What kind of weed is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

andicetx

Reaction score
What kind of weed is this? What is the best way to get rid of it?

weeds_002.jpg

weeds_004.jpg

It's hard to tell by the picts, but it looks like teasle. If the head at the top gets like a big cocklebur then thas's what it is. My Longhorns just love the flower when they get to the flowering stage.

Bobg

Looks like some type of thistle but it is not teasel. Teasel has big broad leaves that form a water basin where they join the stalk.

IF indeed it is thistle, we try to treat with Grazon P+D before it flowers, but if it does flower, we remove the flower then treat with the Grazon - place flower in plastic bag and eventually burn. Then, next season search for early signs of growth and treat with Grazon. It will take years to erraticate, but you can if persistent.

Billy

Do a search for Eryngo or Leavenworth's Eryngo. I think that is what it is. But Thistle is close enough. Long term-improve soil health, control grazing. Hard to do in this drought. There are going to be some heavy weed problems in the next few years. Walk your pastures and look around. Next springs weeds are already growing

Thistle....kill the plant before it seeds. Just chopping will only delay the production and the plant will regrow.
Our cows, mainly the Herfs love the young plants and graze them right along with the grass. We have the Canadian Thistle up here and cut a patch for a neighbor this spring that was taller than me standing on the o'l ollie.
Just my two bits worth.
DMc

Latest posts