what kind of grass is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
0922101905.jpg
what kind of grass is this? it grows like hotcakes and likes soggy feet and the more the cows eat it the thicker it gets!
grows like a bermuda but has a different seed head (see blurriness in top center)

its definitely not centipede, i have plenty of that. this stuff will get bushy and tall like bermuda.

at the very top of the picture you can see a runner of Alicia bermuda to compare it with. this stuff is stalkier, and 2 or 3 times bigger. it kind of reminds me of tift 85 but i dont have any of that (of course whatever it is just showed up-) and i dont think its that though, ive seen it and this seems bigger (stalkier). the seed head isnt like a bermuda at all?

if it is a crabgrass it is unlike any i know of. it grows all of the growing season and comes back from the root and spreads like wildfire from the root. the cows seldom let it seed.

whatever it is, it is welcome here. i am setting it out in all the wet spots that are too soggy for bermuda and all the washouts. it absolutely loves muddy clay! and does well in the sand too.

By GaPrime, i think youve got it!

rats, i was going to pretend like i sprayed the magical amount of roundup and mutated my own special bermuda x crabgrass hybrid. (b/c thats how i can best describe this grass).

Beefy":1gmzrrb5 said:
By GaPrime, i think youve got it!

rats, i was going to pretend like i sprayed the magical amount of roundup and mutated my own special bermuda x crabgrass hybrid. (b/c thats how i can best describe this grass).
At least Monsanto won't be knocking on your door wanting their cut. :lol2:

I can't see your picture but form your description I could guess that it may be torpedo grass. Google that.

You guys sure have fancy names for stuff. Around here the stuff with the fine seed head like that is crabgrass, coarse seed head is goosegrass. Cows eat it so that's about all that matters

hmmm.

Alabama, i think it may be Torpedo grass. its definitely either Torpedo grass or Nimblewill (if they are different). it has a seedhead just like that Torpedo grass. since the cows keep it clipped down its looks more like the pictures of the nimblewill (vegetatively). i shall investigate more. thanks for the help fellas. yay for invasives.

Latest posts