what kind of american english do you speak?

Help Support CattleToday:

chrisy":3prbgncv said:
I will have to start wearing that hat with the corks on again. get out the way Croc Dundee here comes Chrisy :cboy: couldn't find a hat with corks so this one will have to do. :lol: ;-)

you'll also need a big knife like him and a croc tooth necklace :)

badaxemoo":3aaqon5o said:
Heritage_Farmboy":3aaqon5o said:
spanish? :shock: ...come on chrisy :lol: ...you should go to a walmart around here...you'd know if he was spanish if when he talked it just sounded like he said one big word...no spaces in between the words :) ...they talk too fast...I say if they dont speak english then they need to go the he!! back where they came from

I'm starting to cringe every time I hear the word "they".

Just who is the "they" that you are talking about?

Do you know for sure these folks speaking Spanish aren't also able to speak English and are just choosing to converse in Spanish?

Spanish sentences used to sound like one big word to me as well until I took the time to learn a little of the language.

Should my great-grandparents have
  • been kicked out of the
  • United States at the turn of the century since they spoke Norwegian and weren't fluent
in English?

I've read quite a few of your posts and before you criticize people for not being fluent in English, perhaps you should attempt to polish your own sub-par language skills.

Otherwise, someone might ask you to leave the country.
i know i would of appreciated it if they had

Your Political Profile:
Overall: 85% Conservative, 15% Liberal
Social Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Personal Responsibility: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal
Fiscal Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Ethics: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
Defense and Crime: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal

Heritage_Farmboy":39gm5y0v said:
chrisy":39gm5y0v said:
I will have to start wearing that hat with the corks on again. get out the way Croc Dundee here comes Chrisy :cboy: couldn't find a hat with corks so this one will have to do. :lol: ;-)

OK!, can't have a knife here, and the only Croc's are in the zoo, think I will be arrested if I tried to get one of them. Do ya think I could get Gater's instead and come back to the States???, I can speak English, then me and Dundee could compete ;-) 8) :lol:

chrisy":xdhdu559 said:
Heritage_Farmboy":xdhdu559 said:
chrisy":xdhdu559 said:

OK!, can't have a knife here, and the only Croc's are in the zoo, think I will be arrested if I tried to get one of them. Do ya think I could get Gater's instead and come back to the States???, I can speak English, then me and Dundee could compete ;-) 8) :lol:
One of the finest custom handmade knives I have ever seen was made by a man in Ponchatoula, Louisiana. That is a small town north of New Orleans. If you ever are in that neck of the woods you may check him out.
There is another knife maker in Baton Rouge, Louisiana that is supposed to be really good. The only problem is these people expect to be paid what their knives are worth. A lot :!: But you could certainly compete with Dundee if you were so armed.

I liked Ponchatoula, when we were out there, next time I will have to take the address from you and I will see what I can do, I could start my dealings with the alligator outside Pauls Place, I may be arrested but at least I will be aloud to stay in Louisiana that way ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: before I go in with the Gator I could have a few Dacories at Pauls, they were good the best I tasted.

Cypress do you know the area? as the old train there has Cypress Mills on the side, when I saw this I thought of you. :cboy:

I liked the quaintness of the town, and how it has not changed that much in about 100 years when a battle in the Civil War was faught there. I know it is the wrong area but I was half expecting Wyatt Herp to come walking down Main Street, everyone was so friendly, shaking our hands and saying welcome, alies and wanting us to speak to them as they liked our English accents. sorry I am going off tangent and stealing this thread.

chrisy":1nlcf5ib said:
I liked Ponchatoula, when we were out there, next time I will have to take the address from you and I will see what I can do, I could start my dealings with the alligator outside Pauls Place, I may be arrested but at least I will be aloud to stay in Louisiana that way ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: before I go in with the Gator I could have a few Dacories at Pauls, they were good the best I tasted.

Cypress do you know the area? as the old train there has Cypress Mills on the side, when I saw this I thought of you. :cboy:

I liked the quaintness of the town, and how it has not changed that much in about 100 years when a battle in the Civil War was faught there. I know it is the wrong area but I was half expecting Wyatt Herp to come walking down Main Street, everyone was so friendly, shaking our hands and saying welcome, alies and wanting us to speak to them as they liked our English accents. sorry I am going off tangent and stealing this thread.

I bet you didnt get that warm a welcome in Florida, did you? Florida seems to have really gotten RUDE. And guaranteed its not the native crackers that are rude... its all our transplants.

Looks like I,m a mix breed. :oops: :oops:
60% General American English

10% Dixie

10% Upper Midwestern

10% Yankee

5% Midwestern

well Critter, we were in Disney World the whole time in Florida, so I guess I can say they were all nice, as they have to be to their guests. :lol:

Now I'm really confused! 1st test results:
65% Gen. Am. Eng.
15% Upper Midwestern
10% Midwestern
5% Dixie
0% Yankee

2nd test results
60% Dixie

3rd test score 38

My mama's people come from Oklahoma. I lived a very short time in Oklahoma. Raised most of my life in Iowa. I don't understand. I thought Yankee was anything north and Dixie was anything south.

***Your Linguistic Profile:***

45% Dixie

45% General American English

5% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

0% Yankee

Some of the categories didn't have my expressions. The 5% Yankee is about half embarrassing. Heck, I even pronounce every R. What's up with that? Why not put "none of the above" for the two or three that don't apply?

45% General American English

35% Dixie

5% Midwestern

5% Upper Midwestern

5% Yankee

25% Dixie

10% Yankee

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern

I never heard some of the sayings. :D enjoyed

10% Dixie
10% Upper Midwestern
10% Yankee
5% Midwestern

I guess My midwestern trats went away since like Dun I've moved around alot - 21+ in USAF and the last 25 in CenTX but still say Go Huskers! and remember what husking was. :D

First test from What Kind of American English Do You Speak
Your Linguistic Profile:
55% General American English
15% Yankee
10% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

Strange... I'm 100% Canadian and speak Canadian english (OK, Albertan), but of course there's always the American influence that a body's got to think about... no offence... Say, some of my family history roots are found in the US! Especially around Montana and Nebraska, where my great grandpa was a roughneck (I think...) before he moved north across the border.

Second test from Are You a Yankee or a Rebel?
16% Dixie. Wow! You are a Duke (maybe Duchess...) of Yankeedom!

And most of my ancestors in the 1700s were Loyalists... :shock:

Third test from How Liberal or Conservative are you?
Your Political Profile:
Overall: 70% Conservative, 30% Liberal
Social Issues: 50% Conservative, 50% Liberal
Personal Responsibility: 75% Conservative, 25% Liberal
Fiscal Issues: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal
Ethics: 25% Conservative, 75% Liberal :eek:
Defense and Crime: 100% Conservative, 0% Liberal

Alberta is 100% Conservative (ALL MP's here are Conservative!) :D And then there's the Fed. gov't, but enough said. ;-)

Latest posts