what kind of bull to buy

Help Support CattleToday:

novatech":1urney5t said:
birdog":1urney5t said:
novatech":1urney5t said:
Put a registered brahman on them and get black baldies. They will sell as golden certified. There is a large demand for them. Or use them as replacement heifers and come back with a continental. Knock out at the sale barn.

Unless I'm not understanding something, How will he get black baldies from this cross?
You end up with a black cow with white face. Sometimes solid black, but mostly baldies. Just like with herfords, red baldies or tigerstripes.

Does it matter what color brahman you use? I have used a red brahman on angus and got all black or really dark brindles that looked black until the sun shown just right. They made some very good females but the steers got hammered at the sale.

ALACOWMAN":1y71brjl said:
DOC HARRIS":1y71brjl said:
sooknortex":1y71brjl said:
I have a question for all you guys promoting the homozygous black continentals: How did those breeds become homozygous black? and won't this most certainly effect the amount of heterosis since the breed that made them black will be in the cross?
This is good question, sooknortex, and shows that you are thinking!

The breeds became Homozygous Black by using Homozygous Black Individual Bulls of whatever breed they utilized, probably ANGUS originally. And yes, you are correct - genetically, the heterosis will be affected by virtue of the fact that there will be a higher percentage of one breed present, however, that can be balanced out by future meticulous crosses in subsequent matings. One must determine what factors are important to their breeding program in ensuing generations, and plan their future mating combinations accordingly.

Their are always choices. Nothing is easy!

DOC HARRIS
if thats the case they need to put some more homozygosity for black back in the angus. cause i got pure black calve's out of my brangus and black simm bull's and were black at birth but grey's and rats out of my angus and are chocolate at birth.course they will turn black . seems to me the more homozygous their bred for would put more bang of heterosis in the cross... or its been my experiance
-Uh . . . .ummmm. . .
. . put some more homozygosity for black back in the angus.
????? I am a little confused with your rationale! Oh, well, I guess I should review Genetics 101. I suppose I missed something in there somewhere.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":w8t3h9o4 said:
. put some more homozygosity for black back in the angus.
????? I am a little confused with your rationale! Oh, well, I guess I should review Genetics 101. I suppose I missed something in there somewhere.

DOC HARRIS

Me too, I'm still trying to figure out where the white face comes from in a Brahman Angus cross..............

DOC HARRIS":skxwrkbt said:
ALACOWMAN":skxwrkbt said:
DOC HARRIS":skxwrkbt said:
sooknortex":skxwrkbt said:
I have a question for all you guys promoting the homozygous black continentals: How did those breeds become homozygous black? and won't this most certainly effect the amount of heterosis since the breed that made them black will be in the cross?
This is good question, sooknortex, and shows that you are thinking!

The breeds became Homozygous Black by using Homozygous Black Individual Bulls of whatever breed they utilized, probably ANGUS originally. And yes, you are correct - genetically, the heterosis will be affected by virtue of the fact that there will be a higher percentage of one breed present, however, that can be balanced out by future meticulous crosses in subsequent matings. One must determine what factors are important to their breeding program in ensuing generations, and plan their future mating combinations accordingly.

Their are always choices. Nothing is easy!

DOC HARRIS
if thats the case they need to put some more homozygosity for black back in the angus. cause i got pure black calve's out of my brangus and black simm bull's and were black at birth but grey's and rats out of my angus and are chocolate at birth.course they will turn black . seems to me the more homozygous their bred for would put more bang of heterosis in the cross... or its been my experiance
-Uh . . . .ummmm. . .
. . put some more homozygosity for black back in the angus.

DOC HARRIS
well if you read the rest of my post that might have helped with the confusion.... just seems funny that the breed they used to turn those black.has a hard time with the consistently black itself.

dun":2xlbaugf said:
DOC HARRIS":2xlbaugf said:

DOC HARRIS

Me too, I'm still trying to figure out where the white face comes from in a Brahman Angus cross..............
Don't know. But more often than not with gray brahman. Lots of blaze face, sometime white on the belly and udder. With the red mostly all black.

novatech":16zbke6d said:
dun":16zbke6d said:
DOC HARRIS":16zbke6d said:

DOC HARRIS

Don't know. But more often than not with gray brahman. Lots of blaze face, sometime white on the belly and udder. With the red mostly all black.

Have a solid blond brahman/Char F-1 cow bred to a solid black brangus bull. Heifer calf came out dark grey with a blazed face - go figure. :lol: You'd think there was some herf in the woodpile but there isn't.

backhoeboogie":2gvy652j said:
novatech":2gvy652j said:
dun":2gvy652j said:
DOC HARRIS":2gvy652j said:

DOC HARRIS

Have a solid blond brahman/Char F-1 cow bred to a solid black brangus bull. Heifer calf came out dark grey with a blazed face - go figure. :lol: You'd think there was some herf in the woodpile but there isn't.
you get some grey's with black crossed with continenetal influanced.but what im saying is .......how is it that my homozygous black simmental be able to throw 2 consistent calf crop's of solid black calves and my registerd angus bull on the same cows pitch some greys

ALACOWMAN":pcj260za said:
backhoeboogie":pcj260za said:
novatech":pcj260za said:
dun":pcj260za said:
DOC HARRIS":pcj260za said:

DOC HARRIS

you get some grey's with black crossed with continenetal influanced.but what im saying is .......how is it that my homozygous black simmental be able to throw 2 consistent calf crop's of solid black calves and my registerd angus bull on the same cows pitch some greys

Doesn't make sense does it? You'd think the angus would be the consistent one. No doubt it is a gene correlation but I can't answer - only postulate or take a SWAG.

Horntoad,Do your cows have the milking ability and do you have the environment that will allow these crossbred calves to reach their genetic potential?

Latest posts