What kind of tractor?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Having serious thoughts about a new tractor. I am thinking a 50-70 hp would be enough for what I need. What brands do y'all find reliable? We are close to dealerships of John Deere, New Holland, Kubota, and Massey Ferguson. I have also heard of some that like Kioti and think there is a dealership for them 30 or 40 miles away.

A thought on tractor horsepower. Many years ago, tractor horsepower was either "drawbar" HP or "PTO" HP. One is the power that can be delivered to the tires to pull an implement - plow, harrow, etc. One was the power that can be delivered to the PTO shaft to rotate an implement - silage chopper, rotary mower, etc. Drawbar HP was always less than PTO HP. Tractors were heavy - in terms of weight and duty. Advertisements and brochures listed drawbar HP and PTO HP. Nobody was concerned about engine HP because it had no use other than producing drawbar HP or PTO HP. Then in the race of more is better, manufacturers started focusing advertisements and classifications on engine horsepower and removing weight from the tractor making it harder to make use of that engine horsepower. In the 1940's and 1950's, the most common farm tractors had horsepowers in the 30's and 40's range and weighed a lot. Now, 30 hp is the high end of a lawn mower. A current 70 or 80 hp tractor is a relatively small/weaker tractor compared to a 70 or 80 hp tractor of 40 to 50 years ago. Old tractors are now described as underpowered for their weight. I tend to think that current tractors are overpowered for their weight. A FEL was rare on the old heavy tractors and is pretty much expected on the new lighter tractors. That 5000# 70 hp tractor of today with a FEL that can lift 2000# 10 feet in the air can get you in trouble pretty quick compared to that old 7500# 70 hp tractor. Stability and weight are important, especially in uneven ground.

2016 2706e MF w/loader Not too big, or small... for my purpose.
Did everything I asked it to do.
Bought it used with 360hrs in Dec 17
I tested MF, Kubota and a NH - couldn't afford a JD

I wasn't bred any color, and if I had any kind of leanings, it was probably toward "the other red" (MF), but over the years, my machinery lineup has gradually become more and more green. Not because I think they're the best built machines out there, but more because they're just the best selling brand out there.

Why is that important? Because numbers matter, literally. In the U.S., Deere (and CIH/NH next) sell more machines (at least tractors) than anybody else in the marketplace. Go to TractorHouse, for example, and look up how many 80-120 hp tractors are listed for each brand, and compare (I DIDN'T go and do this, just making an anecdotal observation based on past searches). In general, if Deere has say 5000 listed, CIH/NH will probably have 2500. Kubota has really been gaining marketshare in the last few years, but still, will probably only have maybe 1000 or less. All Agco's will be like 1000 or less, combined (and BTW, I own 2 Massey's and an Allis, only "green tractor" I own is an early 80's Stieger). In 10 years, or 20, which one will be easier to get parts for? Obviously the one that has the most numbers out there. Which one will it be easier for the dealer, regardless of the color he sells, to STOCK parts for? The one with the most numbers again. Which one will the salvage yards be most interested in buying up so THEY have a parts inventory for them? The one with the most numbers again. After considering that, which one will the parts probably be the lowest cost for? Again, the one that has the most numbers out there.

I don't care how great a tractor (or any machine) might be... they ALL will have their weakest link, and they ALL will require parts at some point. If you can't get the parts you need, the machine is worthless to you. Fendt is a very popular, high end tractor in Europe. Good luck getting the parts you need here in the U.S. And especially if trying to find a used part from a salvage yard.

On the HP question, I have a saying about skid loaders, tractors, and trucks..... "Just buy em big!" You'll never be sorry you got a model a little bigger than you thought you would need. If you don't need the HP, you can idle her down and it won't use any more fuel than the smaller one. Metal fatigue will be minimized throughout the entire driveline. But buy it on the smallish side to try to "save a little money", and you'll always be bumping up against that "overloading" situation, and the whole rig won't last nearly as long. There's just no substitute for HP and load capacity.

BTW, I've always felt that the parts for my Agco stuff seemed to be somewhat more expensive than for my "green stuff", and I expect that's for the reasons mentioned above. My Agco dealers have been great... so has the Deere, and my son's father-in-law is the parts guy for our closest CIH dealer, and they've been great too. But overall, I prefer the experience that I've found at Deere. That DOESN'T mean that I always prefer the design and features of their rigs though!!! :)

Last edited:
Currently I have a Ford 3000, about 50 yrs old. It's a solid little tractor that used to be used for cutting and raking hay, setting tobacco and light odd jobs. Now almost all the use it sees is pulling corn wagons in and out of barn for the feed truck, and tilling the garden. Have a Ford 7710 that was a lemon from day one has leaked from every possible place from the start. Even had warranty work done on it to no avail. When it's running it can get a job done and is heavy and has power but fluids of about all kinds have to be added often. A case C70 with a fel. It's not a 4wd so it has limitations as to what I use it for on the hills especially in winter months that are typically mud. I mainly use the 2 bigger tractors for moving and feeding hay. I have an inner ear disease and can't be on a tractor but about a couple hours anymore, so I have to hire hay, and pasture mowing out. My thinking is that a tractor similar size to the C70 with a fel but with 4wd would do pretty much what I need. I'm a rare person in that I don't prefer a cab tractor. They are nice in the winter rains but it wears me out getting in and out of the 7710 to go through gates. I have noticed that even though it's through the same company the filters for both fords combined are cheaper than for Case.

To go with what silver said. Typically within a series you are looking at the exact same machine just wish different hp.(turbos)
The weight and lift capacity will be the same.
A 75 hp jd e won't lift anymore than a 65 or even 55 I think.
Also look at weight of the tractor itself. The lift capacity is limited to the tipping point. My biggest knock on Kubota and is how light they are when compared to others.

The two Kubotas we've had in that horsepower range have been great tractors (M4900 and m6800). Those models are a little older, so can't speak to the newer ones. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

Couple older tractors can do more, and are cheaper than a single new tractor. Just throwing that out there.
That's true, that's why I've crippled along with what we have for so long. I could have bought a new pretty good sized tractor for what we have put into these though.

This is my tractor bible: https://tractortestlab.unl.edu/testreports
You can separate the wheat from the chaff on this site.
I used to work across the street from the UNL tractor lab/test track. I've watched many a test (the only spectator).

I took my father to the tractor museum attached to the lab. In the reverse of my childhood -- I had to yell at him for climbing on all the museum pieces. He got up on one old Farmall and then couldn't get down. I had to lift him down like my 3 year old (who was with us). haha

I have the same, one of the best tractors I've ever owned.
That's good. The one we have is a work horse when it's going, but it's been an expensive venture to keep it going. I heard from someone a while back that had bought a 6610 recently and they were having hydraulic trouble too. My father sold a 5600 Ford off when he brought in the big blue lemon as I call it. I often wish he had just kept the other one, although the 4wd has been nice a lot of times.

Latest posts