What minerals to feed

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
I dont yse minerals. What should I use and why. What purpose do they serve.. I have 8 heifers and 3 pregnant.

I'm not sure about the best mineral for your area, but it would be good to start with an all purpose loose cattle mineral. It's best to get a cattle mineral, and not one for multi species. Here in the spring and early summer when grass is the most lush, we put out high mag minerals, then transition to an all purpose pasture mineral or fly mineral . Minerals can help with reproductive efficiency, fetal development, growth, and overall health like a human might take a vitamin to help with what we might not be getting enough of in our food. It might be good to check with a local coop or ag extension agent in your area to see what might work best for you.

A.J.":16mu5pxi said:
I'm not sure about the best mineral for your area, but it would be good to start with an all purpose loose cattle mineral. It's best to get a cattle mineral, and not one for multi species. Here in the spring and early summer when grass is the most lush, we put out high mag minerals, then transition to an all purpose pasture mineral or fly mineral . Minerals can help with reproductive efficiency, fetal development, growth, and overall health like a human might take a vitamin to help with what we might not be getting enough of in our food. It might be good to check with a local coop or ag extension agent in your area to see what might work best for you.

That's pretty good info above.
My grandfather never feed mineral of any kind. But times have changed, we've learned I guess.
Although I believe one big difference is cattle used to for the most part . Grazed over large native pastures, on a variety of plants.
As ranching became more grass farming, cattle are on smaller pasture. With a less varied diet. Often just one type of improved grass. Mineral can be big deal then.
My uneducated opinion. A j gave good advice on high mag. So I won't go there

I use Southern States general loose cattle mineral.. The cattle if deprived sop it up pretty good for a while till they get what they need then they chill out once they have everything they need in them is what I have seen.

BK i seldom like anything Purina makes but have had good luck using the Purina Wind and Rain All Season 7 CP-AV4.....it may cost a bit more than some minerals but I've had very good luck with it. I've been using it a couple of years now. You should have a Purina store not too far away. If they don't have it ask them to keep a few bags in stock for you. It don't get old.

We use Animax 6000, a loose mineral from the Coop that includes CTC (chlortetracycline). Haven't lost or sold a cow (to the Sale Barn) with anaplasmosis since we started using it 5 years ago - and the ticks & flies have been really bad the past few years.

Mineral nutrition is LOCAL. You need a mix that's been developed for use in your area, based upon what minerals are present or deficient in your soils.
What I need here in southern west-central KY would likely not be appropriate for you in TX. And, TX is so big, that what's ideal for you, may not be appropriate for folks in other areas of that state.

It will never be a perfect match but normally just about any mineral is better than none at all. The larger companies who are very good at making quality minerals seldom want to bother with "area specific" minerals so it's left to the small companies to try it....and they seldom have the staff and experience to actually know what the cattle need in their area and you're at their mercy as to whether they are truly putting together what cattle need in the area. Have seen it often throughout Texas anyway.

I would look to one of the better respected cattleman in your area and gain advice there. A lot of my grandpas ways can be improved on. And expect a lot can say the same.

Latest posts