What kind of feed should i feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

ROCKSPRINGS":mlcwyzdk said:
4CTophand":mlcwyzdk said:
FutureFarmer":mlcwyzdk said:
I have young heifer calves that were just weaned from there moms.. I was wondering what percent protein and fat should i look for in feeds to feed them out properly?

Thanks in Advance,
Devon :cboy:
Devon ---I assume these calves just weaned and I hope they are now weighing at least 450 lbs. I dont know what kind of cattle you have but an avg cow weighing in at 1200 should at least be able to wean a heifer calf at 450#. That being said, normally you want to grow out a heifer where she will weigh 65% of mature weight at breeding. So if her mature weight is 1100 you want her to weigh in the 700's at breeding. I go by weight, but also prefer she be at least 15 months at breeding that way it is easier to record her progress over the years as she should have a calf per year at age 2,3,4,5,6,7,8...... etc
710 lbs at 15 months (breeding) - 450 lb heifer at 7 months = 260 lb gain in 8 months (avg = 33 lbs/mo)

a heifer weighing in at 450 needs 1.3 lbs of total protien per day to gain no more than 1.1 lbs per day (33+ lbs per month)

"(Duns' ration, for example: 16 % ration at 1.5 lbs per day would yeild a Total protein of <0.22 lbs of Total protein which is really wrong)" don't do that, because even to maintain an animal weighing in at 450# requires at least 0.7 lbs TP per day

That being said, I would recommend the following:

a 12- 13 % ration with corn (energy is required) (240 to 260 lbs TP per ton) This isn't rocket science
Corn 800 lbs per ton @ 9% CP = 72 lbs TP
Soybean Hulls 600 lbs per ton @ 12% = 72 lbs TP
Soybean meal 250 lbs per ton @ 44% = 110 lbs TP
300 lbs of coarse grass hay per ton @ 5% = 7 lbs TP
50+ lb of all purpose mineral per ton = 260 lbs TP or ~ 13% feed ration

Remember a 450 lb calf can only eat about 2.8% of its' body weight (BWt) per day which is 13+ lbs of something per day

You must start them out slowly (Dun was right about that part only) and I would feed them 3 lbs to start for a few days
Should take about a week to get them on a full ration. 3 lbs of 13% x .90 TDN = 0.35 lbs TP + free choice grass hay@ 12%
Every few days up their feed until you get to 5 lbs of feed per day of the 13% ration--say by the 7th day. Clean water is also a must.

450 lb heifer post-weaning; post back-grounding;
Month 1, should be getting 5 lbs of 13% ration + free choice 12% grass hay (whatever you do in the feeding realm, remember that your heifers are still ruminant animals and they need at least 20% of their diet to be in the form of a forage) (this is why I always incorporate coarse grass hay into my feed rations to keep the rumen active)

Post Weaning
Month 1 (450 lb heifers) (1.10 TP)
5 lbs of 13% FEED = 0.65 lbs TP and 8 lbs of grass hay @ 12 % CP and 50 % TDN = 0.48 lbs of TP which = 1.13 lbs TP per day, which will meet their requirements.

Month 2 (485 lb heifers) (1.10 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 3 (520 lb heifers) (1.35 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 4 (555 lb heifers) (1.40 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 5 (590 lb heifers) (1.40 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 6 (625 lb heifers) (1.50 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 7 (660 lb heifers) (1.50 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math
Month 8 (705 lb heifers) (1.55 TP) adjust feed accordingly and do your own math

or say you had 10 weaned heifers to grow out you could plant 5 acres of Rye @ 2.5 to 3 bu. per acre and graze them on it for about 2.5 hours per day then offer them free choice hay, which can be low quality for filler, and call it a day, then spend your excess cash money on a new deer rifle.
That's It!
T

WOW, you are smart, you must have taken the " cut and paste master beef producer course in Tn."
No not really Rocksprings --- just a lil time in reality--- unlike you in that H3ll hole you live in. Best thing about Rocksprings is Eldorado.But from your post I can see you have much to add... back under your rock---- sparky

4CTophand":ik60rxe3 said:
maybe sometime in your future you can attend a few college courses in Beef Cattle Production even if it is from some stuffed shirt Professor that doesnt own any cows

That's what we're all getting now. Thank you Professor. :nod:

4CTophand":p2pbcxpi said:
Sorry you had the short bus experience

You should try this some time Professor. You will find some of the most kind people in the world on that bus.

The best thing about them? They don't act like what they sit on. You could learn a lot there.

Looking for more of your insight and brilliance Professor. :dunce:

Latest posts