What kind of deal?

Help Support CattleToday:

t5j1h2

Reaction score
Haven't really seen much to compare these to. What do you think?

What I know
- 5yo Purebred Hereford. Bred to Angus Bull. 1 period. 1800.00
- 5yo Purebred Hereford. Bred to Angus Bull. 3 period. 2250.00
- 6yo Purebred Hereford with 3mo BWF heifer. Bred to Angus Bull. 3000.00

I price cattle based on phenotype, fertility and temperament.

Can't tell much about the former w/o pictures.

When you say "bred to", are these pregnancies verified ... or more of "well, she was in with the bull and so we're assuming she's bred" sort of thing?

Walnut- I have not inquired about them. That is all the info I know. I will try and post the pictures that were offered. And will try and get some more information on them. I saw them on a cattle sales Facebook group.

WalnutCrest":28pd4qyu said:
I price cattle based on phenotype, fertility and temperament.

Can't tell much about the former w/o pictures.

When you say "bred to", are these pregnancies verified ... or more of "well, she was in with the bull and so we're assuming she's bred" sort of thing?
Around here, they just say 'exposed to..or maybe, "I saw him mount her'.....
neither means a dang thing.

Son of Butch":3l96qlvr said:
Based on the little info given I estimate he's asking $7000 for a group that is worth $6000.
1600 + 2000 + 2400 = 6000

I was going to say he's trying to sell em for what they were worth 6 months ago.

Sounds like a bad deal. Too high of an asking price for unsynchronized cattle. It would take too long to get them synched to make it worth it (imo) even at fair market value.

fenceman":9nwrxdr7 said:
Son of Butch":9nwrxdr7 said:
Based on the little info given I estimate he's asking $7000 for a group that is worth $6000.
1600 + 2000 + 2400 = 6000

I was going to say he's trying to sell em for what they were worth 6 months ago.

And depending on location and condition of these cows, $6,000 would be top dollar in the better markets. I have seen a lot of plainer bred cows sell to slaughter or bring just a bid or two over kill price. Pairs with 3 month old calves get split and the cow goes to slaughter. With that the bottom value here is somewhere around $3,500 depending on the cows weight.

Its interesting to note how many folks are out there trying to do the same thing the seller is here. Private party guys, in general, haven't really adjusted their prices it seems...atleast around me. Denial? Got in and over extended?

Thank all you for you thoughts about this deal. I have been busy busy and have not been able to try and post pictures. From what I gather from y'all unless they are willing to come off substantially, this may not be a very good deal so I am just going to keep looking and pass up this sweet deal. Thanks y'all.

hold it if they are real good cows they are worth the asking price easy.going by their ages they are prime cows,the heifer calf off the cow would be worth $1200 or keep her.

bigbull338":1ib3ux9s said:
hold it if they are real good cows they are worth the asking price easy.going by their ages they are prime cows,the heifer calf off the cow would be worth $1200 or keep her.
. 3 month old commercial heifer worth 12 hundred.. Something musta happened in the market over night..

I'm not disputing any opinions, because I figure everyone one this forum is more knowledgeable than I am, but I am not finding just a whole lot of cattle that are much cheaper than this. I am only going off of age, bred, pregnancy checked, vaccinations, and price. Not factoring in anything else, these appear to be in the same ballpark as anything else. I just have been looking on cattlerange.com and four or five different facebook groups all private treaty. This might not be the place to look?

My plan is to try and find something I want that is what I think is the right price range, and then have a friend or multiple friends help me in the aspect of quality.

bigbull338":22hjbfhh said:
hold it if they are real good cows they are worth the asking price easy.
going by their ages they are prime cows,the heifer calf off the cow would be worth $1200 or keep her.
I agree IF...
And IF my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle. ;-) (no offence Bruce Jenner)

I read cattle ads the way I read real estate listings. Charming = old/outdated. Cozy = Too small to keep a cat. ect.
Purebred = NOT Registered. Angus = Black ect.
A good crossbred cow is usually worth more to me than a good "purebred of unknown parentage."

Most farmers do a poor job marketing. Many do a really poor job by not even trying to hit a buyer's Hot Buttons.
No pictures or poor quality, distant photos or just pics of the cow's head and not of the business end.
While I respect that a price was listed. All it tells me is what he wants and little about why I should pay it.
I learned long ago, the easiest money I'll ever make (a penny saved is a penny earned)
is by not paying the asking price, be it from a car dealer, on farm/business equipment or in private treaty sales.

Warren Buffet has said "I'd rather get a fair price on a good company than a good price on a fair company". This is not too far off from a fair price if they are good cattle - genetics, closed herd, disposition, preg checked, vaccinated, etc.... I would pay that for cows I wanted but would make sure I fully understood why I wanted them not just because there's nothing else around at the moment.

angus9259":2ks4nyqm said:
Warren Buffet has said "I'd rather get a fair price on a good company than a good price on a fair company". This is not too far off from a fair price if they are good cattle - genetics, closed herd, disposition, preg checked, vaccinated, etc.... I would pay that for cows I wanted but would make sure I fully understood why I wanted them not just because there's nothing else around at the moment.

+bajillion

If they are excellent cows, they are easily worth the asking price. If they are poor cows, they're not worth a penny over slaughter price. Only your eyeballs (go see the cattle in person and watch their temperament and phenotype) and a study of any DNA tests they've done can tell you which is which.

I went on a 60-hours-of-driving trip last December to look at cattle. I bought exactly one cow and one heifer. Hold your standards high and your checkbook close.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts