What kind of bone is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Since the skull was originally at least 6 or more inches long, that would have been a very funny looking skunk. Hope you didn't put much money on skunk - LOL.
I attached a stock photo from the Internet of a small dog skull. Note that the skull being discussed ends where the two points are that are on each side of the top of the nasal bones, so the skull in question was originally at least twice as long as it is now. Except for the more frontward angle of the photo, the back part of this small dog skull closely matches what is left of the skull in question.

Attachments

• stock-photo-the-natural-skull-of-a-small-dog-1043390656.jpg
    stock-photo-the-natural-skull-of-a-small-dog-1043390656.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I dug out my old anatomy book to compare the nerve openings on the under side of the skull to that of a dog. They don't seem to line up with their positions in relation to the tympanic bulla and the zygomatic arches. Also TC's find seems to have a much bonier roof to the mouth which carries a lot further back towards the larynx comparing to the palatine bone of a dog.
Overall from the very first photo TC posted the skull just seems to have that bit more primitive look to it. That is why I suggested the possibility of a turtle early on. I have not looked up a turtle skull yet so don't really know what one looks like.

Ken

Here is a drawing of a dog skull. On the skull being discussed from the pond, all of the bone forward of the purple in the drawing is gone. I was wrong about there being the location of the root of the back most tooth on the skull. That is gone with the rest of the front of the skull. The Zygomatic bone is missing in addition to the Maxilla and Nasal bone and all the teeth. As I said previously, dog skulls vary depending on the breed and the shape of the frontal bone is the portion that varies quite a bit. The Zygomatic process is the widest part at the top of the old skull in the photo and the V shaped spot in the middle of the top of the bone is where the back of the nasal bones used to fit. The things that look like horns are the Zygomatic process of temporal, shown in the grey area with parallel lines in it in the drawing. I hope this helps somewhat.

Attachments

• Top view of dog skull.jpg
    Top view of dog skull.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Side view of dog skull.jpg
    Side view of dog skull.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Back part of dog skull.jpg
    Back part of dog skull.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts