What kind of corn to plant?

Help Support CattleToday:

what?":175lpy57 said:
jim no need to apologize just wanted to make sure i was doing it right. i do it different in my mind but oh well i will show my work like we used to do in school. 43,560 / 2.5 = 17,424
17.42 X 12 = 209.04
209.04 / 32 = 6.5
32,000 ppa in 30" rows = 6.5 spacing between plants

doing it mnmtranchings way 43,560 / 3 = 14,520
14.52 x 12 = 174.24
174.24 /87 = 2
87,000 ppa in 36" rows = 2" spacing between plants

now i know i just buy and sell real estate and mnmtranching has done this corn farmer thing alot before but i am glad you responded to this post could you imagine the mess i would have had using mnmtranchings recommendations? just to be sure i called a dekalb person and asked them about plant populations and things i metioned it had been suggested by a person to plant at a population of 87,000 ppa.

he said to me as much as i would like to sell you as much seed corn as possible planting at 87,000 ppa in 36" rows would result in nothing more than a bunch of quack grass in rows. he strongly advised against it. so that would make you correct.

So WHAT, why not start a thread on corn/grain production, this was a thread on economical corn grazing. If you want to plant for grain, lets talk about it. I know how to do that to. Truth is, if you want to plant corn the "correct way" I don't believe you can afford to graze it. Chop it or combine it. Wet weather will make the whole grazing plan near total waste. If you combine or pick the corn you still have the leaves and husk and you have all that corn in the bin.

Now WHAT. :???: Riled, nope you can't get me riled. :D The idea of you upsetting me is kinda funny. :nod:
Your seed dealer that would plant corn thick and get quack grass has nothing on me. :cowboy: I once planted onions and got radishes, and another time planted peanuts and got taters. Stuff happens.

And I can't believe such a simple subject got so much attention. You go ahead and plant corn however you like. Fine and perfectly OK with me.

WHAT ever, But! but! you make it so easy to insult you :) how can one resist. :cowboy:

WHAT! you talking about. :shock:
Don't tell me your CAP KEY broke :frowns:
OK,OK you post, get the last say, then lets let this thread die. OK. :cowboy:
We'll visit again on another thread. :nod:

Can't we all get along? :D
I started this to get opinions and my grandpa said to get as many as you can sort em out and then use what you want.I thank you all for the help but if you keep this up you may get it locked and then someone else won't be able to ask a question.
The way things stand right if I even do this I would try 2 or 3 acres each way to see which would work better for me.
As iv'e said thanks

Rusty good way to do it try several different methods, various types of corn and plant spacing. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Latest posts