What not to say at work...

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/0 ... /23192143/

A veteran Georgia police officer is on leave after unearthed video shows him telling a woman she wouldn't be shot because she wasn't black.

"Remember, we only kill black people," Cobb County police Lt. Gregg Abbott said on dashcam video obtained by WSB-TV. "We only kill black people, right?"

The incident occurred sometime last year, but was only recently obtained by the network — prompting Cobb County police to open an investigation.

Abbott pulled the sedan over for a DUI stop, and told a woman in the passenger seat to use the cellphone in her lap.

The woman tells the 28-year police veteran she's afraid to move her hands.

"I've just seen way too many videos of cops," the woman says before Abbott cuts her off.

"But you're not black," he says. "Remember, we only shoot black people."

"All the videos you've seen, have you seen black people getting killed?" he asks the frightened woman, to which she says, "Right."

Abbott was put on administrative leave until the investigation is over.

"No matter what the context it was said, it shouldn't have been said," Cobb County Police Chief Mike Register told WSB-TV.

Up until this point Abbott was a quality officer, Register told the channel, adding the incident happened before he became police chief.

"We're not making excuses," he said. "We're meeting this head-on and we're going to deal with it."

Suri Chadha Jimenez, the woman's lawyer in the DUI case, said Abbott was likely being sarcastic because the woman "gave him some lip."

But that still doesn't take away from the horror.

"It makes you cringe when you hear it," Jimenez told WSB-TV. "It's unacceptable."

Abbott's attorney said the statements were taken out of context and the veteran lawman was trying to control the situation.

I agree, it should have never been said, but everything about this tells me it was either being said sarcastically or jokingly.

Every concealed carry class and every non-uniformed armed agent I have worked with - all of them tell me not to reach for anything! Keep your hands in view until the uniformed officer disarms you. Regardless of gender, color or race.

I guess it is getting to the point with the number of reported police shootings that a person will be afraid to reach for their license even when unarmed. Crazy world.

slick4591":if725n7k said:
I agree, it should have never been said, but everything about this tells me it was either being said sarcastically or jokingly.
Yup, that's how I see it too. But I wasn;t the one sitting there peeing myslef because I was afraid of the cop

slick4591":35y87zpl said:

Dennis,

A Police officer stands at the window of your car and states, "We only shoot blacks" in whatever context he wants to assert that he meant it, will not pass for professional behavior. All the person sitting in the seat can base their reaction on are those spoken words. " We only shoot blacks". NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I agree that he used poor judgment, but don't think it should cost him his job.

Edit: I was going to add that I suspected he said it in a light-hearted manner in an attempt to make the lady feel more at ease, but decided to watch the video. Sounded sarcastic to me, but I still don't think it should cost him his job.

Rafter S":208vxi3u said:

Is it limited to poor judgement? His personnel file would need to be examined. But it could be a more serious problem that would with a past performance review, be grounds for dismissal.

Bright Raven":1tge3ln2 said:
Rafter S":1tge3ln2 said:

Is it limited to poor judgement? His personnel file would need to be examined. But it could be a more serious problem that would with a past performance review, be grounds for dismissal.

Okay, I'll rephrase that. "I agree that he used poor judgment, but don't think this alone should cost him his job." Better?

Rafter S":2gltwyd8 said:

Edit: I was going to add that I suspected he said it in a light-hearted manner in an attempt to make the lady feel more at ease, but decided to watch the video. Sounded sarcastic to me, but I still don't think it should cost him his job.

Sounds sarcastic. I doubt it made the lady at ease.

Edit: he better have a good professional occupational liability insurance plan.

dun":hw5jjiut said:
slick4591":hw5jjiut said:
Yup, that's how I see it too. But I wasn;t the one sitting there peeing myslef because I was afraid of the cop

I agree... However, He will pay for this with a lawsuit and his career im sure.

Bright Raven":1xkdwtuw said:
slick4591":1xkdwtuw said:

Dennis,

A Police officer stands at the window of your car and states, "We only shoot blacks" in whatever context he wants to assert that he meant it, will not pass for professional behavior. All the person sitting in the seat can base their reaction on are those spoken words. " We only shoot blacks". NOT ACCEPTABLE!

So tell me where I said it was acceptable, Ron.

He'll end up taking early retirement and is going to draw a good pension, which he should. We need more cops with a sense of humor. Now if it would of been a black person that would of been bad. The cops that have their hand on their gun - belt are the one's who scare me.

slick4591":34p7wo0v said:
Bright Raven":34p7wo0v said:
slick4591":34p7wo0v said:

Dennis,

So tell me where I said it was acceptable, Ron.

You DID NOT. Sorry if it came across like that. I am only saying, that it is unacceptable. Communication via trading snapshots causes some challenges.

BTW: I also got his words wrong, he was saying "We only kill blacks". Not shoot.

Appears he was frustrated with her caution about reaching for her license. IMO, she was being prudent.

About 7-8 years ago I got pulled over for a stupid minor traffic deal which didn't even result in a ticket. This woman cop after checking my driver's license came back saying I see you had a concealed weapon permit back in the 80's, "are you carrying now?" They say dogs can smell fear. Well this cop was scared. I kept both hands on the wheel and eyes forward. I hadn't said or done anything to cause fear. Just the fact that at one time I had a CWP. I really felt like one wrong move and I would be in a one sided gun fight. I felt like calling the police station the next day and talking to some sort of supervisor about it decided that I didn't want my name involved.

slick4591":n5t9qvm2 said:
Yeah, read like you were slapping my nose for something. You can kiss TT and we can make up.

No. Dennis. We are good so please don't unfriend me on Facebook.

Comments like that are totally uncalled for especially in that line of work. Joke and cut up "off duty" if you must.

Rafter S":2mnjuxu2 said:
Bright Raven":2mnjuxu2 said:
Rafter S":2mnjuxu2 said:

Okay, I'll rephrase that. "I agree that he used poor judgment, but don't think this alone should cost him his job." Better?

Doesn't matter the context or sarcasm, this is a sentence that you do not utter as a police officer, state trooper, sheriff, peace officer. I understand he was trying to defuse the situation, but what a horrible way to do it. It doesn't matter if this is his first offense, it should be his last.

Dave":38ksu2ry said:
About 7-8 years ago I got pulled over for a stupid minor traffic deal which didn't even result in a ticket. This woman cop after checking my driver's license came back saying I see you had a concealed weapon permit back in the 80's, "are you carrying now?" They say dogs can smell fear. Well this cop was scared. I kept both hands on the wheel and eyes forward. I hadn't said or done anything to cause fear. Just the fact that at one time I had a CWP. I really felt like one wrong move and I would be in a one sided gun fight. I felt like calling the police station the next day and talking to some sort of supervisor about it decided that I didn't want my name involved.

My uncle had a similar situation happen. Rural town pulled over for speeding. He immediately tells the officer he's carrying and asks his he wants to proceed. The office draws on him and just keeps saying do not move sir!!!!!

Latest posts