What kind of feed do you use?

Help Support CattleToday:

sillco":3k3ngt0z said:
Why want you feed coastal to horses? My horses lived entirely on coastal and grass. Now that was well fertilized coastal.

I have a horse that has colicked already, plus a horse that has choked, and my vet recommends that I don't feed it. I know there are tons of people that feed it with no problems. But people tend to cut it too short around here and that makes it easier to cause an impaction.

Lets see I feed bahia grass and bermuda grass, with bahia hay and coastal hay. Yep thats it grass.

All I plan on feeding this summer is grass. And once I get some weight back on the cows, I won't be feeding any grain, just hay. I just want to get them back to a good weight, and since hay is so scarce around here I need to supplement with something else.

Rose- If I find something that works I'll let you know. They sure are nosy animals. I was out fixing the fence and silly cows followed me everywhere I went. When yours run around bucking and stuff, do they run in a circle? Mine do, it reminded me of an old cowboy movie..LOL

Thanks for all the replies, hopefully I can get these girls back to a good weight and they can go on with grass and hay from then on.

I think beet pulp is great for putting a debilitated animal back up to decent weight without risking digestive upsets. Too much protein, if an animal's not used to it can cause kidney problems. I always wet the beet pulp when I dump it into the feeder, everybody seems to love it, it comes with a little molasses, I think.

paso

pasomare":1n12hvck said:
I think beet pulp is great for putting a debilitated animal back up to decent weight without risking digestive upsets. Too much protein, if an animal's not used to it can cause kidney problems. I always wet the beet pulp when I dump it into the feeder, everybody seems to love it, it comes with a little molasses, I think.

paso

I have my 24 year old mare on beet pulp now, I can probably put the two cows on some for a little while too. I love the stuff, it does great for under weight horses.

My soon to be, 9 year old son LOVES your tagline Paso, he's a little dragon freak! Wants everything dragon. I'm trying to find someone to put a dragon on his birthday cake for Tuesday. Not having much luck...lol. The people at the Food Lion bakery just gave me a weird look. :oops:

Beet pulp! i hadnt thought of that, i seen it do great for poor ol horses, i gave it to my mare when she was going to have misty, and feed it to them both, the loved it soaked and the dogs love the beet tea.. but wasn't sure if you could give it to cows, yeah mine ran in a big circle too. they were haveing a great time in that big field, i ended up there standing watching the cows play instead of streching fence.. LOL doest take much to get me side tracked LOL.. what kind of mineral feeder are you useing, { with those big horns} Rose

I made one myself. It's a 5 gallon bucket with a lid that has a 4 in PVC pipe attached to the bottom, about 2 1/2 ft long with the end tapered slightly. I pour the minerals in the top and put a feed pan underneath. It's easy(and inexpensive!) to make and the cows don't have a problem with thier horns getting caught. I will lose a little minerals everytime it rains, but we haven't had much of that lately. :(