What kind of heifer is this

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S":1jwykj7g said:
It's hard to tell for sure, but just looking at that one picture I'd guess she's a Brangus and Longhorn cross. Her ears and color show the Brangus, and the horns and thin legs make me think Longhorn.

Yep and the LH was carrying the African horn gene.
Typical horns you see from the gene in a polled cross here.
Some Brahmans carry the gene as well will get nubs to short horns.
It is one of the genes that doesn't play by the rules like chrome in SH,LH
and the diluter in Chars.

BK9954":3in9eacc said:
My question is would a black corriente with a hereford bull produce some kind of a black baldie?

I would say it would yes. I've only seen Corriente's crossed with Charolais' but I would think a Hereford bred to that heifer would come out a black baldy......won't know until you try lol.

I would definitely give her a chance. Our Corriente's are great momma cows.

BK9954":1z9lhn2o said:
My question is would a black corriente with a hereford bull produce some kind of a black baldie?

My question is why would you want to produce it?
If you had that calf and a dose of :clap: at least you would have something you couldn't beat.

My calves will be sold at the Auction barn. I bought her for $700. If she is low maintenance and the pastures stay green I dont mind. If a drought hits again in Central Tx like it did 5 years ago she would be at the sale barn.

Don't let CB talk you out of what you want to do. That heifer will be fine and will raise a great calf. You will definitely make money off of her calf since you only paid $700 for her.

BK9954":3v6g2uqh said:
My calves will be sold at the Auction barn. I bought her for $700. If she is low maintenance and the pastures stay green I dont mind. If a drought hits again in Central Tx like it did 5 years ago she would be at the sale barn.

Drought or not it is cheaper and more profitable to keep a good cow.
I can tell you this if that was your first drought and scared you.
You have a long row to hoe. That drought was fantastic we still got good money
for our cows. The ones before dang near had to pay to get someone to take them.

East Tx didnt get it like Caldwell County did. We still have hundreds of dead trees that need to be hauled out or burned. The drought may have been fantastic for you. We were buying your hay grown in east Tx. Caldwell county was the worst in Tx. Round bales went up to $150 that year. I agree it is better to keep a good cow but I dont have the money to trade up. Not with these prices. Calves were going at $3 a pound at the auction today. Heifers were going from $2.25-$2.90 a pound. Even the steers were high. The market is pretty high right now with all the rain we have had.

BK roll with her and laugh all the way to the bank when you sell her calves. A guy posted a picture on the longhorn cross thread of a small Longhorn cow that had a Hereford calf and when it weaned it was HUGE. I believe you got a money maker.

BK9954":1mfxhngn said:
East Tx didnt get it like Caldwell County did. We still have hundreds of dead trees that need to be hauled out or burned. The drought may have been fantastic for you. We were buying your hay grown in east Tx. Caldwell county was the worst in Tx. Round bales went up to $150 that year. I agree it is better to keep a good cow but I dont have the money to trade up. Not with these prices. Calves were going at $3 a pound at the auction today. Heifers were going from $2.25-$2.90 a pound. Even the steers were high. The market is pretty high right now with all the rain we have had.

It was fantastic I had to liquidate 70% of my herd. We got decent prices when we were over a barrel.
Like I said earlier wait to you operate through a few and they give you pennies on the dollar.
The only reason I survived was I have a philosophy there is no such thing as too much hay.
If I hadn't had three winters worth put up it would have been ugly and time to get out and play another day.
When they become welfare cattle it is time to dump them.
We got hammered I am very familiar with Caldwell county as I hunt it every year.
Difference is we came out in a very small part in 2012 . Vegetation that gets 60+ inches
a year dies like you have never seen when it only gets 10 inches.
Yall have no clue what dead trees are until you get over in this rain forest.
They are still dyeing and falling from the drought when you check fence it is only good
while you are looking at it.
Ask GB about trees that will most likely endear him to you forever.
We get another storm through here we will be without power for months from down trees.