What kind of grass is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
I have had cheyenne bermuda planted for 3 years in the same field. This year, for the first time, I had chicken manure spread on it. All of a sudden I had a grass appear that has blades about 3/8 wide and dark green. It shoots up a seed pod that looks similar to bahia, but it is thinner. It is taking over in places quickly. The edges of the leaves are a redish-purple. I don't think it is johnson grass. Any body have any idea what this is and how to get rid of it?

I am out of town right now so no pics available. I looked up some pics on the net and crab grass looks like it might be it. What can I spray on it to kill it out?

The recent post of crab grass put a query in my mind.
I have grass not doing very well that has red purple tips from about half way up the blades to the tip.

Could anyone hazard a guess?

Its a flat lying grass doesnt rise above about two inches off the ground.

i'm not sure how to get rid of crabgrass since it makes good cow feed for me, but it looks like it would be pretty easy to kill with a spray or you could probably just keep it mowed so that it doesnt get to reseed and get rid of it that way...?

it was probably already there and the chicken litter just gave it the boost it needed to take off...

DustyH":aern3c8y said:
what can I spray to kill crabgrass and Dallisgrass
The best way to cure this is by chocking it out by improveing growth of bremuda. Dallis and crab will both come back from seed.
But dallas makes good hay.

dusty,

not sure where in LA. you are, but you might be able to bring it to your local county extension agent. They can be pretty helpful in identification and how to get rid of it.

Bluestem":3hlt9d18 said:
The purple may be a sign of a lack of available P in the soil.

I always try to P in the soil when I feel the need. Had to poo once or twice too. I always keep a roll of toilet paper in the truck for emergencies. :lol:

Walt

Dallis does make good forage, but it is hard to get it to dry out when cutting it for hay. It takes three times as long to dry it out as does bermuda.

Some folks add (atrozeen) sp)) to the early spring burn down of round up to keep the crabgrass from coming up.

Latest posts