what kind of cows would you buy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Whatever makes money, other people's mistakes. SS breeds from dry areas, wet bags that were treated rough. That sort of thing. When Longhorns were 250-300 a pop I should have bought 200 of them. Tigers are my favorite though and I'm stuck with these durn angus. Also really like the red w/face Bradford's like CB and circlew put up a few weeks ago, those and tigers will sure turn some money and calves but they sure cost to get them though.

Angus and Herefords. Cross them get black baldies. Sounds boring I know but those have always been the best calves in my family's commercial herd.

In my area, it would be any breed or cross that was 3/8 to 1/2 Brahman influenced and breed to a Charolais to get a yellow calf that as Caustic would say "mash the scales down". The yellow Char cross calves sell on an even basis with blacks here in Northeast Texas.

My first choice would be Brafords as I have option's by changing the bull I change the entire calf crop color.
Second choice herefords because I can get them cheaper put a good Angus or Char on them.
Brangus would be my last choice with a Hereford bull.
You had better have a thick checkbook as Jed stated if you want Brafords or Brangus in this neck of the woods.

greybeard":1euomjlq said:
salebarn junkie":1euomjlq said:
Any cheap red cow and a good char bull

They got cheap cows somehwere nowdays?

Not really I have sold old wore out cows that did not have a tooth in their head and the lowest price I got was 925 this year.
The girls were still in good body condition but that was slaughter buyers fighting over them.
The only way of getting a better price that I know of right now is haul a trailer to the barn every sale and be willing to come home empty. There was a lot of Mo. cows that came through earlier in the year cheaper but most were so wrecked by the time they got here, I don't know if you could have pulled them out.
I have gotten some "cheaper" due to a lack of back to the farm buyers on that sale day, you still have to beat the order buyers.