What kind of dog is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
He has taken up with my cattle as I have seen him around at least a month. It is like he guards the cattle and they seem to not mind and I have lost no calves, I know of. He is a beautiful dog. There is only one house within at least a mile and it is not their dog.

xPi8thM.jpg

LvNf0x0.jpg

Looks to me like an Anatolian Shepherd. They are a breed of livestock guard dog. If they are anything like the Great Pyrenees dogs that I had, that dog could have come from quite a ways away. Some of mine liked to roam and were hard to contain. They were once spotted 10 miles away. If you can't find its owners, and it stays around it might be a good thing to have around. My Pyrenees were great at keeping coyotes and buzzards away as long as they were in the field.

Agree, looks like an Anatolian .... they are less of roamers than Great Pyrs.... and are awesome guardians... have several friends with sheep and goats that have them and they would not trade them for anything. They also become very protective of who they consider "their family pack" as in humans.... if you do not find the owner, I would cultivate the relationship... will be invaluable with keeping coyotes and buzzards and even other dogs out of what he considers his charges.

Agree, looks like an Anatolian .... and are awesome guardians. They also become very protective of who they consider "their family pack" as in humans....cultivate the relationship... will be invaluable with keeping coyotes and buzzards and even other dogs out of what he considers his charges.
Probably unemployed from those he considered his charges and has run out of Virginia covid benefits. :)

Looks like you are putting feed and water out for him. Good for you!
He looks and sounds like a valuable asset. Good find!

Looks like you are putting feed and water out for him. Good for you!
He looks and sounds like a valuable asset. Good find!
At first I did not have a clue, I saw him almost daily as it is at least a mile and a half back there. He kelp hanging around and I was a little worried he might hurt the cattle. Just recently I notice the cattle didn't mind, they had taken up with him and he was even guarding me against them when I was around it seemed. I have been feeding him daily recently and he looks for his food, also there is a big Spring just below him, so plenty of water.

At first I did not have a clue, I saw him almost daily as it is at least a mile and a half back there. He kelp hanging around and a little worried he might hurt the cattle. Just recently I notice the cattle didn't mind, they had taken up with him and he was even guarding me against them when I was around it seemed. I have been feeding him daily and he looks for his food now.
Glad you gave him time so you could see what he was about. Big strange dogs don't often last long when they show up around livestock.

Sounds like you've got a new farm hand. He's a nice looking pup. I'd say he will earn his keep keeping critters away even if you don't see them. Some of the best dogs we've ever had came wondering up to us as strays like that. Most seem to appreciate someone caring for them.

Here is my stray that someone dumped. I'm thinking a catahoula lab cross but I am open for suggestions. He has a huge head and giant paws. He is friendly to a fault. I have been feeding him because he looks mean to someone driving up. He is smart enough to stay away from the cows. The barn cats don't care for him though which is not a bad thing.

Attachments

• 20210708_190222.jpg
    20210708_190222.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210701_191641.jpg
    20210701_191641.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
He's a nice looking boy. He sounds like a good one to have around. I could see him being a catahoula and lab mix. Think he could maybe have some pit in him? It's hard telling from a picture. He doesn't look like it in the second picture, but his head in the first picture reminds me of one.

He's a nice looking boy. He sounds like a good one to have around. I could see him being a catahoula and lab mix. Think he could maybe have some pit in him? It's hard telling from a picture. He doesn't look like it in the second picture, but his head in the first picture reminds me of one.
Yup. The face in the first pic definitely looks like a Pit.

If you keep him, try to get him socialized early to any people who might be helping you around the cattle. I go to one farm where they have to lock up their Anatolian when they sell cows because she doesn't like the local trucker messing with her cows.
Excellent point. Some guard dogs get protective enough of their herds and are aggressive enough, that they have to be caught and removed from pastures before stock dogs can be taken into gather the livestock

Here is my stray that someone dumped. I'm thinking a catahoula lab cross but I am open for suggestions. He has a huge head and giant paws. He is friendly to a fault. I have been feeding him because he looks mean to someone driving up. He is smart enough to stay away from the cows. The barn cats don't care for him though which is not a bad thing.

Definitely a Weenier pincher or pincher weenier. 🤷🏽‍♀️🤡 Nevermind would that be a weenier dog and pincher mix? 🤣😝

Yea I have no clue but it's a cool dog.

Latest posts