What kind of tree is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone know the name of this one? Used to be lots of them here but now they are rarely seen but they are magnificent when in bloom.

IMG_4410.jpg

Kinda looks like a china berry, there was a lot of them when i was a kid.

Aside from the leaves and the fruit and the bark~~yeah,Chinaberry (NOT)
Might it be a Chestnut tree? I never saw one,but it might be...

Is the fruit eaten by humans? cattle?
Type of Pawpaw? With nothing for scale it's hard to tell size..
Clues!! I need clues!

The tree will ultimately get 40 feet tall. Blooms are a beautiful white with blood red varigation. Ultimate size of the fruit is roughly the size of a baseball and some children have been known to use the fruit as baseballs. Every part of the tree is poisonous yet it is extremely useful. Could possibly offer one solution to the fuel problem. Historically it already has done so in China. The US used to have thousands of acres plantations planted in this species.

Jogeephus":2o21t299 said:
The tree will ultimately get 40 feet tall. Blooms are a beautiful white with blood red varigation. Ultimate size of the fruit is roughly the size of a baseball and some children have been known to use the fruit as baseballs. Every part of the tree is poisonous yet it is extremely useful. Could possibly offer one solution to the fuel problem. Historically it already has done so in China. The US used to have thousands of acres plantations planted in this species.
Joe, does the tree have long sharp thorns.

sounds like an osage orange except I do not know about the flowers.

I know where there is one but have never observed it in bloom.
find it when it sheds the fruit in the fall. they fall into the road and are hard to miss.

but the oasge is not poisonsous.

harveated and orange and was going to plant the seed a few years ago but wife threw out the seed in a cleaning frenzy.....

cross thread polination......

pdfangus":1gaoq88h said:
sounds like an osage orange except I do not know about the flowers.

I know where there is one but have never observed it in bloom.
find it when it sheds the fruit in the fall. they fall into the road and are hard to miss.

but the oasge is not poisonsous.

harveated and orange and was going to plant the seed a few years ago but wife threw out the seed in a cleaning frenzy.....

cross thread polination......
Sort of does doesn;t it. In another month you can tell for sure

Look's like a tung oil tree. Years ago they grew lots of them in south Ms for paint ingredients also in some furniture finish.

Never knew there was a tung tree, alwasy wondered where the oil came from. Thought it might be like La Mancho goat ears being used for ear bacon. Just didn;t know what kind of animal tongue they used

srjohns1":2jn61yxd said:
Look's like a tung oil tree. Years ago they grew lots of them in south Ms for paint ingredients also in some furniture finish.

Your right. These are the reminants of a oil plantation near my house. They are beautiful trees when in bloom.

Jo, do the deer (or anything else I guess) eat the fruit?
"Every part of the tree is poisonous..."
Just for us or for critters, too?

I've never seen as much as a blemish on the leaves but I'm sure something must eat on it. Here is what they say about it.

All parts of tung tree are toxic, but the fruits are most dangerous. Eating even one seed may be fatal. Symptoms may include severe stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, slowed breathing, and poor reflexes. The leaves give some people a poison-ivy-like rash. The Plant Conservation Alliance categorizes this species as an Alien Invader and it is listed as a Category II invasive exotic species by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council. This means that it has "shown a potential to disrupt native plant communities." Although this ranking suggests that tung tree is capable of naturalizing and should not be allowed to spread into the woods, experience has shown that it does not compete aggressively. Tung trees have soft wood that is easily shattered by strong winds, so they should not be planted too close to buildings.