What? Marbling Doesn't Influence Flavor?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
A review of genetic and non-genetic opportunities for manipulation of marbling

B. M. Bindon

Abstract

The biology of marbling is a considerable issue for the Australian beef industry. Measurement of the trait is still a concern: subjective assessment based on the degree of visual fat deposition and its distribution is the 'industry standard' and the basis for payment of marbling grades. Yet this measurement may be subject to operator error and is influenced by chiller temperature. Chemical extraction gives an unequivocal measure of all fat in the muscle (intramuscular fat percentage: IMF%) and has higher heritability and genetic variation than marble score; but does this mirror exactly what the trade regards as 'marbling'?

Progeny test results from the Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) for Cattle and Beef Quality breeding projects provide improved understanding of breed and genetic effects on IMF% and marble score. Estimated breeding values (EBVs) for IMF% have been released to the industry for 7 breeds. Heritability estimates confirm that genetic progress will be faster when selection is based on IMF% rather than marble score. Genetic correlations of IMF% with growth, retail beef yield (RBY%), P8 fat, residual feed intake (RFI) and tenderness are now available to underpin selection indices. A favourable allele for marbling (TG5) on chromosome 14 has been identified by CSIRO/MLA as a direct gene marker for the trait. This is now being marketed as GeneSTAR marbling. Other favourable chromosomal regions are under investigation by the CRC.

Nutritional manipulation of marbling remains problematic. It is accepted that high-energy grain diets achieve higher marbling than pasture diets. Within grain-based feedlot diets higher marbling is achieved with maize than barley, while barley diets in turn are better than sorghum. Steam flaking produces higher marbling than dry rolled grain and this effect is more marked with sorghum than maize. Beyond these establishments there are many uncertainties: experiments have examined the effects of diets with high protein; low protein; protected lipid; protected protein; added oil with and without calcium; vitamin A deficiency. None of these manipulations gave consistent improvement in marble score or IMF%. Commercial feedlots supplying Japanese B3/B4 markets may have successful dietary manipulations to enhance marbling but because of its proprietary nature the information is not normally available for scientific scrutiny.

Japan is the only market for Australian beef where marbling is an important component of the market specification. There can be no doubt that marbling meets a special consumer preference in that niche market. In other markets scientific evidence for a link between marbling and beef tenderness or eating quality has been difficult to define (marbling is a key component of the USA grading scheme for primal cuts but Australia is not a big supplier to that market). In the domestic Meat Standards Australia market there is a trend for marbling to become more important as a consumer issue in 5-star products where higher order sensory attributes of beef come into play. Early meat science investigations concluded that beef flavour elements were water-soluble. This would exclude marbling fat as having a notable influence on flavour.
Marbling remains the major determinant of carcass value in Australia's most valuable beef market. Research should continue to assist Australian producers to meet the specifications of that market with increased precision and reduced costs.

Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 44(7) 687 - 696

Full text doi:10.1071/EA02173

© CSIRO 2004

Subscriber Login
Username:
Password:

View
Issue Contents

PDF (81 KB) $25

Export Citation

Tools

Print

Bookmark

Email this page

The biggest complaint I hear from folks on store-bought meat is not that it is not marbled, or whether it's too tough, it's that it has no flavor. Most of these folks were either raised on a farm or worked on a farm when they were younger, and got meat off of it. When you question them about the difference in today's meat, the only answer that seems to come up regularly is that there's no fat on the meat you buy today (back fat). Everything you bought 30/35 years ago came with a good old layer of back fat. Of course, nowadays, this is a bad thing, so they say.

MikeC said:
........... Early meat science investigations concluded that beef flavour elements were water-soluble. This would exclude marbling fat as having a notable influence on flavour.

Got news for ya. My girlfriend is a chef, and has worked at 4 and 5 star restaurants and hotels here in Texas. All she talks about is "marbling...marbling.....marbling". I suggest that whomever made this determination never be anywhere near her, or for that matter her fellow chefs, least that person will learn what it feels like to be struck in the head by a iron skillet.

By the way folks, the tempers of chefs' you see on TV, don't no way come close to the real thing. When she's in the kitchen, I make sure I'm in the lower 40 'til she calls me to the table..........and then I double time. :nod:

Wewild":2pmpehhn said:
I think alot has to do with aging.

You are correct. But without adequate marbling, aging would do nothing but make tougher, dry meat. Try beef jerky. It's the marbling that produces the 'lube and flavor facter" so to speak. Dry is dry........... but juicy is mmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. :nod:

Darhawk":3gjxgq7u said:
MikeC":3gjxgq7u said:
........... Early meat science investigations concluded that beef flavour elements were water-soluble. This would exclude marbling fat as having a notable influence on flavour.

Got news for ya. My girlfriend is a chef, and has worked at 4 and 5 star restaurants and hotels here in Texas. All she talks about is "marbling...marbling.....marbling". I suggest that whomever made this determination never be anywhere near her, or for that matter her fellow chefs, least that person will learn what it feels like to be struck in the head by a iron skillet.

By the way folks, the tempers of chefs' you see on TV, don't no way come close to the real thing. When she's in the kitchen, I make sure I'm in the lower 40 'til she calls me to the table..........and then I double time. :nod:
Darhawk-

I have had a modicum of experience with chef's - but I don't disagree with you! ;-) But the large Hotel Restaurant Service staff, who serve and manage and clear tables of large banquets - - hoo, hoo, hoo baby! :shock: :roll: Don't get between them and the door when they are doing their thing! :mad: Don't "stack" your tables' plates to help them, or you are liable to lose a hand or other valuable and necessary piece of your anatomy! :help: And - you will probably need a foreign language dictionary to assist you in determining what the heck they are saying to you! They are a - ah - different bunch of people, and marbling and taste have nothing to do with it!

DOC HARRIS

Darhawk":fmdigv4e said:
MikeC":fmdigv4e said:

I think the key word here may be "Early....investigations" as is noted in the above post concerning the chef, this particular investigation hasn't trumped experience evidently.

rocket2222":ow26lmdu said:
The biggest complaint I hear from folks on store-bought meat is not that it is not marbled, or whether it's too tough, it's that it has no flavor. Most of these folks were either raised on a farm or worked on a farm when they were younger, and got meat off of it. When you question them about the difference in today's meat, the only answer that seems to come up regularly is that there's no fat on the meat you buy today (back fat). Everything you bought 30/35 years ago came with a good old layer of back fat. Of course, nowadays, this is a bad thing, so they say.

I don't disagree with any of that. Austrolorps or rocks that were raised in a yard have more flavor than the big sack of Tyson chicken you get at the SAM's Club. The old pigs had more flavor and the half an inch of backfat in the meat case as did the old NY strips; but realistically today's consumer is NOT going to purchase beef (or pork) with THAT much trim and the number of consumers who were raised on a farm is declining precipitously and is really to the point of being inconsequential. They inject or marinate the flavor into the meat now then serve it smothered in some sauce, they really don't expect the meat to stand alone with a little salt any more.

Brandonm22":p8ja0z4b said:
rocket2222":p8ja0z4b said:

I don't disagree with any of that. Austrolorps or rocks that were raised in a yard have more flavor than the big sack of Tyson chicken you get at the SAM's Club. The old pigs had more flavor and the half an inch of backfat in the meat case as did the old NY strips; but realistically today's consumer is NOT going to purchase beef (or pork) with THAT much trim and the number of consumers who were raised on a farm is declining precipitously and is really to the point of being inconsequential. They inject or marinate the flavor into the meat now then serve it smothered in some sauce, they really don't expect the meat to stand alone with a little salt any more.

If you had two of the same cuts of meat on the counter for the same price, let say $8.00 a pound, one of them has a label that say's " this piece of meat may be healthier for you than the meat next to it, but it has no flavor or taste." and the other piece of meat say's " taste great". Which one do you think you would you sell the most of. :?: In just this past week alone, I've had three different people ask me if I would sell them beef off the farm. Allthough taste was not their primery concern [knowing the meat was safe to eat and drug free was No. 1], better tasting was the second reason I got when asking why they would want locally raised beef. Weird thing was for 2 of the 3 cost was not a issue.

Brandonm22":1x57ay6s said:
rocket2222":1x57ay6s said:

That's not the chickens.....it's the feed.