf being bred to a FB Beefmaster would result in a 87.50% Beefmaster 12.50% Limi calf- I THINK.

Someone feel free to prove me wrong if I am, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it would be.

CPL":13kklh1v said:
I THINK...

The calf you have now would be 50% Beefmaster. So when it is bred to a FB Beefmaster you would get 75% Beefmaster 25% Limi. Then that calf being bred to a FB Beefmaster would result in a 87.50% Beefmaster 12.50% Limi calf- I THINK.

Someone feel free to prove me wrong if I am, but I'm pretty sure that's the way it would be.

That's the way I see it, too.

Thanks,CPL, See when it's down to the 87.50 % beef and the 12.50 % limo is where I get lost.
You are starting at 50%,second breeding is 75 %, so why wouldn't the 3rd breeding be 100 % instead of the 87.50 %.
So in a sense you are saying it would take 4 breeding seasons to make a purebred ??

Joy in Texas":3a2apzj2 said:
Thanks,CPL, See when it's down to the 87.50 % beef and the 12.50 % limo is where I get lost.
You are starting at 50%,second breeding is 75 %, so why wouldn't the 3rd breeding be 100 % instead of the 87.50 %.
So in a sense you are saying it would take 4 breeding seasons to make a purebred ??

Charolais Association says 5.

1/2
3/4
7/8
15/16
31/32

Joy in Texas":34litb1u said:
Ok, I have a heifer that is limo/beefmaster. If,I breed her to a beefmaster. What is the percentage of beefmaster in the calf ? Then that calf is also bred to a beefmaster. What is that percentage ?
I guess I'm wanting to know how many generations does it take to have a pure bred.
Thanks
Joy

Used to be if you were breeding up took 7 generations from the first cross to be pure.

Caustic Burno":1qn9hsdy said:
Joy in Texas":1qn9hsdy said:
Thanks
Joy

Used to be if you were breeding up took 7 generations from the first cross to be pure.

It will never be "Pure", or "Fullblood", but the end result is cattle with more than 98% pure genetics in 5 breedings.

See above.

MikeC":17tjbxh7 said:
Caustic Burno":17tjbxh7 said:
Joy in Texas":17tjbxh7 said:
Thanks
Joy

It will never be "Pure", or "Fullblood", but the end result is cattle with more than 98% pure genetics in 5 breedings.

See above.

Mike you are correct I was thinking wrong if you start a new breed takes 7 generations to breed true.

Joy in Texas":3mppmcwy said:
-

My 4th Grade Arithmetic Teacher would explain it this way: Take 100% and divide it by 2. Take that answer (50%) and divide it by 2. Take THAT answer (87.50) and divide it by 2. Take THAT answer and divide it by 2. Take THAT answer and divide it by 2. take that answer and divide it by 2. take t h ans wer and di vid e it by 2..take each succeeding answer and divide it by 2 on and on and on and on a n d o n to infinity. In REALITY, you NEVER get 100%. In MOST breed associations when you get to the 5th or 6th mating to a PUREBRED bull you are close enough. But with Beefmasters, you have started with a Composite breed to begin with. What are THOSE percentages???

Okay??

DOC HARRIS

In the beefmaster breed if you (for instance) breed your limo cross to a beefmaster, the offspring is considered 2nd cross, when you breed your 2nd cross to a registered beefmaster, you get your 3rd cross, as long as you breed your 3rd cross to a registered beefmaster bull, the offspring can be registered purebred.

You can most likely access this on the internet by going to the BBU web site and looking for the E6 program.

Good luck

Joy in Texas":1hatgmlc said:

As Mike said, it will never be 100% Beefmaster, as there will always be some Limo blood in there, too. Each generation will reduce the remaining Limo blood by 1/2, from 50% to 25% to 12.5%, etc. I believe an animal that is 7/8 or 87.5% Beefmaster is considered a purebred by the BBU. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case you will have your purebred in two more breedings if you're starting with 50% Beefmaster. Many breeds that allow "breeding up" distinguish between purebred and fullblood. Fullblood is 100% while purebred is whatever the breed association decides it is.

1st cross: Beefmaster x Limousin = 1/2 B, 1/2 L
2nd cross:1/2 B 1/2L x 2/2 B = 1/4B +1/4L +2/4B = 3/4 B, 1/4 L
3rd cross: 3/4B, 1/4L x 4/4 B= 3/8B+1/8L+4/8B = 7/8B, 1/8 L
4th cross: 7/8B, 1/8L x 8/8 B= 7/16B, 1/16L, 8/16B = 15/16B, 1/16L
5th cross: 15/16B, 1/16L x 16/16B =15/32B, 1/32L, 16/32B=31/32B, 1/32L

BBU recognizes 7/8 beefmaster as purebred through the breeding up program. so your halfblood heifer's granddaughter could be

Just be aware that to be in the BBU upgrade program requires inspection of the first cross female and the use of an "approved" bull. The E6 program is for 50-100 percent Beefmaster cows marketed as commercial cows. They are two seperate programs and require inspections...ka..ching$$$!

Lots of meat, lots of color...what else could you want!