What kind of dog.

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie":9b8jbl0x said:
Weenie dog. I have had them all my life. Loyal, smart and territorial. They come in a variety of textures, sizes and colors. Tough as nails and they live a long time. I'm serious. 20 pound bag of food will last you forever. And they love to travel. I take mine everywhere. No joke. Get yourself a Dachshund.

At my age I prefer something that can jump in the truck without my help. :D

I have a collie. Wonderful dog, intelligent, great watch dog, but his coat is just too high maintenance and he is miserable in the summer. Labs are great but their intelligence makes them awfully hard to keep at home and out of trouble.

I would say to get a lab, retriever, or my personal favorite is a rat terrier. Had one who thought she was a human and she was the most loyal dog, trained very easy, protected, was friendly and loved to take rides! ;-)

[/quote]
Well we have all rallied 'round to give you our suggestions about what kind of dog to get. So your question is answered and your decision made.

I'm sure we were all glad to help.[/quote]

I certainly do appreciate all the input. The answers are about as varied as our preferences in cattle breeds - and, of course, we all know ours is the best !!
Thanks again.

Lammie":1kl0b76i said:
My wiener dogs do well outdoors. They stay out there most of the day and then come in at night. Except for one I had that was so small and pathetic that she had to be indoors in the winter because she was naked. All the other animals are used to them. When I was growing up, the wieners never came in the house because my parents would not tolerate a house dog. They did great. Even grew winter coats.

weiner dogs do well outdoors?...I figured they'd drowned with the slightest rain shower :lol: :D

I have three. Most of the time, they are standing at a tree looking up at a squerril. (Or however you spell it! :mad: ) I have one that likes to dig up moles, so he earns his keep. They are also big on laying on the porch in the shade.

Heritage_Farmboy":3pn7ke7p said:
Lammie":3pn7ke7p said:
My wiener dogs do well outdoors. They stay out there most of the day and then come in at night. Except for one I had that was so small and pathetic that she had to be indoors in the winter because she was naked. All the other animals are used to them. When I was growing up, the wieners never came in the house because my parents would not tolerate a house dog. They did great. Even grew winter coats.

weiner dogs do well outdoors?...I figured they'd drowned with the slightest rain shower :lol: :D

We have two of them. The oldest one is 8 and the young one is a yearling! In the winter we have to shovel an area for them to go potty as the snow is to deep and they would rather pee on the deck! lol. I can't imagine getting those parts in the snow!! In the summer they stay out in a kennel during the day, if I let them out on their own, they would be gone or run over.

Get a standard sized Rat Terrier. Standards are in the twenty pound plus range. Good solid dogs! You'll never go wrong with a large type, quality Rat Terrier.

Pooog1":5l2r0zs2 said:
Heritage_Farmboy":5l2r0zs2 said:
Lammie":5l2r0zs2 said:

We have two of them. The oldest one is 8 and the young one is a yearling! In the winter we have to shovel an area for them to go potty as the snow is to deep and they would rather pee on the deck! lol. I can't imagine getting those parts in the snow!! In the summer they stay out in a kennel during the day, if I let them out on their own, they would be gone or run over.

Yes, unfortinately, I have had two that were run over. One was a naked, three legged, five pound miniature that got run over twice. She survived the first bout having had her hip broken in 6 places. I took her home expecting that she would die and darned if she didn't make it. There wasn't any dog she wouldn't take on. She thought she was a much bigger animal, I guess. She, too, liked to pee under the carport if the weather was nasty. Of course, when you weigh five pounds, you make goat poop. Not a big deal.

Latest posts