what kind of supplement for heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

lakeviewwalker

Reaction score
i have 3 heifers from last spring that I plan to breed this year and also a cow that will calve this spring. I am feeding them free choice timothy hay. I have been using myneral lyx replacement heifer lick tubs as a supplement but I think they are hitting them harder than they need. I havent had the hay tested so not sure of qaulity but It looks good and smells good. The feed store told me 1 lick tub should last 200 to 260 days. I have gone through 2 in 100 days. I think with the small amountof animals they hit it to hard I dont know any thoughts? thinking maybe I could feed a supplement cheaper if so what kind of feed and how much? maybe they dont need anything but I want to make sure that they are cycling good and ready to be bred come summer thanks for the help

lakeviewwalker":3k1f6uey said:
i have 3 heifers from last spring that I plan to breed this year and also a cow that will calve this spring. I am feeding them free choice timothy hay. I have been using myneral lyx replacement heifer lick tubs as a supplement but I think they are hitting them harder than they need. I havent had the hay tested so not sure of qaulity but It looks good and smells good. The feed store told me 1 lick tub should last 200 to 260 days. I have gone through 2 in 100 days. I think with the small amountof animals they hit it to hard I dont know any thoughts? thinking maybe I could feed a supplement cheaper if so what kind of feed and how much? maybe they dont need anything but I want to make sure that they are cycling good and ready to be bred come summer thanks for the help

Quite frankly I believe you should be able to feed them hay, free choice mineral and water. That being stated, I am not in favour of straight timothy for cattle feed. As for the lick tubs - I never use them - cow candy and very expensive fdor what you get in return.

If you are buying hay get some that has some legume in it - if it is yours, keep using it. No sense spending money that does not have to be spent.

I am not a believer in buying supplement feed for animals unless they are under condition.

I bet they will do just fine with hay, free choice mineral and water. If you want, throw them a couple pounds of grain per head each day - will not hurt them and is not expensive. Straight oats or straight corn is fine. Some will say roll it but that is another unnecessary expense.

Best to all

Bez

I am with Bez. Although I would throw out the grain altogether and just feed decent hay. Keep the ones the do well on it and sell the rest. These are becoming your future cows and they should be treated as such. Let the cream rise to the top.

Cattle were designed by their maker to consume grass and water. If managed properly they require nothing else.

Are the heifers penned up or out on pasture? In my experience you can't put tubs in with penned cattle or they'll overconsume out of boredom.

ohiosteve":33rxt8a2 said:
Cattle were designed by their maker to consume grass and water. If managed properly they require nothing else.
True if the hay and/or grazing is good enough to maintain them. If not a little supplementation may be in order.

Yes the timothy hay is mine I plan on planting some different alfalfa blended pasture mixes but for now its what I have they are out to pasture but we have a foot of snow so they only use a small area where hay water and shed are I appreciate the advice just want to make sure there nutritional needs are met

Base their requirements on BCS (Body Condition Score). Search on here for BCS and you will find discussions and pictures of how to determine what condition they are in. I like heifers to be a 6 at calving, at least a 5.5 at breeding.

You are talking about 1 year old heifers that you plan on breeding in a few months. You need them to be 60 to 65% of their mature weight before breeding so they are big enough to have a calf on their own and raise it while they continue to grow. Without knowing your area and truly how good your hay is, or where your heifers are right now, no one here can give you good advice. Texas Bred was right, depending on their hay they may need supplemented. Their breed and size will determine if they are ready to breed by summer. Remember you are not trying to maintain them. They are growing and if you want them ready to breed by 15 months old they may need more. As far as the tubs, I agree with Bez, they are a waste of money. If you have to feed, feed something else. Even sack feed is cheaper. I bet if you look at your tubs the manufacture claims between 1 and 2lbs a day per head consumption. I don't think 3 one year old heifers and a bred cow going 100 days on 2 tubs is overconsuming. If they are 200# tubs, thats 1# a day per head.

Latest posts