What kind of critter?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
What kind of critter eats immature corn ears. I have had many rounds with raccoons getting in the sweet corn just about the time it gets ready to pick. This time my corn is not ready just little blister like kernels with ears maybe just inch or so wide. I find ears pulled completely off and eaten cob and all except for maybe an inch or two and part of the shuck but that is few and far between as most of the ears are completely gone just see the mashed down stalks.

For anyone wondering a bear will sit on its butt and stretch and reach in every direction to get food. Be it corn, blackberries, Polkberries it all is pulled toward the center. With acorns and hickorynuts they will lay on their belly and eat.

Corn monkeys will do that and I reckon they are bad this year. Those little fellers will eat you and/or your dog up, so if you see one be careful. Here is a picture of one.

6450_1086022235190_1365425407_30211178_7333145_n.jpg

jltrent":12tjrwnw said:
Corn monkeys will do that and I reckon they are bad this year. Those little fellers will eat you and/or your dog up, so if you see one be careful. Here is a picture of one.

I didn't tell you that you could post a picture of me! :lol: :lol:

sstterry":12lrkhbh said:
jltrent":12lrkhbh said:

I don't know what that is but it's got to one of the most, if not the most, demented looking creatures I've ever seen.

JMJ Farms":1firs2mz said:
sstterry":1firs2mz said:
jltrent":1firs2mz said:

I don't know what that is but it's got to one of the most, if not the most, demented looking creatures I've ever seen.
That is what my wife tells me every day! :banana:

kenny thomas":lwytwyql said:
For anyone wondering a bear will sit on its butt and stretch and reach in every direction to get food. Be it corn, blackberries, Polkberries it all is pulled toward the center. With acorns and hickorynuts they will lay on their belly and eat.
More and more bears it seems as that might be worth checking into.

kenny thomas":2qebw2pu said:
Any chance it looks like something sit in the middle and pulled corn from every direction to the middle?

It looks like raccoons have been in now with ears pulled down and some plum pulled off but with just a few bites out of the ears. The first I saw was most of the cob eaten and the shucks and an inch or two of the ear left. In some places it does look to be pulled toward a certain area and it is a well worn down area as well and several shucks and pieces of cobs there too. We have had bears around but I would have thought they would mash down more weeds and garden produce. Last year a wide swath was taken through our tomatoes knocking over the vines and cages and eating all of our cherry tomatoes over one night. If they are back this year I wonder how we could deter their presence from the garden.

I have good luck with raccoon control, by playing a radio out in the corn at night a few days before it is ready. I have tried about everything else with not much luck.

Latest posts