WHAT KIND OF COWS SHOULD I USE?

Help Support CattleToday:

not beating up on you, so dont take it wrong.... but how many rodeo bull have you looked at and went wow,, ive seen plenty. big stout meaty looking , no matter how good your bull looks.. i wouldnt use him

I understand perfectly but he is nowhere near a rodeo bull.
Everybody chooses the bulls and cows they want to raise and use. I like him and he works fo rme. He may not work for anyone else. BUt he has proven to me that not all cross bred bulls are something to run away from.

ALACOWMAN":1wmybseo said:
to much a gamble to find out... if i seen a pen of 100 crossbred bulls and one had the hidden potential to sire great calves :?:
I know it is a gamble. He was the first crossbred bull we had ever had. He worked for us, and I would never buy or raise another cross bred bull.
We had never kept crossbred bulls to raise. So after he worked for us the thought of raising another crossbred bull has never entered my mine.

i said I would keep a son, but i doubt i will get any that will ever get close to what this bull has done. Like you said it was a gamble. he was that 1% that worked. And the odds are against me that I can raise another crossbred bull to work for me.

BRAFORDMAN":utguj2ya said:
I have used this bull for about 7 years. HIs heifers range from 1000-1500 lbs.
I have kept heifers for the past 5 years. He is a big bull, but his heifers never get that big. They are what I would call average size cows.
Ahh, just thinking....if his progeny don't have his growth characteristics...what is the purpose of using an bull of his size when you could find one just as good that eats much less and might even allow room for another cow? Like I said, just a though.

1982vett":128ywe7u said:
BRAFORDMAN":128ywe7u said:
I have kept heifers for the past 5 years. He is a big bull, but his heifers never get that big. They are what I would call average size cows.
Ahh, just thinking....if his progeny don't have his growth characteristics...what is the purpose of using an bull of his size when you could find one just as good that eats much less and might even allow room for another cow? Like I said, just a though.
one of the reason why i would never use a bull like that,, they dont sire any thing with solid charactristics... he was never meant to,, any benefits stopped with him.. the ""ONLY"" thing i might concider using him on... is a good solid set of purebred cows

ALACOWMAN":1bqoyj1i said:
1982vett":1bqoyj1i said:
BRAFORDMAN":1bqoyj1i said:
one of the reason why i would never use a bull like that,, they dont sire any thing with solid charactristics... he was never meant to,, any benefits stopped with him.. the ""ONLY"" thing i might concider using him on... is a good solid set of purebred cows

I agree. Thats why he is used on brangus or herefords now. He ads growth and he adds milk and corrects udders. The baldies my dad had raised good calves but the cows did not milk good. All of the heifers out of him have been excelent milkers. They are what you want in heavy milking cows. They milk heavy and keep their condition, unlike alot of heavy milkers. HIs ability to maintain his weight on grass passes on to his offspring.
After the cut back I now have two cows from, him and a few heifers.

My best heifer i got from him was dark red with black legs. She was out of a brangus baldie. She was large framed and milked like a holstein. She was my lead cow. She was everything I wanted in a cow.
She was struck by lightning 2 weeks after having her first calf :shock:

If this old bull can work for me a few more years I hope to get some more heifers Just like her. He is 8 years old and still going strong.

The bigger heifers i got from him were out of black baldies. These heifers were all braford marked.
The smaller heifers were out of santa gert cross cows.These calves were braford marked as well.

I saw the movie of your bull.

You have been given some very good advice from people who are in the cattle business / industry. Several have suggested selling your Braford bull and getting a quality purebred that would compliment and improve your herd. That is excellent advice and I agree with them.

The way you are headed, you are going to end up with a bunch of mongrel cattle - meaning a little bit of this, a little bit of that and who knows what from the woodpile.

I realize that your mind is made up because you always have a quick answer to justify your program.

So why are you bothering the folks here asking the same questions in different ways only to tell those who are trying to help you that they are wrong and that you know better?

chippie":fm4fo4nu said:
I saw the movie of your bull.

You have been given some very good advice from people who are in the cattle business / industry. Several have suggested selling your Braford bull and getting a quality purebred that would compliment and improve your herd. That is excellent advice and I agree with them.

The way you are headed, you are going to end up with a bunch of mongrel cattle - meaning a little bit of this, a little bit of that and who knows what from the woodpile.

I realize that your mind is made up because you always have a quick answer to justify your program.

So why are you bothering the folks here asking the same questions in different ways only to tell those who are trying to help you that they are wrong and that you know better?

There is a new posts what bull should I use.
For what I can say from my experience is I have used this bull for 7 years never had a mongrel calve. I have never had any surprises. i am going to post a vid of his daughters.

I believe that you do not know the definition of mongrel from http://www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of MONGREL

1: an individual resulting from the interbreeding of diverse breeds or strains; especially : one of unknown ancestry
2: a cross between types of persons or things

Yes, you are having mongrel calves because they have so many breeds in them. Unless all of your cattle (bulls and cows) are registered, you have no idea what breeds are actually in them.

BRAFORDMAN":1r08iq6u said:
I agree. Thats why he is used on brangus or herefords now. He ads growth and he adds milk and corrects udders. The baldies my dad had raised good calves but the cows did not milk good. All of the heifers out of him have been excelent milkers. They are what you want in heavy milking cows. They milk heavy and keep their condition, unlike alot of heavy milkers. HIs ability to maintain his weight on grass passes on to his offspring.
After the cut back I now have two cows from, him and a few heifers.

My best heifer i got from him was dark red with black legs. She was out of a brangus baldie. She was large framed and milked like a holstein. She was my lead cow. She was everything I wanted in a cow.
She was struck by lightning 2 weeks after having her first calf :shock:

I'm curious how you know the milk output of your cows. Do you actually milk them and measure?

If they milk like Holsteins and maintain good condition, you might want to share your genetics with the dairy industry.

NO beef cow is ever gonna milk like a holstein,even a average holstein.if u get a beef cow that milks that much i would bet it would turn into trouble unless u put several calves on her and who does that with a beef cow?

Latest posts