What kind of dog.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
I've posted questions about dogs before but this is a little different. Now that things are slowing down some (cattle worked and on pasture, hay is taken care of, etc.) I was thinking about getting a new dog - lost the old one a few years ago and never replaced him. I don't need one to work cattle - just something to hang around the house - maybe take it along to the stockyards, etc.
Any suggestions on a low maintenance, easy trained dog ? Last one was a Rott X and was one of the easiest trained dogs ever.

Ryan":3bdrjxun said:
blue healer. love mine and my dad's too.

got 5 blue healers and in my mind there is no dog better than a blue healer...great dogs and great companions

Whatever you do don't get an Alaskan Malamute. My wife raises and shows 'em. They're good dogs and I love 'em, but they're not stay at home farm type dogs. They like to roam if you leave 'em loose. Probably end up getting shot by one of your neighbors.

VanC said:
Whatever you do don't get an Alaskan Malamute. My wife raises and shows 'em. They're good dogs and I love 'em, but they're not stay at home farm type dogs. They like to roam if you leave 'em loose. Probably end up getting shot by one of your neighbors.[/quote

i'd shoot it and skin it and tell people I went wolf hunting in Alaska :lol: ...no...they are some nice lookin dogs but they're too big and bulky for me...I like dogs that are smaller than malamutes...especially since I take my dog with me a lot when im driving around...dont want a big malamute jumping on me and making me wreck :D

Bloodhound.Want some pics? 6 weeks old and on a hot trail!

MVC-025S.jpg

Heritage_Farmboy":17tynrao said:
i'd shoot it and skin it and tell people I went wolf hunting in Alaska :lol: ...no...they are some nice lookin dogs but they're too big and bulky for me...I like dogs that are smaller than malamutes...especially since I take my dog with me a lot when im driving around...dont want a big malamute jumping on me and making me wreck :D

I sometimes wish ours were smaller, too. They're about to eat me out of house and home, and when they're shedding its like living in a stand of cottonwoods. There actually are people in some areas that use them to make wolf hybrids and then sell them as "exotic pets". Lots of people hurt and even killed trying that. Idiots!!

Bullbuyer":1ayajduz said:
Any suggestions on a low maintenance, easy trained dog ? Last one was a Rott X and was one of the easiest trained dogs ever.
Boxer X Weimeraner,or
Boxer X Dane
Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. But I don't know where you could get one unless you bred them yourself.

Have a Rott as a neighbor. That dog is unbelivable friendly and well mannered. His human is a boy about five years old.

VanC":axoabny7 said:
Heritage_Farmboy":axoabny7 said:

I sometimes wish ours were smaller, too. They're about to eat me out of house and home, and when they're shedding its like living in a stand of cottonwoods. There actually are people in some areas that use them to make wolf hybrids and then sell them as "exotic pets". Lots of people hurt and even killed trying that. Idiots!!

I know a guy on the other side of the mountain...he's got a wolfdog...said it was 92% wolf and he keeps it as a pet...what an idiot...and but the way...the same guy also had a german shepard/rottweiler mix that bit a ladies whole arm off the other year...the lady was over 300 pounds also...and the dog took her arm plum off...goes to show what kind of dogs that guy breeds :roll: ...them people are idiots...and about your malamutes...maybe you should get your wife to develope a mini malamute...it even has a good ring to the name :D ...make them so small that you just give them a handful of dogfood every day and it fills them up :) ...and if there is such thing as a mini malamute...then just ignore everything I said about it :lol:

Have a good day VanC

If you want a companion/guard dog I wouldn't get a working breed. I wish we were closer. These guys got dumped.
And they need a home in 3 days.
lostboys.jpg

Weenie dog. I have had them all my life. Loyal, smart and territorial. They come in a variety of textures, sizes and colors. Tough as nails and they live a long time. I'm serious. 20 pound bag of food will last you forever. And they love to travel. I take mine everywhere. No joke. Get yourself a Dachshund.

Bullbuyer":oad4zdu1 said:
I've posted questions about dogs before but this is a little different. Now that things are slowing down some (cattle worked and on pasture, hay is taken care of, etc.) I was thinking about getting a new dog - lost the old one a few years ago and never replaced him. I don't need one to work cattle - just something to hang around the house - maybe take it along to the stockyards, etc.
Well we have all rallied 'round to give you our suggestions about what kind of dog to get. So your question is answered and your decision made.

I'm sure we were all glad to help.

Those bloodhounds are adorable!!! How big do they get? Do they bark that howling echo bark?

Labs are high strung and needy, but they make a great compainion too!

Dobies are great dogs! :)

Ah, here you go. This summarizes the personalities of many breeds. :)

How many dogs does it take to change a lightbulb
GOLDEN RETRIEVER:
The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?

BORDER COLLIE:
Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

DACHSHUND:
You know I can't reach that stupid lamp!

ROTTWEILER:
Make me.

LAB:
Oh, me, me!!!! Pleeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I?

TIBETAN TERRIER:
Let the Border Collie do it. You can feed me while he's busy!

JACK RUSSELL TERRIER:
I'll just pop it in while I'm bouncing off the walls and furniture.

POODLE:
I'll just blow in the Border Collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

COCKER SPANIEL:
Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

DOBERMAN:
While it's dark, I'm going to sleep on the couch.

BOXER:
Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark......

CHIHUAHUA:
Yo quiero Taco Bulb.

IRISH WOLFHOUND:
Can somebody else do it? I've got this hangover....

POINTER:
I see it, there it is, there it is, right there....

GREYHOUND:
It isn't moving. Who cares?

AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD:
First, I'll put all the light bulbs in a little circle..

OLD ENGLISH SHEEP DOG:
Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see a light bulb?

HOUND DOG:
ZZZZZZzzzzz.z.z.z..z..z..z...z

CATS:
Dogs do not change light bulbs. People change light bulbs. So, the question is: How long will it be before I can expect light?

ALL OF WHICH PROVES, ONCE AGAIN, THAT WHILE DOGS HAVE MASTERS, CATS HAVE STAFF...

Here's my 2 cents! Grew up raising Australian Shepherds, not good if you want them to stick around the house. Had ours go and follow a neighbor chasing his cow's home when she was over 12 years old. They wanted to keep her the whole way as she was doing such a good job, but she really couldn't take a 10+ mile trip at that age. I have also had a Great Pyrenees, wonderfully beautiful dog but they really have a large range they like to roam. I currently have two house weiner dogs that are plumb useless if they get outside. They run through all the pens and under all the feet. I really think some of the animals think their some sort of rat! We also have a Golden Retriever as our outside dog. Absolutely wonderful dog, sticks in the yard and loves everyone. He still watches the place, I had a rabid skunk just about run into my little girls and myself and he beat it to us and turned him around in a different direction and with a limp...luckily as he has his rabies shots and we don't!! Have fun and good luck.

My wiener dogs do well outdoors. They stay out there most of the day and then come in at night. Except for one I had that was so small and pathetic that she had to be indoors in the winter because she was naked. All the other animals are used to them. When I was growing up, the wieners never came in the house because my parents would not tolerate a house dog. They did great. Even grew winter coats.

Latest posts