What kind of BBQ person are you?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cook hot and fast or slow and cool
What type of woods do you use?
Electric smoker or regular
Do you prefer your bbq light bark or heavy?
Vinegar based bbq sauce or sweet ?
What kind of rub ? Hot ? sweet?
Inject?
BBQ with coleslaw on the side ? or on the sandwich? or none at all?

Ron which method did you use on that squirrel ? :lol2:
Smoked slow and low with indirect heat. My smoker is a Rube Goldberg contraption with a firebox made from an old water heater tank and a vertical smoke box. I don't like it because it's too small for a whole brisket in one piece. Usually 12 hrs for a whole brisket but the smoke color out the stack is just a light grey or nearly white. if it's any darker for long, it puts lots of those bitter compounds in the bark. My old professor called them chicken wire compounds caused by incomplete combustion. I use red and white oak because that's what grows on my place. I prefer mesquite or maybe pecan but not much where I live now. The standard I use for the perfect brisket tast was from my childhood in Las Cruces, NM. Jerry Kovar grubbed mesquite roots out in the desert for his pit. I like nearly any sauce because, if you do it right, your BBQ won't need any. My rub for brisket is just kosher salt and cracked black pepper. for pork, I use a mixture of onion, garlic, chile powder, along with salt, pepper and brown sugar. I have injected a pork shoulder but it didn't help much. It may seem strange but I like a sweet slaw that includes pineapple and celery seeds on the side please.