What kind of feed should i feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

FutureFarmer

Reaction score
I have young heifer calves that were just weaned from there moms.. I was wondering what percent protein and fat should i look for in feeds to feed them out properly?

Thanks in Advance,
Devon :cboy:

"feed them out" as in for slaughter or breeding, it makes a difference. What do the way?

I would feed them about 1-1 1/2 lbs of a 16% grain with not much corn in it. Start them slow and gradually increase the grain. As they get over 700-800 lbs I would put them on good hay/pasture and let nature take it's course. I'm assuming these are young calves, i.e. 4-5 months old.

FutureFarmer":30j2ckg6 said:
I have young heifer calves that were just weaned from there moms.. I was wondering what percent protein and fat should i look for in feeds to feed them out properly?

Thanks in Advance,
Devon ---I assume these calves just weaned and I hope they are now weighing at least 450 lbs. I dont know what kind of cattle you have but an avg cow weighing in at 1200 should at least be able to wean a heifer calf at 450#. That being said, normally you want to grow out a heifer where she will weigh 65% of mature weight at breeding. So if her mature weight is 1100 you want her to weigh in the 700's at breeding. I go by weight, but also prefer she be at least 15 months at breeding that way it is easier to record her progress over the years as she should have a calf per year at age 2,3,4,5,6,7,8...... etc
710 lbs at 15 months (breeding) - 450 lb heifer at 7 months = 260 lb gain in 8 months (avg = 33 lbs/mo)

a heifer weighing in at 450 needs 1.3 lbs of total protien per day to gain no more than 1.1 lbs per day (33+ lbs per month)

"(Duns' ration, for example: 16 % ration at 1.5 lbs per day would yeild a Total protein of <0.22 lbs of Total protein which is really wrong)" don't do that, because even to maintain an animal weighing in at 450# requires at least 0.7 lbs TP per day

That being said, I would recommend the following:

a 12- 13 % ration with corn (energy is required) (240 to 260 lbs TP per ton) This isn't rocket science
Corn 800 lbs per ton @ 9% CP = 72 lbs TP
Soybean Hulls 600 lbs per ton @ 12% = 72 lbs TP
Soybean meal 250 lbs per ton @ 44% = 110 lbs TP
300 lbs of coarse grass hay per ton @ 5% = 7 lbs TP
50+ lb of all purpose mineral per ton = 260 lbs TP or ~ 13% feed ration

Remember a 450 lb calf can only eat about 2.8% of its' body weight (BWt) per day which is 13+ lbs of something per day

You must start them out slowly (Dun was right about that part only) and I would feed them 3 lbs to start for a few days
Should take about a week to get them on a full ration. 3 lbs of 13% x .90 TDN = 0.35 lbs TP + free choice grass hay@ 12%
Every few days up their feed until you get to 5 lbs of feed per day of the 13% ration--say by the 7th day. Clean water is also a must.

450 lb heifer post-weaning; post back-grounding;
Month 1, should be getting 5 lbs of 13% ration + free choice 12% grass hay (whatever you do in the feeding realm, remember that your heifers are still ruminant animals and they need at least 20% of their diet to be in the form of a forage) (this is why I always incorporate coarse grass hay into my feed rations to keep the rumen active)

Post Weaning
Month 1 (450 lb heifers) (1.10 TP)
5 lbs of 13% FEED = 0.65 lbs TP and 8 lbs of grass hay @ 12 % CP and 50 % TDN = 0.48 lbs of TP which = 1.13 lbs TP per day, which will meet their requirements.

Month 2 (485 lb heifers) (1.10 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 3 (520 lb heifers) (1.35 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 4 (555 lb heifers) (1.40 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 5 (590 lb heifers) (1.40 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 6 (625 lb heifers) (1.50 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 7 (660 lb heifers) (1.50 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 8 (705 lb heifers) (1.55 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math

or say you had 10 weaned heifers to grow out you could plant 5 acres of Rye @ 2.5 to 3 bu. per acre and graze them on it for about 2.5 hours per day then offer them free choice hay, which can be low quality for filler, and call it a day, then spend your excess cash money on a new deer rifle.
That's It!
T

4CTophand":2b1ve5b4 said:
FutureFarmer":2b1ve5b4 said:

Thanks in Advance,
Devon ---I assume these calves just weaned and I hope they are now weighing at least 450 lbs. I dont know what kind of cattle you have but an avg cow weighing in at 1200 should at least be able to wean a heifer calf at 450#. That being said, normally you want to grow out a heifer where she will weigh 65% of mature weight at breeding. So if her mature weight is 1100 you want her to weigh in the 700's at breeding. I go by weight, but also prefer she be at least 15 months at breeding that way it is easier to record her progress over the years as she should have a calf per year at age 2,3,4,5,6,7,8...... etc
710 lbs at 15 months (breeding) - 450 lb heifer at 7 months = 260 lb gain in 8 months (avg = 33 lbs/mo)

a heifer weighing in at 450 needs 1.3 lbs of total protien per day to gain no more than 1.1 lbs per day (33+ lbs per month)

"(Duns' ration, for example: 16 % ration at 1.5 lbs per day would yeild a Total protein of <0.22 lbs of Total protein which is really wrong)" don't do that, because even to maintain an animal weighing in at 450# requires at least 0.7 lbs TP per day

a 12- 13 % ration with corn (energy is required) (240 to 260 lbs TP per ton) This isn't rocket science

Remember a 450 lb calf can only eat about 2.8% of its' body weight (BWt) per day which is 13+ lbs of something per day

You must start them out slowly (Dun was right about that part only) and I would feed them 3 lbs to start for a few days
Should take about a week to get them on a full ration. 3 lbs of 13% x .90 TDN = 0.35 lbs TP + free choice grass hay@ 12%
Every few days up their feed until you get to 5 lbs of feed per day of the 13% ration--say by the 7th day. Clean water is also a must.

Month 1, should be getting 5 lbs of 13% ration + free choice 12% grass hay (whatever you do in the feeding realm, remember that your heifers are still ruminant animals and they need at least 20% of their diet to be in the form of a forage) (this is why I always incorporate coarse grass hay into my feed rations to keep the rumen active)

Post Weaning
5 lbs of 13% FEED = 0.65 lbs TP and 8 lbs of grass hay @ 12 % CP and 50 % TDN = 0.48 lbs of TP which = 1.13 lbs TP per day, which will meet their requirements.

or say you had 10 weaned heifers to grow out you could plant 5 acres of Rye @ 2.5 to 3 bu. per acre and graze them on it for about 2.5 hours per day then offer them free choice hay, which can be low quality for filler, and call it a day, then spend your excess cash money on a new deer rifle.
That's It!
T
You apparntly missed the gradually increase them part!
With decent hay, not junk, if they can;t grow out on that ration they really don;t need to be kept as breeders. We don;t feed grain except during the weaning phase, after that it's hay or stockpiled pasture.

We use a method something like Dun is doing. We usually give them about 2 pounds of feed per head per day and it is about 14%, plus pasture or hay. We usually feed them that up til they are turned out with a bull.

Dun I'm scratching my head wondering where he came up with that 90% TDN on that "mix" he's recommending. Lots of ciphering done there to end up with a wrong answer everytime. :lol:

I like the idea of developing heifers on a good fine mixed hay. Add 3-4 pounds of 14% and a good block with protein, vitamin, salt and mineral. I like cracked corn. But we are in a cold climate, outside cattle. I want my heifers at least 800 pounds at breeding. There's no scientific formula here, just stuff that works in our climate.

Surely one with such vast and indepth knowledge of the cattle business can't be wrong. TB you and Dun surely are mistaken. To disbeleive someone who is capable of planting corn at the rate of 15 acres per hour and is called upon by millonaires for their expertise in the cattle business, and agriculture. Whose taste testing palate can tell the difference in the breed of cattle a steak came off of by their sense of smell. A greater knowledge of cattle i have never seen. Yet you guys question what this idoit says. :lol: :lol:

Red Bull Breeder":hp5w0cet said:
Surely one with such vast and indepth knowledge of the cattle business can't be wrong. TB you and Dun surely are mistaken. To disbeleive someone who is capable of planting corn at the rate of 15 acres per hour and is called upon by millonaires for their expertise in the cattle business, and agriculture. Whose taste testing palate can tell the difference in the breed of cattle a steak came off of by their sense of smell. A greater knowledge of cattle i have never seen. Yet you guys question what this idoit says. :lol: :lol:

Bull, you're probably right. I guess I probably forgot to figure the good high TDN of that 5% hay into the mix. I'll sit back and wait for the expert to show me exactly where I'm wrong, but it appears he's not using NRC standards. :lol:

dun":35ho1osc said:
You apparntly missed the gradually increase them part!
With decent hay, not junk, if they can;t grow out on that ration they really don;t need to be kept as breeders. We don;t feed grain except during the weaning phase, after that it's hay or stockpiled pasture.

I agree. :cowboy:

FutureFarmer":3vni7pwn said:

Thanks in Advance,

As much protein and fat that is in your grass. Hopefully, no feed is necessary. Even if you just allow your cattle to eat only grass contained on your property, the chances of making a return on your investment, taking into consideration all normals costs, is slim to none. If you have good quality grass, your return may be slim instead of none.

4CTophand":2rrdtw3b said:
(this is why I always incorporate coarse grass hay into my feed rations to keep the rumen active)
T

Now this is interesting.

Seems that on another thread you were ranting and raving about how stupid it was to feed hay.

Seems that you were going to be totally independent from hay.

I wonder who's looking stupid now.....

Keep working on them people skills 4CT. Maybe one day, you can be as good with them as your are them cattle skills that you so proclaim to the world.

grannysoo":u1tswxdo said:
4CTophand":u1tswxdo said:
(this is why I always incorporate coarse grass hay into my feed rations to keep the rumen active)
T

Now this is interesting.

Seems that on another thread you were ranting and raving about how stupid it was to feed hay.

Seems that you were going to be totally independent from hay.

I wonder who's looking stupid now.....

Keep working on them people skills 4CT. Maybe one day, you can be as good with them as your are them cattle skills that you so proclaim to the world.
I realize you are a few fries short of a happy meal with the education being what it is in your area, but you are so ignorant you didn't even know that to keep the rumen active a "ruminant animal" needs at leat 20% of their diet to be in forage--- and since this person probably had hay as most people do ---I used hay for this example. But it is true you are the Guru of fools.

4CTophand":1erf7npi said:
I realize you are a few fries short of a happy meal with the education being what it is in your area, but you are so ignorant you didn't even know that to keep the rumen active a "ruminant animal" needs at leat 20% of their diet to be in forage--- and since this person probably had hay as most people do ---I used hay for this example. But it is true you are the Guru of fools.

I bow down before you almighty cow-god. Thank you for blessing us with your great experience and wisdom in order that us low un-educated hicks might tap into your wisdom. Without you, I don't know how I ever could or would survive raising these un-educated backwoods cattle. Please forgive us fools that can't even find enough fries to complete our happy meals. I must immediately shoot all my cows and place myself on the short school bus now, for my ignorance is showing....... :cry2:

Sorry you had the short bus experience-- maybe sometime in your future you can attend a few college courses in Beef Cattle Production even if it is from some stuffed shirt Professor that doesnt own any cows -- but at least it would make ya feel better.

4CTophand":igr8sshh said:
FutureFarmer":igr8sshh said:

Thanks in Advance,

Post Weaning

That's It!
T

WOW, you are smart, you must have taken the " cut and paste master beef producer course in Tn."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Corn 800 lbs per ton @ 9% CP = 72 lbs TP Your other post you used 8% protein for corn

Soybean Hulls 600 lbs per ton @ 12% = 72 lbs TP Protein normally is 10% for soybean hulls

Soybean meal 250 lbs per ton @ 44% = 110 lbs TP Why use 44%?? Use 47.5% and cut the hulls out of your bean meal.

300 lbs of coarse grass hay per ton @ 5% = 7 lbs TP Garbage

50+ lb of all purpose mineral per to = 260 lbs TP or ~ 13% feed ration Why waste 50 lbs. on mineral when you can buy concentrated trace mineral and vitamin premixes with inclusion rates of only 1 lb. per ton leaving 49 lbs. for other nutrients.

Also you're skipping some steps in your calculations. Rework your paper and turn it in tomorrow with realistic numbers using NRC standards. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:

Latest posts