What king of solar charger?

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Read bad reviews of the Zareba solar charger at tractor supply. Ant recomendations. Been looking at Parmak. Any good?

Mag-12-sp 12v
Two year warranty against defect but now covers lightning

jedstivers":2ia6a48v said:
If your doing much fence you won't get a solar big enough.
Instead get a solar charger to charge your battery for your regular charger.

X2
Speedrite, stafix, patriot and etc make combo 12v and 120v
If you need more than 1 joule

jedstivers":1euo421k said:

Local lace has a Gallagher like that, are they any good?

I may have a need for a battery one for a few months.

tom4018":15r2xy4f said:
jedstivers":15r2xy4f said:

Local lace has a Gallagher like that, are they any good?

I may have a need for a battery one for a few months.
My gallagher solar panel is 15 or so years old. Unless we get more then a full week with heavy clouds it charges the battery well enough to run a half mile of fence.

jedstivers":1wpk1dxb said:
Do you mean like a regular separate solar charger for a 12v deep cycle marine battery to run the fence charger? I have one I used to run my hog hunting night lights on my deer feeders dont use anymore. The area I am running fence to is 1/4 mile from the nearest AC plug in. Its going to be easier to go solar. This will be about a total of 1/4 to 1/2 mile of wire. Have not measured it yet Going this morning to mow and clear brush to lay frames and post.

This is just one example of many choices
It's 4.5 joules vs less than 1 joule on a solar
Just need a battery and solar panel
The self contained units line the Parmak are cheaper and more simple if you don't need a real hot fence

http://www.patriotchargers.com/p30.htm

BK9954":1tux02ge said:
Read bad reviews of the Zareba solar charger at tractor supply. Ant recomendations. Been looking at Parmak. Any good?

Run four of them one is
over twenty years old all I have ever done is replace the battery every four to five years.

I have two 3 joule stafix for a year with marine battery and 40 watt panels. So far so good.

BK9954":3gylfatc said:
jedstivers":3gylfatc said:
Do you mean like a regular separate solar charger for a 12v deep cycle marine battery to run the fence charger? I have one I used to run my hog hunting night lights on my deer feeders dont use anymore. The area I am running fence to is 1/4 mile from the nearest AC plug in. Its going to be easier to go solar. This will be about a total of 1/4 to 1/2 mile of wire. Have not measured it yet Going this morning to mow and clear brush to lay frames and post.
That's what I'm talking about. On that short of a fence you might be ok with a solar fence charger but they have so few joules that is a problem sometimes. I like heat and sparks.

I use a Gallagher s17 for interior fencing when rotating on a leased farm where there is no power. I get 6000 volts out of it with a 3 foot ground when powering a 1300 foot section of rope.

Parmark is probably one of the most reliable fencers.

Do not buy the 6 volt solar one, 2 wimpy.
they do have a 12 volt solar one out now, don't know anything about that.

Hard to find there ratings in joules, they list them in miles, but they have one that is 3 joules.
For a 3 joule fencer, buy a 10 watt solar panel and a cheap irrigation battery or put a fresh one in your car. with a solar panel, you don't need a deep cycle battery, it is usually fully charged by noon every day. very seldom is it deep discharged.
With a 10 watt panel, and a full sized battery, you do not need a charge control either. don't need a diode in series with the panel either.

If you need more than 3 joules, you will have to go to a different brand. I have some stayfix ,6 joules, but have had some die on me

Have heard good about Tayor fencers, but never saw one. Pictures look like they are made well.

Latest posts