What once was old, found a new use for...

Help Support CattleToday:

dj":3205ni1h said:
Do cows like to go sledding?

You must have missed it. Someone on here had a cow get out one night and go steal some watermelons. It slipped on a hill and tumbled back down killing three other cows. Well, sort of sledding. :lol:

Old refrigerator for a hot box (welding rods, ect.)
Old coke box for a work bench stand
Old lick buckets for water/feed buckets and pasture markers for ferlilizing and spraying
Little kid swimmimg pools for dog water troughs

One of my favorite things I use is a Valbazon Drencher - I use it to force feed calves instead of tubing. Works way better then any tube setup I've used. They still have to swallow, but it's harder for them to spit it back out.

I know there's more but I can't think of them at the moment.

Washed out milk jugs and cat litter jugs with the front top part cut out for organizing nuts, bolts, staples, nails, etc in the shop. Washing machine tubs with a metal plate bolted on the bottom for mineral/salt feeders, dead refrigerators for storing stuff in the shop, crystalX tubs on pallets + front end loader for moving things, 55-gallon oil drums with the top cut off for garbage cans, 1/2 tub protein tubs for calf feeders, recycled pump house with old carpet tacked on inside for a dog house, there's more but I can't think of them right now.

Old refridgerator used for smoking deer jerky and sausage.
Old tires with somethin coverin the bottom hole for mineral feeders.
35 gallon plastic barrels cut in half length wise used for feeding, watering the dogs.
old disk with the center welded and ground smooth , used for camp cook ware. Makes a mean breakfast burrito cooker, eggs sausage n hashbrowns.
Old cedar fence boards made into a coffee table anyone can put their feet up on no matter whats on their boots.
Old kitchen cabinets, out of hubby's great grandparents house, Repainted and sittin on the floor. used for book shelves. with doors.
Old doors , two screwed together with hinges, placed behind a bed in a corner, used for decoration mostly, but daughter hangs her chaps, spurs, anything else she can think of on there. Looks neat in her cowgirl bedroom.
I"m sure there's a million more that hubby could think of.'
Oh we have an old claw foot tub for a water trough too.

One more. Old flat bed truck bed that had a I beam above, on a pipe frame, took the bed off and cut the I beam out, then used the thing for a feed house, set up on blocks covered with old tin.

Found a great use for old junk that nobody can figure out what it was orignally for. Sell it at auction. I was surprised at what people were willing to pay for odd ball junk at a sale today

dun

Posted this on the Everything else board too-Just found this part of the board- clever!

Our swing set now cow shelter-- cost 50 bucks, had to purchase the roofing and nails.
119_1948.jpg

Another thing we do is save the tub part of old washing machines and use them for our ' sitting by the fire' nights outside they work great and are really pretty too with a fire in them.
I'm sure I'll think of more, since we are major recyclers.

Susie

Finally figured what to do with all that bailer twine that I've been collecting....tied a bunch of it into a big ball and cleaned the stock tanks with it...DMc

we use some waterheater tubs like everyone else but we use the old ground wires off of utility poles or any coated wire like that to make handles with so that its easy for one person to drag them around or easier for two people to handle.

also its either really wet or really dry here, no in between. we have drainage ditches in our pastures that were once firebreaks. but we still have a lot of water to stand around when it rains heavily. to keep roads from washing out we take old irrigation pipes and plant them under the road to help with runoff.

I took a old worn out bushhog, removed the gearbox, stump jumper and tail wheel. I welded an axle under it, welded a tongue on it and fitted it with a seat. I can pull it along my fencerows while my wife uses the sprayer to kill brush. Can also be used as a trailer.

Used wooden crates. You can get them at any place who gets their freight in large quantities. I've got so many I don't know what to do with them anymore. A bunch of 4' X 4' X 3'deep ones we used as hay bunks for weanling colts and calves. Light enough to drag around.

Other ones I tipped on their side and line up along the fence for stacking firewood and stuff in. Then there's those wooden spools from cable, wire, braided steel rope, etc. Ya' know the ones, everyone has stolen one at some point in their life, and then wondered what the heck to do with it?

Here's your answer, for the smaller ones anyway: on their side, they make great picnic tables, especially for the kids. They can't hurt 'em. I also use one for rolling up high tensile wire. Just bolted a handle through one of the holes on the side, and you crank away. I'm still working on a belt driven system for this though. All that cranking just plays the wife right out. ;-)

purecountry":15x1vp5c said:
Other ones I tipped on their side and line up along the fence for stacking firewood and stuff in. Then there's those wooden spools from cable, wire, braided steel rope, etc. Ya' know the ones, everyone has stolen one at some point in their life, and then wondered what the heck to do with it?

Ah, that's way old. Been using one for a dining room table for years. Night bedstands are the smaller ones. :lol:

Saw a stainless steel shopping cart as a BBQ grill.Got plastic drums as feed tubs,also can use to run outboard motor.I better sell my old bath tubs on ebay.Saw an old truck as a deer stand.
Everyone uses milk crates.Got a old shopping cart use a lot around the farm.

Susie David said:
Finally figured what to do with all that bailer twine that I've been collecting....tied a bunch of it into a big ball and cleaned the stock tanks with it...DMc[/quoteThey make good starters in a wood stove

The propane tanks that are no longer filled make excellent air tanks. The 10 gallon ones are best. Fill them and let them blow several times to purge the stinch gas out. Buy the LH thread fitting to 1/4" pipe connector for about $2.35. Add a tee, a guage, and a quick connect stem and you are set. You can put 150 PSI air in them, close those original valves, and it will hold all that air for as long as you want. I now have four of them set up. Leave a couple at the farm to air up any trailer tires that might be low etc.

I use a small refridgerator to store my welding rods in , I hooked up the light so it stays on all the time , it keeps them nice and dry . I also keep spray paint inside.

I use an old washing machine drum for a burn barrel.

Also use an old plow disc welded to an axle to stick seed and feed sacks to like a paper holder to keep them from blowing all over the farm.

Use to have a mini-hibache grill made out of an old freon tank cut in half and hinged. Worked good till it rusted out.

jersey lilly":1byfmkdx said:
old disk with the center welded and ground smooth , used for camp cook ware. Makes a mean breakfast burrito cooker, eggs sausage n hashbrowns.

I've seen this Jersey, it's great! I've seen 2 pounds of bacon, sausage, 2 dozen eggs, and toast all cooking at the same time. :shock: Only one thing to clean up too. :D

Use plastic coffee containers with lids to store nails, nuts, screws. Also to hold string or twine, just punch a hole in the side and pull desired amount of string or twine needed through hole.

Plastic cat food/mineral containers with lid are used to carry horse feed when I travel off for a few days with my horse. Or, to store bird feed or charcoal.

Not a re-use, but pretty useful for more than trash. Heavy duty (construction clean up type bags) trash bag to store left over insulation. I stuff the insulation in a bag, tie bag,
and hang with rope from the rafter in shop with pulley type style. It's out of way and easy for my dad to get it. I also use these types of bag to carry hay in.

Old horse shoes....have many uses
Handles.
Hooks to hang lead ropes, halters, and other objects.
Boot/shoe scraper.
Lamps....etc...

I've hung empty plastic milk jugs and old feed sacks in my horse's stall to get him over his fear of objects touching his head, shadows, and spooky sounds.

My grandfather cooked the best steaks on an old time washing machine that he used as a grill.

He also had an old metal tractor seat that was welded to a Some type of metal post, that was welded to an old tire rim. On nice days, you could find him sitting on it in his wood shop. I think he like sitting in that thing better than his recliner. :lol: I saw one for sale in a mall last Christmas, I think the price or $100 or $150.

An old fence panel in little creek that feeds into a pond catches construction cones and old tires that flows in from who knows where.

Ill try and find a picture of our steer walker.
Looks like a horse hot walker, but its for steers. ;-)
Use it to help the kids keep control of their animals, my kids are young and I don't want the animals to think they can get away from them. Works great! :D
Its made of old oil field pipe and the back end of some car.
We put a motor on it and can walk 4 steers at one time or I put the gear in nutral and put the kids on it one at a time to work their animals. When the twins were younger put their swing seat on it and they had a great time.
We painted it red and it looks and works great!

show steer up":37pmohl7 said:
Ill try and find a picture of our steer walker.
Looks like a horse hot walker, but its for steers. ;-)
Use it to help the kids keep control of their animals, my kids are young and I don't want the animals to think they can get away from them. Works great! :D
Its made of old oil field pipe and the back end of some car.
We put a motor on it and can walk 4 steers at one time or I put the gear in nutral and put the kids on it one at a time to work their animals. When the twins were younger put their swing seat on it and they had a great time.
We painted it red and it looks and works great!

You gotta post a picture of this thing!!! Can't wait to see it sounds like a great idea.