What kind of BBQ person are you?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Cook hot and fast or slow and cool
What type of woods do you use?
Electric smoker or regular
Do you prefer your bbq light bark or heavy?
Vinegar based bbq sauce or sweet ?
What kind of rub ? Hot ? sweet?
Inject?
BBQ with coleslaw on the side ? or on the sandwich? or none at all?

Ron which method did you use on that squirrel ? :lol2:

First of all, potato salad is way better with any kind of BBQ than cole slaw. Cole slaw goes with fish and seafood.

skyhightree1":1q3gxthv said:
Inject?

Many, depends on the meat.
Had electric & charcoal - liked it - Got gas now - like it - Want a big pull behind KA smoker like Hook's.
A dream of mine....
Econo1.jpg

Heavy
Yep, depends on the my mood & the meat
Tried it - Didn't make much diff to me

Got a funny story 'bout coleslaw.
I am from the Memphis school of smoking & eating. I lived in Tejas. Ordered coleslaw on my sandwich. Every person in the kitchen had to come out to see the fool wanting coleslaw on his sandwich. I learned to order on the side to prevent scorn.

Moved back up around Memphis. Had to have me a pork BBQ sandwich. Ordered coleslaw on the side. The sandwich came with coleslaw on the sandwich without me asking.

Another dream of mine..
Arg1.JPG

BTW - I view grilling and smoking as BBQing...

I like my BBQ St.Louis style. Lots of sweet sauce and cooked over a open flame, the way BBQ was meant to be cooked. :D

I like my meat heavy bark and generally will smoke a piece all night low and slow till it falls apart and I love coleslaw on my sandwich. I like honey based bbq sauces and also sweet rubs. I use a simple rub of brown sugar salt pepper chili powder paprika and I also inject apple juice I smoke it the regualar way with wood I cut and split with a lil charcoal. I use a lot of hickory wood and I like to mix white and red oak in there as well.

skyhightree1":2oaastqe said:
Slow, and my father, who cooked the best barbeque I've ever eaten, never used a thermometer. He said the pit should be just hot enough that you can't keep your hand on it.
Pecan or oak, burning off to the side. Use the coals from this fire in the pit.
I thought the question was about barbeque. Why are you asking about smokers?
Somewhere in the middle, but leaning toward heavy.
Mop the meat about every half hour during cooking with a vinegar and water-based sauce (vinegar, water, onions, lemons, seasoning, etc). Tomato-based sauce on the meat when eating. Some sweetness in it from brown sugar, but not much.
Salt and Pepper.
Inject?
No.
Potato salad and beans (preferably pinto beans) on the side. Just onions on a sandwich.

And by the way, I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but if meat is cooked with the heat source way away from it, such as in a firebox, that's not barbeque. That's smoked meat. It might be good, but it's not barbeque. If the meat is directly above the coals, that's barbeque.

Rafter S":3b4132w1 said:
And by the way, I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me, but if meat is cooked with the heat source way away from it, such as in a firebox, that's not barbeque. That's smoked meat. It might be good, but it's not barbeque. If the meat is directly above the coals, that's barbeque.
How do you cook (BBQ) an 8 lb or larger brisket of direct heat and end up with a piece of meat you an actually chew and disgest??

Guess everybody has their own definition. direct heat to me is "grilled". But I like a heavy bark, no BBQ sauce.. I enjoy tasting the meat without the doctored up sstuff on it. Slow cooked over low heat. Maybe that's "Smoked" but that's the way most BBQ is done in Texas. And Sky you can keep the cold slaw.. :lol2: :lol2: I want some tater salad and cowboy beans.

If you can't drink a case of hard lemonade before the cook is finished then you got the smoker too hot.

You don't want a real hot fire. Cooking a large brisket should take up to 8 hours or more. It's done when you stick a large serving fork in it and don't get much resistance when you pull it out.[/color]
Guess everybody has their own definition. direct heat to me is "grilled". To me, "grilled" is what you do with a steak or hamburger. But I like a heavy bark, no BBQ sauce.. I enjoy tasting the meat without the doctored up sstuff on it. Slow cooked over low heat. Maybe that's "Smoked" but that's the way most BBQ is done in Texas. I agree with you about slow-cooked over low heat. The "smoking" I referred to is when the fire is in a fire box far away from the meat. That excessive smoke flavor gives me terrible heartburn. And Sky you can keep the cold slaw.. :lol2: :lol2: I want some tater salad and cowboy beans.Me too.

skyhightree1":d5zxx1cu said:
Inject?

-Usually low and slow if I have the time but it I want to do some chicken or small cuts of pork I will do some faster offset grilling/smoke if I want to get some good BBQ flavor while not having to babysit it for hours.
-I use a variety of woods but mostly fruit woods now such as Apple or Peach if I can find some. Might add a chunk or 2 of Hickory and Peacan to it just for a little bit of bite
-Regular smoker, charcoal with wood infuses the best flavor IMO. Take more effort but worth it
- Bark: depends on the meat, chicken I don't but with large cuts like pork but or brisket I want some bark on it
- Sauce: again it depends on the meat, for pulled pork vinegar based, everything else usually more saucy and personally I like a little kick to my sauce but if I am serving a large number of people I usually play it safe and go a little sweeter than usual as not everyone likes heat
- Rub: same rules with the sauce, depends on the meat and crowd that will consume it
- Inject: for large cuts like pork butt or loin or a brisket yes. chicken really doesn't need it. I like to do a beer can whole chicken, it's not really injecting but smoking it with the beer can in the cavity makes some delicious chicken

Baked beans are a great side, especially if you add them towards the end of the smoke and get some of that flavor with it. Also do some smoked jalapeno creamed corn once in awhile

I try to never cook over 225*

Depends on the meat. I use hickory regularly on briskets and most beef. I ALWAYS cut the hickory with some pecan to smooth the flavor a bit. If I throw a ribeye on the hot end I'll use mesquite. The absolute best (IMHO) for pork loin or butt is peach, although apricot will do in a pinch. Pork ribs are normally straight pecan.

I have a commercial Cookshack, which is electric, left over from my commercial days. Never thought I would like electric but when you want a consistently good product it does the job.

Heavy on the beef and lighter on the pork ribs.

My sauce has a good amount of vinegar with lots of ketchup . It has brown sugar, but not very sweet. Had a few customers that used to drink the stuff.

Spicy type of rub, never sweet.

Sometimes I'll inject the butts with apple juice.

Coleslaw is not a requirement and I've eaten on and as a side. Good either way

TexasBred":2fmf89y7 said:
Rafter S":2fmf89y7 said:
How do you cook (BBQ) an 8 lb or larger brisket of direct heat and end up with a piece of meat you an actually chew and disgest??

Guess everybody has their own definition. direct heat to me is "grilled". But I like a heavy bark, no BBQ sauce.. I enjoy tasting the meat without the doctored up sstuff on it. Slow cooked over low heat. Maybe that's "Smoked" but that's the way most BBQ is done in Texas. And Sky you can keep the cold slaw.. :lol2: :lol2: I want some tater salad and cowboy beans.

I couldn't agree with more! Sauces and coatings can be good but the true test of bbq done right is how does it taste and how tender is it without all of coatings lathered on? I like to have the sauce on the side if any. Yep, Potatoe salad not cold slaw. Green beans with bacon work too. Direct flame=grilled. Little trick I learned with pecan wood was to trim the bark off first then cut up the wood for bbq after soaking the pieces in water. Pecan bark imparts an acidic bite to the meat which I don't care for.

no coleslaw here either--------------nastiness personified.

Direct heat--slight char outside, juicy inside.
I prefer acetylene, but mapp gas will work too.
rosebud_heating.jpg

SV6_Searing-Blowtorch_Short-Rib_VQ6B0137.jpg

TexasBred":3ggmebkq said:
Rafter S":3ggmebkq said:

I will gladly keep the slaw lol

I see this is an old thread but I'll reply anyway since it was drug back up.
I smoke mine on an old school smoker using oak, low and slow, I like a heavy bark, vinegary sauce, I slather it in mustard then my rub is a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders and kavenders. I prefer a mayonnaise slaw on it

Latest posts