What kind of grass is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

kenojoe":3vd2rxhs said:
I think we have a winner. I looked at the link for Dallisgrass and that looks pretty much like what is taking over. The bad thing is it looks like it is hard to get rid of. Any ideas on how to eradicate it out of a field?
Let it grow two weeks and post another photo. At this point I still say crabgrass. I can see the similarity between young dallis. But dallisgrass left uncut and ungrazed with plenty of moisture those seed heads will be more upright and 3 feet long in a short time. Crabgrass can grow pretty fast and tall too, but it has a much finer stem and grass blade.

Another thing to watch is how it spreads. Crabgrass will root at the nodes that touch the ground, far as I know dallis doesn't.

MSMA smokes it and crab grass, but it also gets the clover. It wan't hurt the burmuda though it burns it back somewhat. MSMA will only work when it is around 80 degrees at nite, which means middle of summer for most parts. The problem is this is usually the driest time of year here in Arkansas, and you need the rain to get the burmuda growing again. I can't remember if it will hurt orchard grass, we do not plant it here but others around do. Best bet, go to the nearest Co-Op, get a gallon and read the lable.

I don't think you need a license it buy it, hav'nt bought any in two years. I do know after we sprayed our pasture, we had to spray it again with 24d to kill the broad leafs, mainly doc, it seems they will take over in the places the other weeds/grasses we killed were growing. Not for sure you may even mix the two, just a guess.

PLEASE do not use MSMA in pastures that you intend to graze or cut for hay. It contains arsenic. There is a possibility of it getting in an animal by eating the treated grass and being retained in the meat.

Read the label. It says do not graze or feed treated grass or clippings to livestock. As beef producers, we have a responsibility to use crop aides in a manner that insures the meat we produce is safe.

On a side note, a neighbor used MSMA on his horse pasture. He read the label after using the product. He went to our county agent, who called the manufacturer. The company told the agent to tell the producer to not graze that pasture until the next grazing season. He had to buy hay all summer.

By all means read the lable on all chemicals before use. Only used this chemical once because
dallasgrass was taking over. Also hay cut with dallasgrass seads intact is also poison to livestock.

http//.text.lsuagcenter.com/.../Toxicants+in+Feeds+Hay+and+Forages.htm -

The pasture sprayed with this chemical was layed fallow for last two seasons.

Latest posts