What kind of feed bin to buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I am just going to have to buy a feed bin that will hold enough feed to have it delivered and get a good price. What type do I need? Who makes them? What size? What should it cost? Do I need two?
I grow my own corn but I have in the past pulled it and had it ground and bagged. I now have a gronder and would like to store a fair amount of ground ear corn and or buy feed like soy hulls.
Thank y'all in advance for any help.

Brock bins are the most used around here. Good and sturdy too.
Try to find a used one in good shape if you have the means to haul it home.

certherfbeef":gk89m021 said:
Brock bins are the most used around here. Good and sturdy too.
Try to find a used one in good shape if you have the means to haul it home.

That is another thing. I can haul one on a trailer but how do you lay it down and stand them up without a crain?

Last one we moved we dismantled it. Rented a contraption that would hold up the sections while we unbolted. Then used a set of come-alongs and rope/pullies to ease the section to the ground and then onto the trailer.

I'm sure someone has a better way.

Check around your area. There may very well be someone that makes steel ones close by.
You can stand one up, depending on how tall it is, with a re4ally large heavy tractor. Brace the feet on one side and pull. That works great sometimes and smetimes it bends the legs and is a disaster. Most of the round types are delivered by whoever sells them.

dun

alabama":14dfsvox said:
I am just going to have to buy a feed bin that will hold enough feed to have it delivered and get a good price. What type do I need? Who makes them? What size? What should it cost? Do I need two?
I grow my own corn but I have in the past pulled it and had it ground and bagged. I now have a gronder and would like to store a fair amount of ground ear corn and or buy feed like soy hulls.
Thank y'all in advance for any help.

Find a chicken house that's upgrading. Got both of mine for $50 each. Had to put a new cone on one of them but they're cheap.

Caseys Feed over here has a big auger truck they deliver in.

Not sure if that "snapped" corn will auger or not?

I was thinking a cone type to hold aboit 10 tons. Is that on the right track?
How high off the ground can it be and the feed truck still fill it?

alabama":v0yn9jrm said:
I was thinking a cone type to hold aboit 10 tons. Is that on the right track?

That's what I have. The truck auger can reach it with no problem.

Could be several feet higher. If you put it high enough, you wouldn't have to auger the feed out of it. You could gravity it into a front end loader bucket or into the back of a truck.

alabama":2tg4xgfm said:

Deoends on the feed truck. Ours is about 25-30 feet, one mills has a truck that can;t reach it, all of the others do.

dun

Great responces so far and thank you. Just what size is a 10 ton bin? Does anyone know of a contact person that me be able to help me find one or two. Dang a $50 each I need several.

alabama":3szmve14 said:
Great responces so far and thank you. Just what size is a 10 ton bin? Does anyone know of a contact person that me be able to help me find one or two. Dang a $50 each I need several.

The tonnage is the rating with whole corn, at least around here it is. That isn;t any help but at least it will give you an idea of what folks are talking about.

dun

never dealt with corn at all, but one thing to make sure of is to have enough slope on the cone to make the feed run out. Saves alot of hassle.

alabama":7mk3p7kj said:

You've seen mine haven't you? They're 10 ton.

Just go around and stop at all the chicken houses you see and they might know somebody who is upgrading.

Better yet, come by here one Saturday and we'll get us a bottle of Knob Creek and go for a ride. :lol:

alabama, I made a bin, works great. 12X16 holds 10 tons or so. Out of used lumber. I have a 6' door that I board up to take the ground feed out in buckets or use the Bobcat. I can grind my own or buy bulk and have it augered in. works great for me.

mnmt

Buying in bulk- make sure you have enough capacity to hold a whole load-- plus some more room-- to give you a little play time between ordering and delivery.
Its real good to have two smaller ones-- so you can completely empty one and clean it out. When feed sits a few weeks or more it can get condensation or small leaks that lump the feed(not to mention mold) so you want to clean out the crud occasionally.A kiddy plastic pool works great for cleaning out-- just set it under the bin open up the bottom and bang the sides and scape out by hand the bottom.
And with two bins-- when the motor goes out on one(always when you are pushed for time) you can just go to the other bin.

We got second hand bins-- one thing I would have done differently would be to replace the tops before we stood them up even though when we got them they looked good.
And while they are down look inside on a sunny day and spot any potential leaks and patch them while its easy.

Talk to a chicken house equipment dealer-- they can line you up with second hand bins AND set them up for you.

Don't skimp on a solid concrete pad to set them on.

If I were going to be using a loader to use the feed- I wouldn;t go the bin route- its so much easier to have a commodity shed.
The bins get to be a pain with feed gomming up and motors going bad- and it takes too long to run out alot of feed.

Oh yeah-- do you know why the chicken people sell bins that still have some life in them?????

Its because it costs money or time to dispose of a bin-- its easier to sell it to you so that when the time comes its you that has to deal with it :)

Howdyjabo":1tno5j6h said:
When feed sits a few weeks or more it can get condensation or small leaks that lump the feed(not to mention mold) so you want to clean out the crud occasionally.

This is good advice. Ground feed, especially when powdered additives like molasses and mineral are added is a moisture magnet. You want to size them by the rate you use the feed. I start to notice an off smell after about 30 days in mine, so I only have them deliver what I figure I'll use in 30 days even if it doesn't fill it.

Latest posts