What once was old, found a new use for...

Help Support CattleToday:

mitchwi

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has anything they use now, but was not intended as the original purpose.

Example - Dun's plastic barrel turned salt/mineral feeder

I've got another.... We use a 400 gallon bulk milk tank, the square type as a feed storage container....it holds approx 2000 pounds of ground/mixed feed.

It was worth the price of stainless only, to get rid of. But there was nothing I could of purchased for even half of what they wanted to give me. Saved me money, and is as good if not better than anything I could of purchased!

I use two old freezers to hold my grain. They work great.
I also used baby wipes at the World Beef Expo in the make up arena, to keep my girls clean while waiting to go in the ring. They worked great.
I use white vinegar as a rinse to cut any soap residue when washing my cattle.
We still use a tool that my grandpa made to ring the bulls, it is I think an old screwdriver or maybe some type of awle that he sharpened to a real sharp point, works great. The nose is pierced before they even know it.

Folks around here use non-working chest freezers for grain storage. We use an old refrigerator with a part of the gasket removed for herbicide sotrage. Old water heaters cut lengthwise for feeders, 16" plastic pipe cut in half and used for feed troughs. Worn out disks used for gongs on the shooting range, old wheels for bases for grinders Nope can;t think of a thing that is used for other then it was intended!

dun

old hot water heaters, cut in half length wise except for the last foot or so, add a couple of pieces of rebar or?? to keep animals from "bouncing" the added float valve in the uncut section hook up to water for auto waters in barn or corral where there is not a free choice for water! am trying to figure out how to post a picture! i also use small ones for auto water for dogs, chickens etc! if anyone wants more details p.m. me
i pick them up from folks for nothing, use a little oxy acy, less than $3.00 for the float valve old rebar $.50 and i have an auto waterer for less than $10.00 that last for several yrs!!
taint much goes to waste around here! beloved bride says my shop area looks like a swap meet looking to happen! but i can;t force myself to toss things :D :D

We've got an old bathtub for a water trough. Ditto on shooting at old plow discs and freezers for chemical and feed storage. I'm thinking of cutting 55 gal. plastic drums in half and making two feed bunks out of each. I just need to figure out the best way to make a stand for them.

milesvb":19ivd1hb said:
We've got an old bathtub for a water trough. Ditto on shooting at old plow discs and freezers for chemical and feed storage. I'm thinking of cutting 55 gal. plastic drums in half and making two feed bunks out of each. I just need to figure out the best way to make a stand for them.

Around here they bolt the 2 ends together and make either a wooden or metal stand similar to the type that's used on the polytrough tyype feeders.

dun

top half of a 10,000 bu. grain bin used as a calf shelter. I'll get a picture of it. Pretty cheap, cost like $75 and we're gunna make a tub out of the rest of it.

Those old supplement tubs make good planters for Tomatoes and Peppers, Flowers etc. just drill a few 1/2 in. holes in them for drainage.Put some gravel in the bottom, and they are ready for soil.

The plastic barrels as mineral feeders, an old truck cap used as the roof of a duck shelter. An old bathtub for a small water tub in a holding lot/pen. An old satellite dish, the great big things, used as a shelter for ducks, buried part-way in the ground and hangs just slightly over the pond. Old folding metal closet doors screwed to posts as the walls for a run-in shed.
The list is endless at our place.

Katherine

i saw somebody that was using an old tub for a feed trough the other day. An old iron tub. with claw feet. do you know how much you can sell those things for?

Beefy":xhu6r6pv said:
i saw somebody that was using an old tub for a feed trough the other day. An old iron tub. with claw feet. do you know how much you can sell those things for?
Don't know for sure, but Iwould probaly say $300.00 or more.

i see some pretty nasty looking rusted ones right now online for $1000

dun":3nc2vo7z said:
milesvb":3nc2vo7z said:

Around here they bolt the 2 ends together and make either a wooden or metal stand similar to the type that's used on the polytrough tyype feeders.

dun

Just cut'em, bolt'em, and put'em in the pasture.
I've been legless for about 6 six years and they work just fine.
-------------------------------------------------------------
An old frig with a shot compressor can be rigged with interior light to stay on. Keeps your welding rods dry and handy storage for helmets, gloves, etc

Beefy":ceisk81j said:
i see some pretty nasty looking rusted ones right now online for $1000

Dang, I have three of them sitting out in the fields now. I guess I just treat my stock well. :lol:

la4angus":62wk169n said:
Beefy":62wk169n said:

Quote from Beefy
i see some pretty nasty looking rusted ones right now online for $1000.00
If beefy is right I'm way off on my guesstimate. I could go broker in the antique business, hu

I have an old, metal chest freezer that I'd give to anyone who wants to come get it.

I wanted to use it for chemical storage, but I bought a "job box" from an auction that works better for me.

The freezer needs a new seal, but other than that I imagine it will work great for anyone who wants it.

la4angus":2hd2dgdi said:
la4angus":2hd2dgdi said:
Beefy":2hd2dgdi said:

Quote from Beefy
i see some pretty nasty looking rusted ones right now online for $1000.00
If beefy is right I'm way off on my guesstimate. I could go broker in the antique business, hu

lol.

We use two of the claw footed tubs in the barn. Each one waters two pens. Use chest freezers for minerals. Use upright freezers for all our cattle supplies (meds - AI supplies - etc) just added a small light bulb for in the winter time to keep things from freezing.
Plastic barrels for mineral feeders.
Old milk cooler - removed door & inners, sank 1 foot down in ground & use as a waterer for Macho (he CANNOT more it!)
Use hot water heaters cut in half for feed pans outside.
Use baling twine to "fence off" equipment that might be parked in lots - cattle "think" it's HOT. :D
Hmmm - must be more - we believe in doing things CHEAP!!

Latest posts