what makes angus the best????

Help Support CattleToday:

Quality grade carcass(marbling), maternal, moderate mature size, exteremely diverse genetic availability, excellent accurate data (EPDs), temperment, other then that not much. Charolais have high yield grade vs quality grade (more red meat, marginally adequate maternal, large mature size. It depends on what fits your market and managment.

dun

> What makes Angus one of the best
> breeds known today?What separates
> Angus from Charlais?

> Quality grade carcass(marbling),
> maternal, moderate mature size,
> exteremely diverse genetic
> availability, excellent accurate
> data (EPDs), temperment, other
> then that not much. Charolais have
> high yield grade vs quality grade
> (more red meat, marginally
> adequate maternal, large mature
> size. It depends on what fits your
> market and managment.

> dun

I probably agree with dun more than any other regular contributor to this page, but two points I disagree with are "moderate mature size" and "temperment."

Go to a bull test station or stock show and you will see that a high percentage of the Angus cattle are large framed and many are taller than the Continental breeds (Charolais, Simmental, etc.), which had the reputation 25 years ago of being big framed.

I also question that Angus in general have a good temperment. We have fed out 1000's of cattle over the years, and in my experience Angus are more high headed, flighty, etc. than Herefords, Shorthorns, Gelbvieh, and Simmental. Now, I also admit that there are many Angus cattle with good dispositions but I think it is a stretch to make the statement that Angus are known as a breed with good dispositions.

Regarding the original question that Angus are the best breed, I don't think there is such a thing. I haven't found one breed that can do it all. Angus do a lot of things right as dun pointed out and consequently we do have some Angus blood in our herd, but no one has proven to me that they are the "best" breed.

Guess I'll do my 2 cents worth "tongue-in-cheek" comment...lol. For one thing, all breeds aside, the Angus Association and its member breeders and other aficionados have spent megabucks advertising and promoting Angus as "the best." Guess marketing speaks for itself. On another sidebar, there is NO BEST BREED! Every producer has their favorite breed that is appropriate for their program, geographic area, and market area. What might work in one place might not in another place. There are many breeds of cattle, each has its place. Same is true of horses, sheep, pigs, goats, and chickens. Are a number of different cattle breeds that produce very good meat and have good temperaments, etc. The market mentality seems to be fixated on solid black or solid red cattle...especially at sale barn. Texas Longhorns are "best" for us; Dexters are "best" for my brother; Angus, Baldys, and some others are "best" for my neighbors...so...bottomline... "Which breed is best?" Duh...ya got me on that one! (Smiles)

> I probably agree with dun more
> than any other regular contributor
> to this page, but two points I
> disagree with are "moderate
> mature size" and
> "temperment."

> Go to a bull test station or stock
> show and you will see that a high
> percentage of the Angus cattle are
> large framed and many are taller
> than the Continental breeds
> (Charolais, Simmental, etc.),
> which had the reputation 25 years
> ago of being big framed.

> I also question that Angus in
> general have a good temperment. We
> have fed out 1000's of cattle over
> the years, and in my experience
> Angus are more high headed,
> flighty, etc. than Herefords,
> Shorthorns, Gelbvieh, and
> Simmental. Now, I also admit that
> there are many Angus cattle with
> good dispositions but I think it
> is a stretch to make the statement
> that Angus are known as a breed
> with good dispositions.

> Regarding the original question
> that Angus are the best breed, I
> don't think there is such a thing.
> I haven't found one breed that can
> do it all. Angus do a lot of
> things right as dun pointed out
> and consequently we do have some
> Angus blood in our herd, but no
> one has proven to me that they are
> the "best" breed. i agree with what dun and I. gary both said but i will add one other thing, you will have more calving problems from the charlois than the angus and if you sell your calves the angus will bring more per pound. the charlois should weigh more at weaning. the packers will pay more for the angus because they will grade out much quicker so the feedlots don't have to hold on to them as long

[email protected]

And, of course, Angus are polled. That's an important economic trait. Anyone who has to dehorn knows what an upleasant, stressful, job it is.

> Quality grade carcass(marbling),
> maternal, moderate mature size,
> exteremely diverse genetic
> availability, excellent accurate
> data (EPDs), temperment, other
> then that not much. Charolais have
> high yield grade vs quality grade
> (more red meat, marginally
> adequate maternal, large mature
> size. It depends on what fits your
> market and managment.

> dun

>Nothing makes Angus the best. There are no one breed of cattle that are the best. If you dont believe me just compare some weaning weights of some of the angus cattle to some of the breeds such as Limousin and Charlois, they will beat angus almost every time, . Angus are not the best, they are good but no one breed is the best in every catagory. my opinion.

What makes Angus one of the best
> breeds known today?What separates
> Angus from Charlais?

[email protected]

No breed is better than any other breed of cows. No Angus are not the best, in my opinion they aren't a pure breed at all. It would've taken years of tall-line-breeding to get them as tall as they are today but boom all of a sudden they got tall. Also one more thing, where did that white spot around the udder of Angus come from? As you know from pictures of the Aberdeen Angus, none of them had any white whatsoever. If you ask me, they were bred to chianina for the tallness then bred back to get the black appearance they had before. So as for Angus breeders, Liars never win :)

[email protected]

I think angus has had white,red and other colors in the distance past...Thus they can have a bit show up, as on the uther, but no were else...as to the height, when you have a gene pool that is at least ten times larger than any other breed you get lots of difference..Black Angus, like it or not has influnce the beef cow market more than anything else...........

[email protected]

True, True, True... Angus might not be the "best" breed but I don't believe there is Angus are the most influencial breed of today. The first angus in Britain were registered both black and red accepting white on the udder and under-belly. I'll agree that some breeders have put amerifax in their Angus cattle and gotten away with it that is why some of the cattle have some of the strange marking they have. This is just my opinion but most of it is factual. ( sorry if there is any spelling errors)

[email protected]

Latest posts