What kind was it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Found this thing in a barn. Looks like something or somebody got to it before I did and made it a good one. The part that's there is probably a couple feet, and pretty good size around, though that might be partly due to being swelled up dead a while. 38AEDF1C-5E38-4868-BEDF-9C27B6EEDF9D.jpeg

One of the guys here at work loves to catch what we call I grew up calling chicken snakes. I think rat snake is the correct name for them. In any case, I've been known to bring them home and turn them loose in my barn to control mice getting into my feed.

1657113581658.jpeg
Had to get one out of my 11 year old granddaughters front yard, the other morning..let it go in the pasture ..I'm sure it went right back…been bit a few times by them but it's just a grab you have to pry off..

Last edited:
I know a lot people like them, but I don't. They will eat eggs, and occasionally a big one will kill a chicken, but they are too dumb to realize they can't swallow a chicken with much size.

I too grew up calling them chicken snakes, I suppose because they were often found in the coop with a couple of eggs plainly bulging from inside them.

Back when I had a pair of geese, I noticed one day both were at the far end of their run making all kinds of racket but wouldn't go near their clutch of eggs. Looked inside and there were 2 big black snakes happily swallowing 1/2 incubated goose eggs.
Not venomous but will make you hurt yourself if they surprise you.
Several years ago, I shut the back door after stepping out onto the small back porch landing late one night (it was 5'X5' surrounded by a guard rail on the 2 sides and up 7 steps). Barefooted. I didn't bother turning on the porch light because I wanted to see if a meteor shower had started. When I laid my hand down on the rail, something moved under my hand.
Jerked my hand back, and I felt something heavy and alive fall down onto the top of my foot. I was flat out dancin then!!
There's a little ledge (exterior threshold) at the bottom of the door, and I was perched up on it as I tried to get the door handle turned while standing with my back to the door. Got the door open just in time to see one of those squirmy black snakes slither off the side of the deck.
(I had been bit on the foot by a copperhead back in 2012 so had my fill of venomous and all other serpents)
After I got the damn door open and the light on, I realized he was probably trying to get up the 4x4 posts to the underside of the porch ceiling where there were 2 active mud swallow nests.
Scared the crap out of me tho.

I too grew up calling them chicken snakes, I suppose because they were often found in the coop with a couple of eggs plainly bulging from inside them.

Back when I had a pair of geese, I noticed one day both were at the far end of their run making all kinds of racket but wouldn't go near their clutch of eggs. Looked inside and there were 2 big black snakes happily swallowing 1/2 incubated goose eggs.
Not venomous but will make you hurt yourself if they surprise you.
Several years ago, I shut the back door after stepping out onto the small back porch landing late one night (it was 5'X5' surrounded by a guard rail on the 2 sides and up 7 steps). Barefooted. I didn't bother turning on the porch light because I wanted to see if a meteor shower had started. When I laid my hand down on the rail, something moved under my hand.
Jerked my hand back, and I felt something heavy and alive fall down onto the top of my foot. I was flat out dancin then!!
There's a little ledge (exterior threshold) at the bottom of the door, and I was perched up on it as I tried to get the door handle turned while standing with my back to the door. Got the door open just in time to see one of those squirmy black snakes slither off the side of the deck.
(I had been bit on the foot by a copperhead back in 2012 so had my fill of venomous and all other serpents)
After I got the damn door open and the light on, I realized he was probably trying to get up the 4x4 posts to the underside of the porch ceiling where there were 2 active mud swallow nests.
Scared the crap out of me tho.

Have you ever gone to gather eggs late in the evening, and reached into a nest to check for eggs and grabbed a chicken snake instead? It's amazing how you can take one step backward and be 8' away.

I let the beneficial ones live, but not the poisonous ones. Killed the biggest coral snake I ever seen a few months ago.
I can count on one hand how many of those I've seen here..very rarely ..

My sister in law got bit by one on her foot, while walking through her yard. It was extremely painful to deal with. Apparently they don't keep much anti venom around. They put her in the hospital but did not give the antivenom.

I let the beneficial ones live, but not the poisonous ones. Killed the biggest coral snake I ever seen a few months ago.
I let even the poisonous ones live - unless they get too close to the house. This one (copperhead) was in the garage. Nope!

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_094715338.jpg
    IMG_20210917_094715338.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Working on our churches playground last Saturday. A pair of mocking birds were having a fit . My wife walked over to see what the fuss was about . 5-6 foot rat snake was trying to climb the tree to get to their nest of babies. We're in an area that has had some snake handling churches but we are true Southern Baptist. I told the guys if someone would catch it I would put it in my hay barn . Wished I had videoed 4 grown men trying to catch a rat snake from under the shrubs at church. No one got bit ; a couple of close calls ; but finally he was put in a feed sack and my wife carried him to the hay barn . After a short break we went back to work on the playground . And no , I don't do snakes ! 😳

Latest posts